Paris hotel--good value away from tourists

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Fodorites. I will be spending a few days in Paris (arrive Sep 28 and depart Oct 3) and need recommendations for a hotel (reservation for one) that is fairly central (Arrondissements 1-10), within a ten-minute walk of a Metro stop and away from tourists and nightlife. Just a nice, quiet place. Nothing fancy. Along with your recommendation, I would love to hear why you like that hotel or that neighborhood! Thanks much.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Take a look at the hotels around Gare de l'Est and Gare du Nord. The 10th arrondissement is the arrondissement with the most hotels, so there is plenty of competition.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 09:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Kerouac has reminded me of a hotel I liked very much. Not fancy but clean & modern, very helpful & friendly staff, near Canal Saint-Martin, small restaurants on the same street & nearby, just south of the 2 stations on a very quiet narrow street. Good prices on the hotel website.

https://www.hotelsoftparis.com/

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 01:21 PM

I agree with Kerouac. The hotels closer to Gare de l’Est are possibly slightly quieter. Gare du Nord has the advantage of being on the train line from Charles de Gaulle airport.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 01:22 PM

Had a large group in 2019 that had 2 people leave after Normandy portion of the trip. Had one night in the hotel next door to the apartment we stayed in off rue Vaneau. The seemed to like the hotel room for the night, and I can attest that the neighborhood was very quiet. Hotel de Suede was the name. Price was under 300 euro per night.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed 3 times at a hotel on Avenue Ledru-Rollin. It's 2 blocks NW of Gare d'Lyon.
Used to be privately owned (100 euro), now it's oart if a chain, ibis Paris Gare de Lyon (118+ tax)
Nice blvd.....2 blocks wak from the Gare.... 1 block from Cooulee Verte Renee Dumont (elevated greenway for pedestrians)
1 block from La Biche au Bois restaurant...excellent food

Short walk to the Seine, Batobus

we
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 06:00 PM

Here's where I stayed in 2016, lynwd. It was on a quiet street and near restaurants.

Hôtel Le Clément ** PARIS

Address 6 rue le Clément
Town/City Paris
Postcode 75006
Country France
Phone +33 (0)1 43 26 53 60
Fax +33 (0)1 44 07 06 83
Website http://www.hotel-clement-paris-saint-germain.com/
E-mail [email protected]

Knees and asthma kept me from Metro, so you'll need to double-check for metro stips.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 09:01 PM

Meaningful suggestions require your budget window, preferable in euros.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 03:42 AM

I think, Hotel Duo is a charming boutique hotel near Hotel de Ville Metro station, offering a peaceful atmosphere and comfortable rooms. and
Hotel Britannique I think it's Located somewhere near Chatelet Metro station, Have a nice view of the Seine River. Taylor is also a lovely place to stay.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Specific and helpful. I see why so many Fodorites swear by your recommendations.
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you uktravelover. Pointing out that the Gare du Nord is on the train line from CDG is most helpful as I will be arriving and departing from that airport. That will definitely figure into my thinking.

Old Jul 13th, 2023, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Darned if that wasn't the hotel where my husband and I stayed in 2002! A couple days in Paris after a long three weeks tracking where a grandfather had been on the Western Front in WW1. It was very, very nice. I am going to check it out again.
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 02:56 AM

I usually stay at the 25 Hours Hotel Terminus Nord which is opposite the station but surprisingly quiet. It is rather quirky and not the cheapest near Gare du Nord but sometimes has special offers available.

https://www.25hours-hotels.com/fr/ho...xoCB6UQAvD_BwE
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Great location, quiet street and fairly reasonable prices.

https://hoteljeannedarc.com/en/?trki...hoCW9QQAvD_BwE
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 06:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A favorite of an elderly British friend of mine was the Hôtel Laumière (now an Ibis Styles) at metro Laumière. He liked it because it was close to his favorite park (the Buttes Chaumont) and also very close to the Bassin de la Villette. And also just a few metro stops from Gare du Nord where he would arrive on the Eurostar. He had quite a few fvorite cafés and restaurants just a few steps away. Just saying that there are a multitude of reasons for liking an area or a hotel. You (OP) said that you wanted to be within 10 minutes of a metro station. The metro network is so dense in Paris that I would be upset if I were more than 5 minutes from a metro station.
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 01:22 PM

I do not like the Gare du Nord area -- we take the RER B from CDG directly to the Jardins du Lux stop and walk a block to a quiet cul de sac where this hotel is. We love being in the 5th arr where it borders the 6th and St. Germain Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg. Park is across the street to walk thru if you don't want the activity of St. Germain and Latin Quarter.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by macdogmom
Great location, quiet street and fairly reasonable prices.

https://hoteljeannedarc.com/en/?trki...hoCW9QQAvD_BwE
I completely agree with this recommendation except to note that I spent a very uncomfortable two nights there during a week in the spring when the temperature exceeded 80F. There was no air conditioning and the ground floor 2-room family room we occupied had only one large window in one room that opened directly onto the street. This was a few years ago but I see no indication on their website that their rooms are now air conditioned. Otherwise it's a very nice small hotel.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 10:43 AM

Paris France Hotel on rue Turbigo, within a few minutes of Republique and Temple and 5 Metro lines.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 05:00 AM

My good value go-to is the Cosmos on Rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud . About 10 minutes' walk from République (5 from Métro Parmentier), and a bus to the Hotel de Ville passes the front door.

A bit more central, round the corner from République and at the top end of the Marais (so possibly more popular with tourists - I first stayed there on a package booking through Eurostar) is https://hotelamericain.com/
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by TDudette
Here's where I stayed in 2016, lynwd. It was on a quiet street and near restaurants.

Hôtel Le Clément ** PARIS

Address 6 rue le Clément
Town/City Paris
Postcode 75006
Country France
Phone +33 (0)1 43 26 53 60
Fax +33 (0)1 44 07 06 83
Website http://www.hotel-clement-paris-saint-germain.com/
E-mail [email protected]

Knees and asthma kept me from Metro, so you'll need to double-check for metro stips.
I've also stayed there many times over many years and into the 2000s. One of my Parisian friends of decades and hotel manager in the neighborhood, walked me there back in the early 90s as my regular hotel was starting its major renovation. She was trying to find me a new hotel. She knows all of the hotels in that district as she's managed many of them for over three decades. She chose the Hotel Le Clement for me and we went to see a few rooms and I liked it. I've stayed there alone many times and also with different friends who have met up with me in Paris and also stayed there. I also took my mom to Paris and we stayed there for a whole week.
Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -