Paris hotel with kids

Search

Paris hotel with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hotel with kids

I know this has been asked to death but bear with me please as I have very specific queries.

My family (with 2 kids - 6 and 2) are planning to go to Paris in early October for a week. We've decided to break up our accomodations into 2. For one half, we would like to stay in the Champs Elysees area or near it. The other half, I would like to stay very close to a park/garden (which is the best park for kids: Tuileries? Luxembourg? Champs du Mars?

I have a budget of EUR350max. Which hotels can you please recommend that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids. I would really prefer to be near a metro since I would also like to do a little bit of sightseeing during the day and come back quickly to spend most of the day in the park. Speaking of metro, I can't remember if there are escalators going up and down the stations. How feasible is it to bring a stroller? My 2 year old refuses to walk most of the time!

Hubby and I were in Paris this time last year. We stayed at the Best Western Left Bank. The location can't be beat but I'm thinking of a bigger hotel - with a bigger hotel room this time around since I'll be there with the kids. And I really do need a more kid-friendly area.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to be in the Champs Elysees area? And are you thinking that is a kid-friendly neighborhood, because I sure wouldn't call it that.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Take a look at Hotel Balzac which just reopened as a 5* after a multi-million dollar renovation. They have some great introductory rates beginning at ... your price ... 350 EUR, and this includes free continental breakfast and an upgrade on check-in if available (when booked by a travel agent through JDB hotels).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Take a look at Hotel Balzac which just reopened as a 5* after a multi-million dollar renovation. They have some great introductory rates beginning at ... your price ... 350 EUR, and this includes free continental breakfast and an upgrade on check-in if available (when booked by a travel agent through JDB hotels). It's located just off the Champs Elysees near the Etoile.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM

If I had to walk the Champs with a 2 and 6 year old, ever, let alone often to get to and from a Metro stop, well, I think I would die. Are you totally sure this is what you want to do?

I know you didn't ask, but how about an apartment? Snacks for the kids, a washing machine, a place to stash the stroller? Sounds good to me. You could certainly do it on your budget.

I don't think either the Tuileries or the Champ de Mars would be a great park for kids. Ok, but not great. The Luxembourg Gardens, Ok.

Some areas of the Luxembourg Gardens are wonderful for children. A few areas in the Tuileries, and none off the top of my head in the Champ de Mars. But there are great little parks in so many places.

One of my favorite little parks, with a great little playground, is in the 7th, near the 6th, at the front of St Clothilde. Such a sweet small park, with an area in front of the churches facade, where kids skate and bike, and then the park.

I know the Hotel du Palais Bourbon has triples and maybe quads. This is in the area I'm speaking of. Also consider an apartment as there are many in this area. Lots of stores and food, and a nice family atmosphere.

Also, I would reconsider moving a family of four for just a week in Paris. Seems like an awful hassle in a city in which it is fairly easy to get around.

Last February, when our week in our apartment was finished, I wanted to stay an extra day or two in apartment. DH pointed out the inconvenience and expense of moving: packing everything, unpacking, paying for a taxi to haul us and all our stuff... I had to give in and go home. I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone to stay a little longer, but to stay within the confines of your planned visit, and switch hotels, may be a bit too much.

By the way, our apartment from rentparis.com had a washer and dryer, which was heaven.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Ok, I see my typos. If it is indecipherable, please ask me to explain.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM

A couple of thoughts. I've lived in Paris with small kids and probably the last are I would choose a hotel with a 6 and 2 year old is on the Champs Elysees. That area isn't very kid-friendly.

I ditto with Tusanlitedit recommended: for the best kid-friendly accommodations rent an apartment. More places for the kids to roam, save money with snacks in the room, and will feel more "like home" to the kids. With your budget, you could rent a fabulous place in October.

I would also consider moving mid-week. With the jet lag after three or four nights my kids are just getting settled in their beds. I can't imagine having them switch rooms at that point.

I like the Marais area for kid friendliness (lots of families live there), but near all the tourist attractions. I love staying on the Left Bank, but my kids found the crowds tiresome. There are small parks everywhere in Paris (you tend not to notice them until you have kids), so I don't think you'll have trouble finding a park.

Below are two hotels that I highly recommend for staying with kids. Also, Citadines - cross between an apartment hotel - may be a good choice for you (located around the city).

Hi,

Here's two worth a look. I've stayed at both - without kids - but talked to the manager about kid-friendly rooms and facilities in case of a future visits with my 2 small sons.

Holiday Inn Paris Republique - Normally, I would not recommend an American chain hotel in Paris, but I stayed here in Feb. and was really impressed. This is an upscale Holiday Inn - more like a Crowne plaza in the US. The rooms are huge (a child has room to move, unlike many Parisian hotels) - many room have two queen beds in the room - great for sharing with kids. Kids eat free. Mini-fridges in rooms to store milk, juice, etc. Nice bathroom and amenities for parents, too - pillow menu, upscale toiletries, etc.

They also have a family suite - separate bedroom for parents and a pirate theme bunk - bed room for the children! If you request it, you can also use a " family room" - complementary small suite with couch and bathroom facilities to hang out in until your room is ready for check-in - I was told that this is very popular with parents/w small children to give them a chance to "relax/change", etc. after a long flight.

The Republique area is off the beaten tourist track in the 11th, but the metro there rocks! It's a huge line ( six connections I think) where you can zoom anywhere in Paris in a short time without changing trains. The entrance to the metro is a few feet outside of the hotel. Also, across from the hotel is a merry-go-round, and crepe stand that your 20-month old will love! There is also a park perfect for small children a couple of blocks away at the Square du Temple.

Residence des Arts - In the heart of St. Germain des Pres (6e), the location of this hotel can't be beat - within walking to the Notre Dame, Seine, Louvre, and the Latin Quarter. Boutique hotels in this area are notoriously small, but the Residence des Arts contains many suites, with mini-kichenettes, that have room for a toddler to wander. I think that the junior suite has a US King in one room, and a twin bed in a separate room. The art-deco room decor is beautiful - check out their website for pictures. For parks, the sandbox and playground on the side of the Notre Dame can't be beat for a 20 month old.

At both hotels, I think the rates flunctuate pretty wildly between seasons, so try booking online in advance to get the best deal.

Have a wonderful trip. Your daughter will LOVE Paris! - C

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM

One more ditto -

Champs du Mars doesn't really have any attractions for kids. Luxembourg Gardens is definitely worth a visit, but the really cool playgrounds segrated by age are only open on Wednesdays in October.

The Bois de Boulogne, Bois de Vincennes, and Parc la Villete are great for kids of all ages and my favorite Paris parks, but I wouldn't stay in those areas (outskirts of Paris).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Ok, the last thing

Strollers - All metros have escalators, but don't always work. I would pack a small, umbrella stroller and be prepared to carry it up and down stairs.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
what tuscanlifeedit says - 100% ditto.

The Champs Elysees is the very last area I'd consider staying w/ small children. An apartment would be my choice - but if you are against that idea, I'd stay somewhere on the left banl or in the Marais for the full week. Why pack and move un-necessarily when everyplace is easily accessible from everywhere else.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Whoops - typos (wish we could edit). Meant to say,

"reconsider moving mid -week" . Agree with janisJ and Tuscan "why uproot everyone mid-week?"
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Zizz,

I think you can have a great time with your children in Paris but like others have suggested I would stay in one place and not near the Champs Elysees.

I hesitate to tell anyone else out of selfishness but the Hotel Relais Bosquet also rents a couple of apartments. I can recommend the hotel but only know about the apartments from the website: http://www.hotel-paris-bosquet.com/E...partment01.htm

In June I did a lot of research on apartments for a stay in Sept but was beat out of my top choices so booked a room at the Relais Bosquet instead.

A friend recommended www.vacationinparis.com for apartments but my preferred flats were booked. DH is tall and a big bed is a must.

I like the Luxembourg for the pony rides and the carousel near the Eiffel Tower. Have a great trip.

Scootoir
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Re: the Champs Elysees area - I guess I did contradict myself on that one. Of course, I realize that it's not exactly kid-friendly but I remember spending half a day only there last year on a Sunday. My hubby and I would have wanted to go shopping but most shops were closed. And I vividly remember that the stretch of road leading up to the Arc de Triomphe was quite long and it would have been nice to have a hotel in that area. Yes, I am travelling with kids but it would also be nice to do a little bit of shopping (more like window-shopping) and there is always the Disney store to keep them entertained. And this time with kids around, I guess I can stay in the area even just for a couple of days or even overnight to do this.

As for moving mid-week: I think it was suggested in this same forum when I was researching for my trip last year that it would be nice to experience 2 different areas of Paris on a trip. Once I was in Paris and when I saw a half-closed Champs Elysees on my last night there, it did seem to make sense. That night, we walked from the Concorde to the Arc de Triomphe and then went all the way home to the 6th arr and that was quite exhausting.

Tuscanlifeedit, which aparment did you stay in? I've never actually stayed in an apartment before eventhough my family constantly travels. This question might sound stupid but since it's never crossed my mind and I've therefore never contemplated on it: can someone please tell me what advantages would I have to stay in a hotel versus an apartment apart from the daily maid service?

Finally, which apartments or hotels in Marais?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 05:55 AM

I (& my children) prefer the Tuileries. We've gone to apartments which would certainly suit you better or check out the Citidines properties. W/the Metro there is little reason to locate, pick a spot & stay.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just a couple of quick points -- sure someone on here may have suggested splitting a stay between two different Paris hotels. But I'll bet lots of folks jumped on that same thread to say the idea doesn't make that much sense.

The main advantages to an apartment are much more space for less money, a washing machine, and a kitchen. Not that you will want to do a lot of cooking - but especially w/ children, having some favorite foods/snack in stock just in case, and getting everyone off to a good start each day having breakfast.

Even IF you want to shop on the Champs Elysees (I find the shopping much better in other parts of the city) I wouldn't stay there. Just don't go there on a Sunday.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM

Hi zizz

Our apartment on rentparis.com was number 10, but I'm not sure if it is good for kids because of the small bedroom and loft for the second bedroom. I would pick something on one floor for kids.

I agree totally that the advantages are a fridge, a washing machine. And don't forget more room. The rentparis.com apartments have a cleaning half way through the week and we loved the cleaning guy; left him a big tip. Loved making my own coffee in the morning, juice and snacks in the fridge, etc.

They have several apartments in the Marais.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM

I have switched areas in Paris to experience different neighborhoods several times, and there isn't anything about it that doesn't make sense. It's just a choice to stay in different areas or hotels, not a matter of making sense. I like to do it and choose a right and left bank location, although only for longer stays of a week or more. In fact, I'm in Paris right now and am doing that -- 3 nights in one hotel and 4 in another across town. I sort of remember a couple threads about that, and maybe I said I thought it wasn't a bad idea, maybe someone else -- but I think these posts might have been about people who aren't traveling with two small children, which does complicate things and take more time. So I don't know about that -- if I'd recommend it in that situation. It really depends how much "stuff" you carry with you and need to get settled. If not a lot, it isn't really that bad an idea IMO. I wouldn't want to stay near the Champs-Elysees myself with kids (if so, maybe near the Tuileries Gardens, but those hotels down there are very expensive). Of course, you do have the budget so could do that. There is a residence hotel with apts in the Latin Qtr near the Seine that might suit you, the Residence Henri IV. There are several hotels by that name, but this is the only one called "Residence", I think (and it will mention apartments).

If I were you, I'd probably go for renting an apt. for the entire stay, also, and not near the Champs-Elysees. I like the Luxembourg gardens a lot.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM

We spent 11 nights in June with our 6 year old son in an apartment on the Ile St Louis (through parisapartments.com). I would echo the comments of others here about the advantages of the separate bedroom, a kitchen including refrigerator and microwave, etc. in an apartment vs. hotel. Plus just the ambience of living (at least somewhat) among true Parisians.

Also have others have mentioned we found that there were lots of parks and playgrounds around--you do become tuned into them when you travel with kids. A small playground on the right bank end of the Pont Marie; very nice playground in the Tuileries; the marvelous pay (nominally) playground in the Jardin du Luxemburg (but note the abbrievated schedule described above); another small playground on the left bank quay below the Arab Institute; the hardscaped area at the south end of the Palais Royal gardens where kids were riding scooters and rollerblades; the spinning thing and stuff to climb on in the gardens behind Notre Dame. Plus kids kicking a soccer ball around in the Arenes des Lutece.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM

Sorry for the serial post but wanted to add that I would also recommend having one location for your stay. We found it very easy to get around on public transit (particularly found the 5-day Batobus pass enjoyable and affordable), and we just planned on an occasional taxi ride if we found ourselves too weary and far from home (really only happened twice during our stay).