Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Hotel du Danube or Hotel Verneuil or ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal:
A friend and I have one afternoon/night in Paris before heading off to Sarlat. We will be staying at the Hotel de la Place des Vosges for our last three nights at the end of our holiday.

I am more of a Right Bank kind of person, and on a semi-budget. However, you Fodorites' love of the 6th and 7th has piqued my curiosity, so I was thinking that for this one night, I might try something different.

We are leaving from Gare d'Austerlitz in the morning, so will most likely take breakfast in our hotel.

I can get a twin room at the Verneuil for 189E with breakfast.

Or a superior twin at the Danube for 172, breakfast not included.

Looking for charm, convenience and some quiet so I can get a good night's sleep to recover from jetlag. Would love some "This could only be Paris" ambiance.

Opinions and advice sought--and appreciated.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that this will be March, so AC or lack thereof is not an issue.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM

I've stayed at both, the Verneuil, 3 times and the Danube at least 10 times. Both are excellent choices. The rooms at the Verneuil are quite a bit smaller than the superior rooms at the Danube. We never bother with the hotel breakfast at the Danube, since there are about 4 places nearby that offer it , at less cost . The breakfast at the Verneuil was not any better than that offered at the nearby cafes.

Both have pleasant staff. We had food poisoning while staying at the Verneuil, and they were a great help in getting us meds and liquids! But I have come to be very fond of the permanent staff at the Danube, some find them a bit formal,but they ARE French!! And when you need assistance they are very willing to help. Most speak good English and some speak better English than I hear here in FL!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful information, Jody. They both sound very nice.

The Verneuil has said the room they have is 14 square meters and on the back of the hotel. Is this really small and dark?

I have been looking at the addresses and photos on pagesjaunes.fr. There are a few very crowded parts of the left bank that leave me feeling a little stressed rather than exhilarated. Am I right that those areas are right across from Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame, and not where these hotels are?

Is one nearer to convenient metro?

And lastly, any other hotels I should be considering? I haven't reserved yet, just inquired about room availability.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:31 AM

I too think the areas right across from Notre Dame and Ile de la Cite are crowded. The 2 hotels you mentioned are close to the D'Orsay and just across from the Louvre. The Danube is nearer the St Germain metro stop , the Verneuil is about 1 long block further , so really not much difference. Odeon and Mabillion are a short walk along from St Germain. There are also bus stops very nearby.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:38 AM

I am not familiar with the Verneuil but love the du Danube - both the hotel and its location. Ditto on Jody's remarks about breakfast - there is no shortage of good eateries in the vicinity of Rue Jacob. If you are at the Danube check out the building next door (to your right when facing the buildings). It is where Ben Franklin signed the Treaty of Paris.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
14 sq. meters is around 148 SF, so subtracting around 45 SF for the bath (which I presume is included) that leaves around 100 SF for the room (i.e. around 10 ft x 10 ft.) Subtract a closet and room for the door to swing and you have two twin beds with a nightstand between, a tiny wee desk and a wardrobe or small closet, and you're pretty much done. That's my recollection of our rooms at the Verneuil, i.e. standard crunch. Still, it's very cute and a good location. "Back of the hotel" actually means closer to the river/traffic, but I doubt there'd be much noise regardless.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional information. They both sound like very nice hotels, and at this point I'm wishing I'd booked my entire trip at one or the other.

basingstroke, as a former 18th century American history scholar/dabbler, I think the Danube is winning by a nose or a treaty.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:09 AM

Actually that Ben Franklin buiding is a hotel and a very nice one, the Angleterre (rue Jacob)! We stayed there before it was remodeled, The remodeling really improved it but I think their prices went way up!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:01 AM

Glad to know that. I hadn't paid attention but noticed the plaque on the building. Might try it out next time. I love the location.