Paris hotels/apartments

Search

Paris hotels/apartments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hotels/apartments

We haven't been in Paris in 21 years, and are thinking of spending a week in September. Please recommend a hotel or apartment you've liked in the $250/night range. Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 02:24 PM

That's about 220 euro, I think. Perhaps you aren't aware, but your dates make a big difference. Rooms aren't that expensive at the very begining of the month, say the first week, but then prices rise to some of the highest levels of the year, and vacancies get rare.

IN any case, this is my favorite hotel in Montparnasse and it is in that budget (don't get the cosy room unless you are solo, and you aren't). My one caveat is that in recent years, they have taken to having some rooms only available with nonrefundable rates. It used to be just the cosy and then only at certain times and now it's getting to be all rooms, all the time. This is an unusual pricing strategy which I've never seen before and even I (who have stayed there almost annually for decades) am beginning to rethink staying there. Last month I just cut my stay short by a couple days to avoid the heat wave as no way was I going to be in Paris in 110 degree heat, so I ate the cost, but I still don't like the tactic. It is a nice hotel, though. I cancelled some days in advance and wouldn't have had to pay at most hotels. Andf their rates are actually fairly low compared to comparable hotels, also, even in the same area.
https://www.paris-hotel-aiglon.com/e...el-paris-rooms

Coincidentally, there is another thread on almost the same topic which has some ideas, it was a couple who wanted a room in Sept for about 200 euro, a bit less than you, though, which made things even tougher.

My second favorite hotel in that area where I've stayed multiple times is this one, and it is in that range also IF you can find a vacancy.
https://www.hotelraspailmontparnasse.com
The staff is very nice, my only quibble is that once I had a real hard mattress so while I like them a lot and the location, the hotel isn't quite as comfortable bed-wise as the Aiglon (for me). I thikn the last time I was there, the room I got was a little better.
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 06:16 AM

Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Really depends upon what neighborhood you want to stay in. Apts are harder to come by since the crackdown. We stay in apts these days and many are no longer renting. One hotel I always loved that we stayed in a few times is Hotel De La Bretonnerie https://www.hotelparismaraisbretonne...tel-marais/fr/ . Their rooms vary in price and when you are there. Its right in the heart of the Marais. have fun -- it's my favorite city as I love all the museums and the great food & wine.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 01:12 PM

If you don't mind the "vanilla" branded hotel look and want some kitchen facilities you could also stay in an apartment/hotel chain like Citadines or Adagio. That way you can at least avoid all the hassles of knowing the legality of an airbnb situation. For Citadine in that price range I like Republique or the Bastille property but also Montmartre and Trocadero although not as central as the Marais or Latin Quarter. But I would avoid the one at Forum Les Halles-I stayed 2 months there for a corporate transition and it not a fun area IMO-bunches of MacDonalds and KFC type fast food etc. That would be the one I would never stay in again. Adagio also has a nice property near the Bastille.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 01:56 AM

Is that for next month or September 2020?

September and October are probably the busiest hotel months of the year and finding availability this close to a September stay date is going to be challenging. I could give you a complete list of fabulous hotels, but those I have already checked for someone else were already full.

At this point, be very aggressive and start with search engines, to find any availability. You'll have more options at the 250€ to 300€ range. You may also want to expand your search area to include hotels in the 14th and 15th arrondissements.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by jpie
If you don't mind the "vanilla" branded hotel look and want some kitchen facilities you could also stay in an apartment/hotel chain like Citadines or Adagio. That way you can at least avoid all the hassles of knowing the legality of an airbnb situation. For Citadine in that price range I like Republique or the Bastille property but also Montmartre and Trocadero although not as central as the Marais or Latin Quarter. But I would avoid the one at Forum Les Halles-I stayed 2 months there for a corporate transition and it not a fun area IMO-bunches of MacDonalds and KFC type fast food etc. That would be the one I would never stay in again. Adagio also has a nice property near the Bastille.
I havent' stayed in Citadines Bastille but that's a good area. I almost always stay in the 11th (corporate apartment for work) so I'm biased. But I do have a choice and I stay in the 11th because it's central enough and has many quiet corners. Just feels comfortable to me.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Yes I agree with walkinaround-I like the 11th too. And since you haven't been to Paris for 20 years you may not know that although the very central neighborhoods like the Marais and the Latin Quarter were really the place to be 20 years ago (and still are for many visitors), the less well known neighborhoods in places like the11th, 17th 13th 14th 15th have all become much more interesting places to stay than they might have been before.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Totally agree with the last two posts. We almost always stay in the 11th now, often in a hotel that many here on Fodors might think quirky (even very quirky), but we love it, it's comfortable, it has a lovely garden area to work in or enjoy a picnic, the staff are delightful, we love the neighborhood, and the price is great (well under US$250 - I wouldn't pay that to stay in Paris, unless ir were a special occasion, so I'm probably operating from a different perspective).
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 09:46 AM

StCirq, Are you willing to share the name of your hotel? I’ve stayed in the 11th a few times but I’m always on the lookout for more budget recommendations.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 09:51 AM

We're going in October 28 thru Nov 1st, 2019. I found this hotel its called Hotel Les 123 Elysees-Astotel. For my dates the charge is 201euros/night and that includes breakfast. They also serve free snacks in the afternoon. If you book directly with them you get 5% discount. This hotel is located along 8th arr.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gemini21
We're going in October 28 thru Nov 1st, 2019. I found this hotel its called Hotel Les 123 Elysees-Astotel. For my dates the charge is 201euros/night and that includes breakfast. They also serve free snacks in the afternoon. If you book directly with them you get 5% discount. This hotel is located along 8th arr.
Astotel is really branching out, even on Bvd Sebastopol now! Quite a good chain, I think. Stayed in three of their hotels: all good.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:54 AM

This past April we spent six nights in the Citadines Bastille Marais. It is a very nice, well run apartment hotel and we were quite happy there. During the past ten years, we have only stayed in apartments including three in the 11th. This last trip we had to put together very last minute and found no legal apartments available on VRBO, etc., that met our criteria for location and price. This Citadines offered a special rate on Expedia and we booked it. We are very familiar with that location and the public transportation options nearby. The rate was under €200 and more than we usually pay, but it served our needs. If you're looking for luxury or "French charm", you won't find them here. Once inside the front door, you could be in any modern hotel in any major city.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I like the 11th alot. But if I hadn't been to Paris for a long time, staying closer to the center makes it less time consuming to see the major sites. I like the double-digit arrondissements, but whenever we stay in one, I feel we spend more time traveling around. So it depends upon what you plan to do.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:59 AM

Sure, outwest: Hotel Alhambra
We were there last time in August, when prices in Paris are always low.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 11:38 AM

Thanks StCirq. Actually I believe I've come across the Alhambra on my internet travels so I'll take a closer look at it. We're going to be in Paris again next June--a fairly pricey time of year.
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 06:15 PM

The problem with your question is that many desirable hotels may not have 7 nights available a month out. Best to use a booking website with your exact dates, narrow down your choices, and then ask.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 04:26 AM

ParisPerfect has a September sale on with the Saumur available early and late Sept in your price range. It is registered and a “legal” short term rental. https://www.parisperfect.com/apartme...ris/saumur.php
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 07:10 AM

I'm surprised Parisperfect is offering discounts during that period, but the calendar shows to some extent the issue -- it is only available the first week and then the last couple of days (first week doesn't surprise me, last couple of days does). But I agree that is a good rate for them, and it is close to $250, anyway.

The first week in Sept is kind of dull, but on the other hand, you can combine it with the Labor Day holiday if time off is an issue. It's a Murphy bed, though and you have to move the sofa every night to use it, which wouldn't be my idea of a funtime, but others might not mind.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by yestravel
I like the 11th alot. But if I hadn't been to Paris for a long time, staying closer to the center makes it less time consuming to see the major sites. I like the double-digit arrondissements, but whenever we stay in one, I feel we spend more time traveling around. So it depends upon what you plan to do.
It's worth pointing out that the 11th (similar in many other arrs) is a pretty big area. I favour the southern end and regularly stay just northeast of Ledru-Rollin. That's extremely convenient to big sights both by foot and metro. it's also a great area to use as a base as it's bustling and has restaurants and bars for everyone. After sightseeing or instead of it, you can explore your neighbourhood and eat/drink/shop there. Paris has many large scale areas - grand boulevards, massive buildings, big parks and huge squares so walking can be tiring and less interesting. That's part of the reason that I like the southern part of the 11th - it has some larger scale areas (Bastille itself) but it feels more dense and more pleasurable to walk for me.

St Cirq's hotel is up closer to Republic which is a very different area but also convenient (for slightly different things). I just prefer the environment of Ledru-Rollin and what it's convenient to.

I don't like a general rule that the single digit Arrs are more convenient and more central. For example, 7-8 feel way out there for me (and parts of 7-8, very much so) as they are not convenient to the areas and things that I like. Also, aligned with my comment above, the 7e has many huge scale open areas that are beautiful but feel treacherous to walk. But, as always, there are preferences in play here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -