Paris, I love you

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, I love you

While the above title of my post does echo my feelings of Paris, it actually refers to a film I just watched yesterday called "Paris, I Love You" (or "Paris, je t'aime"). Here is the IMDB link:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0401711/

For those out there who are enamored by the city, I would really suggest taking a look at this film. There are some notable directors and some big names in terms actors from the French cinema, English cinema and Hollywood who are in the movie. Here's a plot outline from IMDB (it's gonna be a bit big):

Paris, je t'aime is about the plurality of cinema in one mythic location: Paris, the City of Love. Twenty filmmakers will bring their own personal touch, underlining the wide variety of styles, genres, encounters and the various atmospheres and lifestyles that prevail in the neighborhoods of Paris. Each director has been given five minutes of freedom, and we, as producers, carry the responsibility of weaving a single narrative unit out of those twenty moments. The 20 films will not appear in the order of the arrondissements, from one to twenty, but rather, in a pertinent narrative order, initially unknown to the audience. They will be fused together by transitional interstitial sequences, and also via the introduction and epilogue sequences of the feature film. Each transition will begin with the last shot of the previous film and will end with the first shot of the following film, and will have a threefold function: 1) The first is to extend the enchantment and the emotion of the previous segment, 2) The second is to prepare the audience for the surprise of the next segment, and 3) The third is to provide a general, comfortable and cohesive atmosphere to the feature film. The delightful and brief interludes of these transitions will enable the viewer to slide from one world to the next, featuring a recurring and unexpected character. This mysterious character is a witness to the Parisian life and helps create a continuous narration. It appears both in and in-between the films. In addition to the information these transitions will provide about the city and its people, their tone will be intentionally light often referring to famous scenes easily attributed to the history of Paris cinema. Similar specifications will be followed by the composer who will supervise the musical fusion between the films and the transitions as he creates the musical score of Paris, je t'aime. Considering the common theme of Paris and Love, the fusion between the films and the transitions, the fast pace of a fluid and complete storytelling, Paris, je t'aime will not be just another "anthology" picture. It will be a unique collective feature film that will constitute a two-hour cinematographic spectacle whose original structure will make for a dramatically different experience for its global audience.

Has anyone else seen this movie?
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Where can it be seen? Hasn't come around to my town and last time I checked it wasn't available on DVD yet.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I saw it last year in Paris and loved most of it. I would like to see it again, as I have since learned that one of my friends is in the restaurant scene with Depardieu, Rowlands and Gazarra.

I guess I'll check to see if it's available on DVD here. I don't know if it's out in the States.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM

You can watch short clips at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Re12ez21Y
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut - I actually got it off the net, that's how I was able to see it. I don't even recall it being shown in any of the theaters near me. When it does come out on DVD, I do plan on buying it.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM

The UTube clips are wonderful! I hope there are a lot of them! Merci for the great link.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM

yes, thanks for the information...
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:45 AM

The DVD has been out in France for a few months already. And apparently it's available in the US (zone 1) on Amazon.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

I just did a search on Amazon (U.S. and Canada) as well on HMV UK and neither of those sites had the DVD listed for sale. Amazon U.S. did have a "Paris, je t'aime" DVD, but it wasn't the movie. It is, however, as you pointed out available in France (thru the French Amazon site).
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Bumping this back up (9 months later!) to let everyone know that:

a) Paris, Je T'Aime (Paris, I Love You) is out tomorrow in the U.S. on DVD as a 2 disc limited collector's edition. The extra disc has 2 and a half hours of behind the scenes.

and

b) La Môme - also know as "The Passionate Life of Edith Piaf" or "La Vie en Rose" (Extended Version) is also out in the U.S..
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it's out on DVD we have a thread on the film when it first came out in the "books, music, film" forum here.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=35008703
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Ditto cigale, the release date is tomorrow. Amazon lists both a regular edition and 2-disc collector's edition.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM

My favorite review of this movie noted that while some of the individual segments may not seem compelling, the collective experience stays with one long after the film is over. I agree completely!