Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel, central, with bar, max. £150/night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, a friend is looking for the above for a surprise for another friend.

Criteria: central location, lots of shops and cafes nearby (I am thinking St Germain de Pres is ideal). Budget: double for maximum £150 a night.

Any suggestions? At that price, I am thinking 3-star more than my recent 2-star research.

Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM

That is around 200 euro a night and I think that should be no problem except for the bar criteria. Now it really depends what you mean by that -- lots of hotels have someplace they call a bar, which can be just a small counter and maybe the hotel will pour you a drink. But if you really want a hotel with a popular bar with a crowd, etc., that's entirely a different thing and I don't know of one in that budget in St Germain. For example, the Aubusson has one, and I think the Hotel Artus, and the Hotel Lenox has one that is popular with the fashion crowd (I've read). It is less than 200 euro and that would be a good choice in St Germain (both Aubusson and Artus are too expensive for you)
http://www.lenoxsaintgermain.com/

I'm also going to suggest the Select Hotel in the Latin Qtr in place de la Sorbonne as it does hav doubles between 150-200 euro, has a bar but also is right on a square with cafes/bars and has got everything else you want. Also, it is well-known and historic, so I think would be a great choice for a surprise. Some famous people have stayed there.
http://www.selecthotel.fr

Old May 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Christina, that is very helpful!
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Spent 3 nights at the hotel Select last weekend. Fantastic location on Place de la Sorbonne and within easy walking distance of St Germain. The bars/restaurants on Place de la sorbonne were great with a good atmosphere/ mix of tourists and locals. It was easy to walk to St Germain and the lovely speciality shops and restaurants there.

The hotel itself is contemporary in style with a minimalist feel. Rooms were of reasonable size for Paris and it does have a bar although we did not see anyone use it when we were there. This is possibly because you have bars on your doorstep.

Would definitely stay there again if I go back to Paris.
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Ta for advice and feedback. My friend advises the hotel has been reserved. Can't wait to hear how it goes.