B&B in Southern Germany

Jan 13th, 1999, 06:57 PM
Lynn

B&B in Southern Germany

Message: Travelling by car from Munich to Bavaria,Black Forest and back to Munich down the "romantic road". Does anyone have any good B&B in these areas? Would prefer mid-ranged priced inns, but will pay extra for a particularly charming place.

Jan 14th, 1999, 04:13 AM
Maira

Lynn---do a search for 'GERMANY" within this forum (upper right field) and you will find MANY suggestions for B&B in the Bavarian region. Particularly impresive is the advice you get on the subject from Wes Fowler (9/20/98).

Jan 14th, 1999, 05:52 AM
Al

No problem. As you drive along the roads (not the autobahns), you will see small signs in front of home, farmhouses, etc. They show beds, either green or red. Green means they have an opening; red means they are full. The signs usually have such words as "zimmer frei" (room open) or "fremdenzimmer" (room for strangers) or "gasthaus" (guest home) painted on them. Simply walk up to the door, present yourself, and say "Haben sie ein zimmer frei fur heute nacht?" -- and the home owner will take it from there. We have literally stayed in dozens of such places, much to our delight. In towns, look for the "verkehrsburo" or tourist office. They can give you directions to dozens of good places. We have found them to be immaculate, inexpensive, and many have some family members who speak quite good English and love to practice it with you. Kids of high-school age are particularly anxious to practice their English. And if you, like us, speak a smattering of German, the doors practically fly open.

Jan 14th, 1999, 06:34 PM
mustangs81

I agree with everything that Al posted. Our first trip to Bavaria 12 years ago, we had hotel reservations for 2 weeks. The third night we were too far from the hotel to go back so we tried a zimmer, rather reluctantly. Since then we have never gone back to hotels, for the reasons Al states. But also, because I'm not comfortable with having to be at a particular address in a place where I'm not familiar, on a specific date, so zimmers work for us. We do try to stay in a schloss hotel (castle) one or two nights each trip.

Jan 14th, 1999, 06:38 PM
Denise Scandiffio

Over 2 years ago we stayed at the Hotel Uhland in Munich. I have seen it posted many times since on this site. I highly recommend it if you are staying in Munich. Reasonable, comfortable rooms, good breakfast and location.

Jan 15th, 1999, 04:53 PM
Glenn

Lynn, I also agree with Al about the Zimmers. That was our main source of lodging on our last trip. If the town is small and may not have a tourist office, look for a glass display case. They post photos and addresses of people in town who offer rooms. This becomes of of the best parts of the trip. You can get any info about the area from the locals or any special events going on.
As Al said, trying to speak German, even with a phrase book goes a long way. Enjoy !

Jan 19th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Tim

Stayed in a nice gasthof called Kastenwirt, in Grafing, on the east side of Munich. The rooms were large, cost about 75 DM. Breakfast was great, has a beer garden and restaurant also. Nice atmosphere - the town of Grafing is small, but somewhat typical Bavarian town.

Jan 19th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Bob

Rothenburg: Reichs Kutchenmeister. Small town in Black Forest is Ober Wolfach-Walke. Stay in Hirschen. Garmisch: Hilleprandt Hotel Room 1 or 2. Any other info on these needed, email me with info needed and I will respond. Also: Check out Karen Brown book on German Inns. Very good references.

Jan 25th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Doug

I took Wes Fowler's advice and stayed in Hohenfurch on the Romantic Road and found it to be my favorite stop on our recently concluded Bavarian trip. The hotel is the Schonach-Hof and it's a real bargain. Our family of 4 stayed in a room with modern plumbing, TV, a kitchenette (stove and refrig) for only 150 DM per night. (Ask for the Pfaffenwinkl room). The restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced. No one in the place spoke English, but we had no problems communicating. In fact, the innkeeper and his wife sat down with us at dinner and pointed-out places of interest on the maps and brochures they gave us. We even had a friendly argument about who was a better soccer team, Bayern Munchen or Munchen 1860. I never heard of either one but that didn't stop us.
Hohenfurch is only a few minutes from the picturesque Wieskirche and another beautiful church in Rottbuch. The Royal Castles and Fussen are about 20 minutes away, while Oberammergau, Garmisch and Linderhof are also a short drive away. Landsberg is about 10 miles North. Steingaden is to the South. Although we didn't have time to stop there, I have since read that it's one of the "unknown" wonders of Bavaria. It's a walled city with narrow streets and quaint shops, but without the tourists.
The hotel is only a couple country blocks away from the Romantic Road. The nearby Jet gas station had the cheapest Benzin price in all Bavaria at only 1.40 DM per liter. (approx $3.50 per gallon).