Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris. Help on the neighbourhood I would like to stay in.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling through Europe with my sister in June and we're doing this trip on a very low budget.. I've had no problems finding a place to stay in Dublin, Edinburgh and Marseilles. But Paris and London have been causing me headaches for weeks now.

I've been renting rooms/apartments through airbnb and have been really lucky with prices and locations but I need help with the one I found in Paris.

I found a nice little bedroom for rent and the price is so right. But before I book I want to be certain I am not going to spend too much money with bus fair everyday. I really want to be certain that the price I will be paying is worth my 30-40 minute travel to reach the tourist area. The place I am thinking of renting is located on Rue Vercingétorix ( between BD Brune and Rue de Vouillé).

I am aware that it's not in a tourist area but is that area safe? How much is the bus/rail cost. I want to calculate my fees and if they come too high I will then choose a more central location for a little more.

Thanks for all your helps in advance.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 03:59 AM

Take a look at apartments that www.rentparis.com offers. They are generally simple, affordable and many are in the Marais which make them very convenient in central Paris. I would not want to loose precious time in Paris riding a bus.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:03 AM

That's a good location and not at all that far from tourist sites by public transport. Plus, you'll be near the wonderful rue Raymond Losserand and rue Daguerre, both of which have lots of restos, cafés and foody type stuff. However, you'll be on the southern end of your street so a couple of blocks from the best parts of the other streets but still not bad. The neighborhood is safe.

To learn how to get around on the Paris by métro/bus/RER use www.ratp.fr. Here is an interactive map of the system:

http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Since parts ot his website are only in French you can use www.transilien.com or www.vianavigo.com. A good website to learn how to use public transport in Paris is www.parisbytrain.com.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

The place I'm thinking of renting is costing 202$ (cad) for 3 nights for 2 people. Plus as an added bonus the person who's renting the room is a chef (And we will be getting one home cooked meal) and it includes breakfast for that price.

@FrenchMystiqueTours. What do you mean when you say: "However, you'll be on the southern end of your street so a couple of blocks from the best parts of the other streets but still not bad". Is the place I'm renting not a good enough location?

@ seafox: I've checked that website all ready. The price I'm getting is way cheaper then what is offered on that web-site. I'm not looking for a full apartment but only a room. it's only to sleep since we will be doing lots of visiting.

Je pense prendre une passe Navigo. Es-ce que ça vaux la peine? I'm Thinking of getting a one week navigo pass for the 3 days we'll be there is is worth it? We plan to visit Versaille and all ( we'll lots) of sites in Paris.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:44 AM

I mean you're on the southern end of rue Vercingétorix and the liveliest section of rue Raymond Losserand is its northern end, so a few blocks north of where you are staying. Rue Daguerre is closer to Montparnasse. Mappy.com will give you walking times to these places. I think where you are staying is fine if you think you've got a good deal/value for your money.

You need to figure out how often you'll use public transport and where you'll be going to see if a Navigo pass is worth it. For only three days I would assume buying carnets of métro tickets (10 individual tickets) may be best for you but you need to compare. Individual RER tickets to Versailles from Paris are around 4€ each way. Use the websites I gave you to figure out your public transport costs/options.

I also suggest getting a detailed map of Paris (scale of about 1:12,000) so you can see where places are in relation to one another. Good maps show all streets and street names, museums, parks, gardens, sites and attractions and all métro/RER stops.