Paris: Hotel de la Place des Vosges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering this hotel for next year June. We have been offered room #60. I did read a few comments but not too much about this particular room. Is the bathroom modern? And since the hotel doesn't have air conditioning-just fans-will it be very hot in the room during June? I guess we can leave the window open without a problem?

Also not too familiar with this area, are there various restaurants nearby the hotel?

Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:40 AM

If you face the front, leaving the window open will prove to be very noisy in the early morning.
I have not been there for two years but at that time, the bathrooms had toilets, sinks and bathtub/shower, but I would not call it modern. It was clean but looked like something out of the fifties. I think I read a comment where it has been remodeled, though.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sher, thanks for the comments. I'm not sure if the room faces the street; the hotel says there is a view of the Bastille from the window.

More comments please.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:55 AM

I haven't heard great things about this hotel. And you could be quite warm in June. The weather in Paris can be fickle that time of year-- anything from very cool to temperate or HOT.The area itself is one of my favorites in Paris. Some wonderful cheap restaurants: Vins des Pyrenees, 25 rue Beautreillis, very French, excellent stews and wines; Les Fernandises, 17-19 rue de la Fontaine au Roi, great bistro food; good Italian trattoria food at L'Enoteca, 25 rue Charles V,; and for a really fun, Morrocan style place, Comptoir paris Marrakech, 37 rue Berger.
As far as hotels, depending on your budget, I'd recommend:
Caron de Beaumarchais, which runs about $130-170 US a night; or Grand Hotel Jean d'Arc, 3 rue Jarente, which is considerably cheaper.I can't remember if either of these have AC, but it's definitely worth checking!

Just so you know, immediately surrounding the Hotel de la Place des Vosges, there is a square full of bistros, fancy restaurants, art galleries, boutiques, and outdoor music. It is a very lively scene, really great!

Bonne chance!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:09 AM

May I ask what the charge for the rooms are now?
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Std. or twin room is 120 euro

Recently restored room is 202 euro
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

I do recall seeing more favorable comments than not. But it does concern me that because Paris weather is unpredictible, a room without a/c may not be good if there's a heat wave and room #60 is on the top floor where it'll be hotter. We are also considering the popular Muguet since that has a/c.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Francophile there's a string from this past December about this hotel AND this room (60 in the title). As I recall this room is the biggest (and best) in the hotel but I beieve the poster said it's a triple with 3 single beds. The area's great but I'm not sure about no a/c.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Bootman4U

Don't know what your budget is but if you really want to stay IN the Place de Vosges then the hotel to consider would be the Pavillion de la Reine..they have a website, it is A/C throughout, marble baths, great full breakfast and worth every panny, especially if you can get it at a discount.

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Pavillion de la Reine is a fantastic hotel, but I believe rates start at about $300 a night for a small room. It does have ac, however.

Good luck!