Paris in February

Jan 16th, 1999, 06:35 PM
marcy

Paris in February

Travelling solo, mature female, in Paris week of February 10. 6 days. Staying at a Meridien Hotel. Any clues on what to expect of the Hotel, neighborhood, weather? What will I be near. Best train pass to purchase. Can I get to the Mediterranean and back in that time?

Jan 18th, 1999, 11:49 AM
Christina

I think your post may be too general and cryptic for responses. Have no clue as to what neighborhood you're talking about as you give no address nor area--there are probably thousands of hotels in Paris. I'm not familiar with Meridien, if that's chain. However, sure, you could get to Mediterranean & back in 6 days if that's all you wanted to do, the train will take up a full day each way (somewhere around 7-8 hours, I think, from Paris to Nice, for example).
Paris should be in 40s Farenheit during day, mid 30s at night, might rain. Southern France will be drier and about 10 degrees warmer in daytime.

Jan 18th, 1999, 12:20 PM
Monica

Hi Marcy,

IMO Paris is such a beautiful city with many things to see and do that I would recommend staying in Paris and doing a day trip or two in between (such as Versailles and Claude Monet's home and gardens).

Where is your hotel located?

Jan 18th, 1999, 12:22 PM
Monica

Hi Marcy, me again. I meant to also mention Chartres as a day trip choice. Beautiful Cathedral and lovely town.

Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:53 PM
tina

Marcy, I am staying in Paris in March and I don't think that the 12 days I have will be enough. The Meridien hotels that i have been in on business in the states are very nice. As it is a French chain I would expect it to be lovely. I am also traveling alone. If you are set on the Mediterranean consider an overnight train. The website www.parisfranceguide.com should be a help.

Jan 25th, 1999, 01:59 AM
Vincent

To my knowledge, there are two Meridien hotels in Paris : one in porte Maillot, the other in Montparnasse, two very "good", but very different, neighborhoods. Try to find out which one you are staying at. As for the quick trip to the Riviera, the overnight train is a good option, as posted before. You might also check the off-season rates offered by air companies such as Air France, or AOM and Air Liberté, which are private carriers (should be around $110 RT to Nice). Or if you don't want to take an overnight train or fly, you can take the daytime TGV to Avignon (3 hours), which is as Mediterranean as and more authentic than the Riviera.