Paris Hotels

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Heidi

Paris Hotels

I THOUGHT I narrowed down my hotels for my upcoming (November 2001) trip to Paris, but I'm having a hard time deciding between these--Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais, Hotel de l'Universite, Hotel Jardins du Luxembourg, Hotel Lenox (St. Germain), Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles. I've been to Paris twice and stayed in Monmartre area (yuck) and Latin Quarter (Rue Monge market area--near Grandes Ecoles). All of these choices have pros and cons, but I simply can't decide! (So I've made reservations at all and will cancel when I decide on the right one.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.--I'm really looking for something romantic and centrally located, since I will be celebrating my 40th birthday with my BRITISH spouse (who has never been to Paris).

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Ursula

Heidi:Regarding location, I would go either for the Lenox or the de l'Université.
Sorry, I cannot comment about the rooms. Never stayed in either of them.
But friends of mine in the fashion business are regulars at the Lenox and love it.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Surlok

heidi,

I'd choose the Lenox. It was refurbished recently, and its bar, I've heard, is very well attended.

Surlok

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:37 PM
elaine

hi
It's been a number of years now, but I thought the Lenox St-G had pretty decor, pleasant staff, excellent location, and
excruciatingly small rooms, at least the double we had. No room to open a suitcase except on the bed, not much of a closet, 1 drawer, no space to store the suitcase except to keep moving it around. I haven't checked their prices lately, but even back then I didn't think the room was the best possible value, in the size/price equation.
The recent refurbishment may have changed things, I don't know.
All of the hotels you mention have good locations.
Don't think that there's only one great small hotel in Paris, as you know, there are many and you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:56 PM
steve

I've stayed at 2 of the hotels you mention: L'Universite and Jardins du Luxembourg. The L'Universite has a good location and the street it's on is pretty quiet. Our room was a nice size with very high ceilings and a nice bathroom. The Lenox is across the street and looks nice-I've heard good things about it with the "small rooms" caveat.
The Jardins du Luxembourg was renovated fairly recently so it seems rather modern. Our room was very small, but nicely furnished and the bathroom was fine.
I found the staff at the Jardins du Luxembourg to be a little more helpful and knowledgable than those at L'Universite, but I prefer the L'Universite's location.
I think the L'Universite is a bit more expensive than the Jardins du Luxembourg.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Surlok

Heidi,

In fact, the Caron de Beaumarchais' rooms are also tiny, although is a "tres charmant" hotel in the Marais.

Regardless where, 3 stars hotel rooms in Paris tend to be very small, so, book a superior, or a "de luxe" room, if you can afford it, and you'll be comfortable.

Surlok