Reload this Page >

Tours of Underground Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 02:39 AM
Doug Weller

We are going to Rome in February and still looking for tours of bits of underground Rome that are not normally open to the public. <BR>Any leads? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 04:35 AM
Maira

Doug---- HAPPY NEW YEAR! (My first post of the year!!!) <BR> <BR>We are also heading to Rome in February and my sister wants to visit the catacombs. In doing some research, I came across an excellent article published in April 1997 (but still very relevant) on "The Atlantic Monthly" regarding Underground Rome. http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97apr/rome.htm. Fascinating. <BR> <BR>Also, you may want to send some e-mails to some tour companies (Scala-Reale, Enjoy Rome, etc...) If they can't do it, they at least could be a good source of info.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 10:40 AM
Doug Weller

Thanks Maira, <BR> <BR>I've read the Altantic Monthly article, but can't find the tour firms listed there. I've emailed Scala Reale now. <BR>We plan to visit one of the Catacombs also, but want to visit something a bit more unusual. <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 12:06 PM
Maira

Doug--- I was able to identfy the following websites for some of the tour companies listed on the article. Please keep in mind that if you are looking for unusual tours not open to the general public, you may need somebody connected like some of the fellows the article mentioned. <BR> <BR>ITINERA (011-396-275-7323) http://www.itineraweb.com/english/index.html <BR> <BR>GENTI PAESI Via Adda 111 <BR>Tel. 06/85.30.17.55 <BR>Fax 06/85.30.17.57 <BR>E-Mail : genti&[email protected] <BR> <BR>UNDERGROUND TOURS BY ROME GUIDE TOURS: <BR>[email protected] <BR>Cooperativa IL SOGNO <BR>Viale Regina Margherita, 192 <BR>Tel. 06/85.30.17.58 Fax 06/85.30.17.56 <BR>Email : [email protected] <BR> <BR> - AUGUSTUS MAUSOLEUM Piazza Augusto Imperatore - English tours : Tuesdays and Thursdays at 09.30pm and 10:15pm for French, Spanish and German language tours. Please book here: <BR> <BR> - Domitian Stadium Piazza di Tor Sanguigna - English tours : Wednesdays at 9.30pm; French tours: Saturdays at 9:30pm for Spanish and German language tours. <BR> <BR> - Roman Insula of Aracoeli Staircase to Aracoeli Church - English tours : Mondays and Thursdays at 9:00pm-10:15pm. <BR> <BR> - The Roman Houses of San Paolo alla Regola Via di San Paolo alla Regola, 16 - English, French and Spanish tours: Wednesdays and Fridays at 9.00pm and 10.15pm. <BR> <BR> - Circus Maximus Mithreum Piazza della Bocca della Verità, 16 English tours: Tuesdays at 11:00am, 12:00am and 5:00pm: Saturdays at 11:00am and 12:00am from 1st Septermber also French tours. <BR> <BR>Price is Lit. 12000 per person, plus entrance fees. Special groups prices upon request. <BR> <BR>CITTA NACOSTA, ata di Ripetta 22 http://members.xoom.it/nascosta/Passeggitel. & fax +39 06 321 6059.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 12:37 PM
Doug Weller

Thanks Maira, that's brilliant. <BR>Il Signo does quite a bit, I see -- not sure which would be best! <BR> <BR>Can't get the Citta Nacosta site. <BR>Itinera is a web magazine, it seems. <BR> <BR>Il Signo looks promising, though! And <BR>Scala Reale. <BR> <BR>Thanks again. <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Doug Weller

Scala Reale can't help the week we're in Rome. Anyone know a web site for Itinera, or have any experience with them? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:26 PM
Maira

Doug, any luck with the underground tours?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 10:46 PM
Doug Weller

In the end we decided to go with Daniella Hunt of Mirabilis Tours, an American guide. Cost and availability (hdays of opening especially) were key factors. <BR>Otherwise, we might have tried the tours at this web site: <BR>http://www.romeguide.it/FrameSeting.html