Search

Paris in 4 days

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in 4 days

We (in our early 30s) will be in Paris for 4 days, from May 25-29, first time in Paris and looking for suggestions of what to see/where to stay. I was thinking to get smth in Champs Elysees or Opera area. any advice there? How about Latin Quarter?

Can you please help me with an itenary and any suggestions are appreciated.
We do enjoy history and architectural sites. I also would love to see Luxemburg gardens. Is it worth to go all the way up on Eiffel Tower? i read that one of the elevators was broken, does anyone know if it is fixed/will be fixed by the end of May?
would you suggest to see Moulin Rouge? tour to Versaile? Sienne tour? at night or day one?

Also, i want to do smth romantic and reserve some nice restauirant with a nice view for one of the nights. Any suggestions?

I know it's a lot, i feel a bit overhelmed. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, arriving on 25th, leaving on 29th, you actually have only 3 whole days - which isn't enough to do anything apart from central Paris - forget Versailles for example.

you definitely want to stay somewhere central but the Champs Elysees would not be the most interesting or convenient place, IMHO - the left bank and the opera would be better, as would the area around Notre Dame, as they make it so easy to get around. you might also like to consider where you are arriving in Paris - if you are coming into CDG or the Gare du Nord with Eurostar, you might consider looking for a hotel near an RER B station so that you have an easy transfer.

I can't help with the Eiffel tower, sorry, but would suggest that a boat trip along the Seine would be nice, as would climbing the tower of Notre Dame. After that, there are many, many things that you could see or do, depending on your interests. if you like art, there are the world-famous museums such as the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay, if you like history, there is the Marais and Les Invalides, if you like architecture, the grands boulevards and the Beaubourg, etc. etc. etc.

i suggest you get your accommodation booked, and then get hold of a guide book and start to look at things you might be interested in.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks for a quick reply. really want to visit Versailles, that's why decided to skip Louvre, considering to extend trip by 2 days, initially we planned to spend 2 days in London, is Versailles a whole day thing?

also, as to accomodation, i'll skip Champs Elysees then, but what about Latin Quarter? any opinion on that?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Have you checked out Airbnb? You can get inexpensive but pretty cool places in the middle of Paris... for example, we're going in June and spending $95 for a studio near Montmartre.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Its hard to say how long you will need to wait for the Eiffel tower; In September last year it was a 45 minute wait from level 2 to the top, and my guess at least 35 minutes to buy your tickets. this was at 8:45pm at night. Montparnasse Tower is less crowded and some say gives the best view as you can see the Eiffel tower in full view; its also a bit more central.
Considering the time you have, an open top bus tour would be a great way to view the city for a first timer on your first day.
http://www.parislopentour.com/paris-accueil.php?lng=gb
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM

I stayed at hotel Minerve in the Latin Quarter and found the area to be ok; walking distance to Luxembourg Gardens.

You may find dinner with a view of the Eiffel Tower romantic?

http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/index.html

fodors link also

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...estaurants.cfm
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM

We will be staying at HOtel Bonaparte in the 6th. Haven't been to Paris yet, but the 6th (St. Germain) is a good central location so you should check out the Bonaparte.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 06:55 PM

The Batobus hop-on-hop-off boat on the Seine would be helpful with your little one. It is a way to take a break and sit for awhile, deciding your next activity. You can ride it around the loop if your child wants to nap. It is beautiful after dark. Your child would love to see thelights of Paris at night.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 01:17 AM

Our first trip to Paris was a 4 nighter during the same time period. We had a wonderful time and it was the beginning of our love affair with Paris. We stayed in the Marais at Hotel Bretonnerie on Ste. Croix de la Bretonnerie. It turned out to be a very good choice. We had one of the smaller doubles, classic room. It overlooked the street, which we prefer. The location was very good; walkable with metros not far.

We also went to the top of the Eiffel Tower twice; once during the day and again on our last night. We haven't done it since and we've been back 9 times. I don't think we could top that first experience. I recommend a ride to the top if possible.

We managed to squeeze in alot that first trip. We did get a Paris Visite card and a museum card. We haven't done that on subsequent trips, but we felt comfortable with doing that our first trip. The museum card does save time on lines and as I didn't know what to expect with the transportation I wanted to be able to just show a card and not fumble around with ticket purchases for metro and bus. Now we just buy the carnet, 10 tickets. If you like to walk and you should definitely do this in Paris, you will see so much more, the carnet may be all you need.

We didn't do Versailles until our 2nd trip and for me it was just ok. Others may love it, it's just not my thing.

We still try to get to Paris every year or every other year for short trips. Our longest has been a week and shortest 3 nights. It's our #1 destination in Europe. I think I would consider skipping London and just doing Paris and take in London on another trip.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
really want to visit Versailles, that's why decided to skip Louvre, considering to extend trip by 2 days, initially we planned to spend 2 days in London, is Versailles a whole day thing?>>

on our last trip we went to Versailles for the first time in 30 years - and found it a tad wanting too, though the chilly weather may have contributed to that. not quite a full day trip - more like 3/4.

IMHO the Latin Q or left bank -mainly the 5th-6th arrondisements - is a place to be or live in, rather than visit. I would suggest staying there, then you can enjoy the atmosphere in the evenings. also very convenient for getting the RER C to Versailles if you decide to go.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Agree to skip Versailles. I don't enjoy the Champs Elysee at all. Very commercial and crowded. A Seine cruise at night would be enjoyable to see the monuments lit up.

I prefer the 6th for accomodations. The area around Odeon is convenient for buses and the Metro. And easy walk to Luxembourg Gardens, Notre Dame, The Cluny, D'Orsay and more.

I am not a fan of going up the ET, so have not done it. Just not my thing. I guess my opinion is that the time it requires isn't a big enough payoff for me. I did enjoy climbing the towers and Notre Dame and the view of Paris from the top.

A restaurant with a view is a little harder. if you want excellent dining with great service (and a great price tag to go with), Le Cinq is a an occasion place, but no view.

Many like Taillevent, but I am not sure about the view there, if any. Le Jule Verne is in the Eiffel Tower, so that may be a good option for you (takes care of the ET question, although you won't be going to the top). La Tour d"argent is supposed to have a great view of Notre Dame but many say that it is not the renowned restaurant it once was. Le Grand Vefour has been around since Napoleon, but again, not sure about the view. Our favorite occasion place in L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in the 6th, but it is not "romantic", but it is modern and the food is wonderful. Our favorite small place is Reed in the 7th; reasonable prices, very charming, quaint and the food is awesome.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

thank you rachie205 for website with appts, checking it right now, wanted to book smth via priceline but cannot agree with them on a price, so still looking/deciding on area to stay. is montmarte good area?
theotherside, thank you for tour suggestion and a link, i like the restauramt too, do they have foie gras? wanted to try it in france? and do i need a reservation in advance?

Le Sing looks nice but seems pricey too, i wouldn't want spent more then $300 for both, i heard of Jule Verne, if you go there--does it mean you can go all the way up without line?
thank you denisea for all food choices, will focus now on accomodation and then will pick food choices
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 03:12 AM

natallia_d

I haven't been to the Les ombres Restaurant so unfortunately cannot comment on reservation and menu but tripadvisor has very good reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restau...de_France.html

The bus tour I have been on a few years back, and gives a great view of the overall city, and will simplify your initial transportation needs.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 03:42 AM

As others have said, please skip Versailles for this short time. OUr kids went up the ET late at night and the line was not so long. They got engaged at the top!! Otherwise, you might just skip it this time.
Is there a baby involved? One post mentioned it.
Yes on Jules Verne getting you to the first level ahead of the crowd. Go for lunch and see the city spread out before you. and a bit of a break on price!!
DO take a look at the buses--you get to actually see Paris, and may end up closer to where you want to be.
Don't get the Paris Visite pass-it is not worth the price.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys
No baby in Paris, but we do have 2 littles ones, 4month and 21 month, my mom and a nanny will be taking care of them. Hopefully you won't think it's too crazy..

Have a question on Moulin Rouge....everyone seems to have an opinion on that...Are there any other good shows besides that to go to in the evening? One evening will do a Sienne cruise, one--nice dinner, i'm trying to come up with smth for another night. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

wanted to see The Barber of Seville but it's sold out during our stay. Is there website similar to ticketmaster in france?