Reload this Page >

PARIS HOTEL QUESTION

Search

PARIS HOTEL QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Irit

PARIS HOTEL QUESTION

We reserved a hotel months ago in Paris called "Hotel Rochambeau Champs Elysée" in the 8th district (or 8e Arrondissement). Given that it's our first time in Paris I was concerned as to the "district" we'd be staying in. Does anyone know this hotel or at the very least whether or not this "district" is a decent one?

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 08:18 AM
lynn

Hi - <BR> <BR>This is one of those personal preference questions that everyone has a different opinion about. However, here's mine. <BR> <BR>I looked it up and if it is the hotel on Rue la Boetie it seems to be in an O.K. area but the map didn't look like it was to scale very well. Also over in that area somewhere (I don't know exactly because my Paris map is at work) is the train station. You should make sure you're not too close to the train station. <BR> <BR>You are on the Right Bank where the Arc, Louvre, Champs Elysee, and Tuileries Gardens are, and more. In my opinion, it's an O.K. place but not an ideal location. <BR> <BR>You are not real close to the river which you may want to think about. You may also want to think about staying on the Left Bank. The 5th and 6th districts have lots of "life" going on. Much more so than the Right Bank in my opinion. Of course, this will depend on your age and what you like to do. <BR> <BR>If you stayed on the Left Bank closer to the Seine you would be nearer to Louvre, Tuileries and Luxembourg gardens, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, etc. More of the major sites. Sites are all around the city but a vast majority of the "big ones" are in a centrally located area. <BR> <BR>Just something to think about. Try running a search on Hotbot or Yahoo to find more information. <BR> <BR

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 01:29 PM
elaine

Hi Irit <BR>If I had the hotel's street address I would look it up on my map for the nearest metro station. The 8th in general is a very nice area, but not all of it is conveniently located, in my opinion. One of my criteria for a good hotel in Paris is proximity to a metro stop on a main line, so you might want to look for that. For me, the ability to quickly or easily go back to my hotel in the middle of the day to freshen up or drop off packages or pick up a sweater is important, which is why a convenient location is important to me. <BR>How did you choose the hotel? <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 01:47 PM
elvira

Thanks to Francesca a while ago, here's a website: http://www.pageszoom.com/wrmm_rue_marchande.cgi <BR>If it is on rue de la Boetie, it's #4, so just put in the number, the street name, Paris, and click on rechercher.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 05:34 PM
Lynne

I'm not sure exactly where your hotel is, but my husband & I stayed in the 8th arrondissement on our first trip to Paris five years ago and loved the location. We were just a couple of blocks from the Madeleine church and metro station, the gourmet shops Hediard and Fauchon, lovely (and expensive!!) specialty shops, and within long walks of le Tour Eiffel and almost every place else we wanted to go, and in a great area for wandering around. We revisited the area on our most recent trip in March (when we had rented an apartment in the Latin Quarter), and agreed that it was an area where we wouldn't mind staying again. The hotel where we stayed in the 8th was Le Ministere, which wasn't very exciting but which was (and is) very reasonably priced -- less than $100 per night, with private bath. Bonne chance!