Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel le Clement or Hotel Bonaparte?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found decent rates at both these properties for my trip in May. Has anyone had personal experience at either or both? Would love to get opinions on which to book. Thanks.
Cherikm
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Veterans on this site will realize that you did not do a search here on "Hotel Bonaparte"

It is regularly recommended here , and Ira will be happy to give you the low down.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM
ira

Hi C,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 128E dbl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

The Clement looks very nice, and the location is fine. It is more expensive.

Have you checked www.tripadvisor.com?

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
tod

cherikm - Hotel Clement was the last hotel I chose to stay in 2 years ago.

The area can't be beat - My room was on about the 4/5th floor looking onto Rue Clement and had a view of the church towers of St.Sulpce. Directly across the narrow street was the Marche St.Germain - a covered shopping centre with almost everything.
Under the verandah section of this building is a Nicolas wine shop, and a pub called 'Coolin Irish'.
It is noisy until early hours an then noisy again in a few hours time with trash collectors and delivery vans.
This to me was all part of the excitement of sleeping in Paris but it may not suite you!

The reception however was not that friendly at the hotel. They did the basics but seemed weary of contact with the public.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I did indeed check trip advisor, and both properties received similar ratings and comments. Both are also the same price for my dates (140 euros). Just thought I might get an additional perspective from this board. I am concerned about the noise problem mentioned at the Clement, however, the Bonaparte has not responded to my two emails I sent. Guess I'll try again with both and see what happens!
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 06:09 AM
ira

Hi C,

Re rates: Is bkfst included at the Clement?

Re emails:

Have you looked in your spam folder?

You can talk to the folks at the Bonaparte for about 75 cts, by dialing 1010987 011 33 1 43 26 97 37.

They speak English very well.

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at the Clement in January. Great location, we did not find Rue Clement very noisy, but our windows were closed. The rooms are small, even by Paris standards. Lobby and reception were above average.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:07 AM
tod

Cheriken / Ira,
No, not included - breakfast was 10E.

I'm looking at their beautiful colour brochure I brought back with me and there is a photograph of a room with 2 double beds and another with just one. Both rooms look much bigger than the one I had but then I was in a single.
My rate was 117E - (street view)and for a double 127E. A triple or mini junior suite was 145E. (Those must be the rooms in the photos).
A double on the inner courtyard is 117E.

Logandog - I was there in October and it was lovely and warm so never shut my windows day or night. People spilling out of the cafe`s along the street hence the noise.

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Cherikm, is this your first trip to Paris? If so, I would not recommend the Bonaparte. There is no doubt that it has an excellent location, but there are many other hotels in the area. My husband and I stayed there last summer and we were chagrined to see how shabby it is. Yes, there is breakfast, but it is nothing special, just the usual 2 rolls, butter, jam, and coffee. If it were my first trip, I would be tremendously disappointed. I have been to Paris 5 times, and though our budget does not allow us to stay anywhere fancy, the Bonaparte was the lowest-end of them all. I would look further. Sorry Ira...
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM

I'll comment on the breakfast topic. I personally would don't do hte hotel breakfasts. I can get a better deal by going to a nearby cafe, have a fresh croissant/OJ/cafe creme, and begin my day in a relaxing way. But, I know some people like to have their meal in their room before they start their day, as for me...my philosopy is to spend as much time as possible outside of the hotel.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM
tod

cherikm - Please do yourself a favour and have a look at www.Hotel-grandes-ecoles.com

This hotel has a better rate and knocks the socks off both the Le Clement and by the recent comments, the Bonaparte as well.

I think it's garden setting is unique in this area - (maybe wrong, could be more) but hey! breakfast on the terrace in a spring garden!!

Lets us know what you decided.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I haven't stayed at either, but have been by both at times, and they aren't really very far apart, so you can't decide on that point much. Also, both are not on the main boulevard, so that shouldn't matter much.

As for the breakfast, hotels are not allowed to require you to buy it, but the Bonaparte includes it in their rate quotes, I believe. You do not have to eat it or pay for it, the rate will be lower if you refuse it. In this case, since the rates are so close, that won't be a decision factor, I assume, as I think that may only change the Bonaparate rate by 5-10 euro, as their breakfast doesn't consist of much.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM
ira

You needn't be sorry, TL.

I am not offended.

Chacun à son goût.

Where would you recommend the OP stay?

Hi C,

Bkfst served in the room at the Bonaparte is 5E pp. If you don't want it, the rate will be reduced by that amount.

Tod, has a good suggestion, too.

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Hotel le Clement. I have stayed there for years. Get a room on the 5th or 6th floor and facing the street. It's not a typical noisy street as it's on a square. I'm a light sleeper, but sleep fine. I always take earplugs to Paris though. They really help. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Ira: We are considering staying at the Bonaparte in April. What does the Breakfast in your room include for 5 Euro's.
Thanks, Mike
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi M,

Bkfst pp is:

1 croissant, 1 roll
pot of coffee, chocolate or tea
pitcher of hot milk to go with above
butter, jams and jellies.

OJ is available.

I'm not sure if they do eggs, as we have never asked.

If you don't mind getting dressed before bkfst, there is a cafe around the corner facing St. Sulpice, where you can do the above at an outside table for about the same price.

Croissant and coffee standing at the bar of a number of places in the neighborhood is 3E.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Ira: Thanks. Roll and coffee are perfect for us. That way we can stop for lunch. We walked by the Bonaparte last time we were in Paris. We stayed at the Hotel de Seine. I had gotten a great rate, but this time the price has gone up and the Bonaparte is much cheaper. The reason I would consider the Bonaparte or Le Clement is the neighborhood.
Thanks again
Michael and Joan Lipschutz
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Ira: I have corresponded with the Bonaparte. They have 2 different price rooms available. 151. euro's and 128 euro's. What to your knowledge is the difference.

Thanks Mike
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM

For 151 Euro I think you can do better than the Bonaparte. Just my own opinion..if you are going that high, you might wish to look elsewhere..
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Michaellip...Hotel de Seine... what absolutely great memories...I stayed there annually from 1981-1990 until the big renovation of 1990 started and my dear friend, the hotel manager, decided to retire as the rates were to really hike up thus pushing all of us regular guests out. He liked the regular guests a lot. Many of us knew each other from staying at the hotel. He had managed the hotel since 1955. It was a wonderful place back then. I then moved down the street to the Welcome Hotel for some years...same owner as Hotel de Seine.... and then on to Hotel le Clement. And this spring, I will move on to an apartment, 5 minutes away, on the rue St. Andres des Arts. Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -