Reload this Page >

Paris hotels/which district?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:27 PM
kirsten

We are going to be staying in Paris in July, and have never been there before. Unfortunately, we have to go through our travel agent for hotel in order to get a good deal on the plane tickets (saving $400!). Our 2 hotel choices are the Ibis Paris Cambronne (15th district) and the Hotel Claude Bernard (5th - Latin Quarter). The one in the 5th seems like a better location, but it is $30 more per night. Does anyone know about these districts and if one is better to stay in than the other? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:52 PM
Boots

Kirsten, you might look at www.paris.org for comments on the hotels. I used to stay at the Claude Bernard when I was a student at the Sorbonne (nearby), and it was a two star hotel; it is now a three, I believe. The location on the rue des Ecoles, about three blocks south of Saint-Michel is good. I would pay the extra $30 for the location alone. I have not stayed at the Ibis Cambronne, but I have stayed at other Ibis. They would never be a hotel of choice for me, and the location is not nearly as good as the CB. I hope this helps some. Boots

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:03 PM
elvira

As a first-timer to Paris, you'll find the 5eme to be more what you came to Paris for. I don't know the Claude Bernard, but the Ibis Cambronne is a little away from the action (it's not in the hinterlands). I've stayed at an Ibis in another part of France, and it's a chain - usually big (gazillion rooms) and not terribly French feeling. I go along with Boots - stay in the 5eme. Make sure the hotel has air conditioning!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 04:08 PM
Andrea

5th, no contest! The location will be worth the additional expense.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 05:47 PM
kirsten

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like it's unanimous so far! Another question...is 4 nights in Paris enough? I am still in the beginning of planning our European trip, so I have some flexibilty. I originally allotted 4 nights for Paris, but I am getting the impression that it might not be enough (we are also going to Rome, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Italian Lakes, Murren, and Lucerne - total of 29 nights)...thanks!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:04 PM
Phil

No, a week is not even enough. Plan to walk a lot... The metro is great and safe. Only near the eiffle tower did we see cause for concern. We traveled with an 11 and 14year old. Buy the museum pass, for the adults ove 16. Under 16 and sometimes under 18 are free at almost all museums except for the citi de science. That hands on museum was very good, but all info in french. The museum pass is availble in metro stations near any museum. It allows you into the museums through a seperate no waiting entrance. The Lourve is at a metro stop under the museum and an escalator takes you directly inside. The main entrance would take at least 2 hours. Definitely it the musee de orsay first. It is small and very impressive. Great on the first day when you are slightly tired, due to it's smaller size. Notre Dame, eat breakfast from a bakery and get their about 8:00am. It is another long wait if you go too late, and again get the museum pass. there is a list in the booklet with the pass that tells you where it can be used. Have fun <BR> <BR>We stayed at the hotel littre near mont parnasse on the west bank. Small rooms, very clean and breakfast was a good value. About four metro stops from the lourve. Paris is very managable using the metro, and language is not a problem. Almost everywhere they speak some english. <BR> <BR>Last, eat a a place on the Isle de st louis, Old paris. Sargent recruiters is a family style, old tavern place that is a must. pric fixe 6o-70 frncs. Learn the money. 75 francs is about 30 dollars. Most establishments will allow children to share a meal if no childrens menu is available. Have fun

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:34 PM
Meg

75 francs is only about $10 right now. The dollar is very strong. <BR> <BR>I vote for staying in the 5th. Have a great trip.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:54 PM
x

not sure how Phil came up with the $30 figure for 75 francs, but rest assured he is way off... 1 US$ = 6.99 FRF, so 75 francs is more like 11 US$