Paris Hotel -St Suplice

Search

Paris Hotel -St Suplice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel -St Suplice

We haven't been to Paris since our first visit over 10 years ago. We are planning on returning in December 2008, with friends. We stayed in the St Suplice area which was very nice. Any hotel recommendation for the same area?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
yk

How many people, what's your budget, and when in December?

Here's a very recent thread titled
Paris Hotels Left Bank - a compilation of hotels that posters recommend. That should get you started:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35162713
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM

You might get better advice if you give a budget.

I know HOtel Bonaparte is right near there and one Fodorite loves it and always recommends it on here, and several others folks have seemed to like it okay also. I think it would be fine if you want a budget hotel, but not if you expect something a bit nicer.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Hotel Bonaparte is a very clean two star hotel about 200ft from the plaza in front of St Sulpice.

Ira, a regular poster at this forum and a Paris expert, always recommends it. My wife and I stayed there in May 2006 and loved the location. There is a great cafe just around the corner from the hotel and across the street from the church. It's a nice place to sit and relax.

Our only complaint about the hotel was that the air conditiong was weak, but that should be no factor for a December trip.

In fact, we will be in Paris the nights of December 3,4 and 5, What dates will you be there?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM

The Relais St. Sulpice is a very nice 3 star boutique hotel. Great location directly across the street from the church.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I have put together a LEFT Bank hotel thread. The hotel I recommended is a few blocks from St. Suplice. Refer to the thread. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Hi Guenmai et al--
I posted about the Westin Paris a few days ago with 0 replies--
Should I be concerned? So many Paris conversations and dead silence about the Westin.
It is my first trip to Paris and I am beside myself with excitement. I would love some reassurance about my hotel choice.
Should I look elsewhere?
Parents and inlaws love to stay at the Westend Hotel in the 8th.
Help?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM

There was probably no reply because many Fodorites stay in non-chain hotels. Isn't the Westin a big chain hotel? Many of us, have stayed for decades, in small, quaint, often family-owned hotels. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Venezuela,

I haven't responded because I don't know the hotel. Web site looks great and Westins/Starwoods have a good reputation. Very upscale area--check out all the shops in the Place Vendome. Your steps from the T. gardens.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Make that you're
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM

That is why I went with the relative safety of Starwood. The problem is that I read recent reviews on TripAdvisor and so many complaints!
I don't want to kick myself for making the wrong choice.
On the other hand, I have my list of restaurants, thanks to Guenmai!

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM

<Author: Cathinjoetown
Date: 10/29/2008, 03:31 pm
Venezuela,
I haven't responded because I don't know the hotel. Web site looks great and Westins/Starwoods have a good reputation. Very upscale area--check out all the shops in the Place Vendome. Your steps from the T. gardens.>

That wouldn'y be Jardin du Twilyers ?
would it
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Luxembourg Parc in late March. It is situated between St. Sulpice Church and Luxmbourg Parc. We loved the hotel and were treated so nicely by the staff. It is just a lovely place to stay. Unless it was to go up considerably, we will probably stay there again because we really liked the location.

Here is the link http://www.hotelluxparc.com/hotelluxparc.html

We have only been to Paris once and as I have stated we were thrilled with our hotel choice.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Smacknmo--
Just lovely. In our price range as well. Will speak with DH.
How was breakfast?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Tuileries, bien sur. I just got lazy because I never spell it right and didn't want to take time to look it up.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
ira

HI G,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 131E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Enjoy your visit.

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Hotel De'abbye on Cassette Street (not sure of the spelling). Former Abbey, 2-3 blocks from church at St Suplice, where there's a taxi stand. Metro Station about 2 blocks away.
Staff, all english speaking and very accommodating. Extremely nice lobby area with glass enclosed dining area. Looks out over beautiful courtyard. Great place to eat your continental breakfast (included, with the best o.j., croissant and baguette I've ever had).
The rooms are nice, though they could be quieter, but we still liked it a lot.
Stayed this past april. Found the link in my bookmarks
Hotel de l'Abbaye Paris - Saint Germain - OFFICIAL SITEhttp://www.hotelabbayeparis.com/
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Walked through the Westin in Sept. as it was next to a great purse shop I wanted to go to.

You could have been in N.Y., Chicago, etc.--very nice, but not very French.

You have some good suggestions here, and I'll add mine www.hotel-madison.com on St. Germain. Make sure you go up a little and get a room overlooking the street, as the rear rooms are rather dark.

They include a wonderful breakfast, and the location is excellent.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Venezula,

I just read your reply to my post--if there have been issues with the hotel posted on TripAdvisor, you may want to reconsider.

Other posters have listed some really good suggestions--all in very safe areas. I'd advise checking out some of those sites. Also, don't discount the fact you would have a much more local feel at a good independent hotel than you would at a Westin.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The smaller hotels you posted look fabulous.And you are right--I really want to get a feel for the city.
I will be making a decision in the next few days because we leave soon--We go to Madrid first and then on to Paris.
Any other suggestions for a Paris first timer?
Other than the obvious places of interest, any "must-sees"?I love markets, gourmet specialty shops, table linens, etc.
We return home right before Thanksgiving, so I want to bring back some Parisian treats to share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -