Paris Gare d'Est hotels/B&B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for suggestions in three star range.

I know there is a Best Western and have had two good reviews.

Any more feedback re BW or other suggestions?

Thank you!

Trip is planned for late Sept/early Oct.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Why in that area?
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Mercure Terminus Est is across the street from the Best Western (which is part of the train station building).
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:55 AM

I'll expand on Gretchen's question...is there a particular reason for staying there? Are you leaving by train and want to be there for an early departure?
You could stay in a more central area. Gare de L'Est is a bit out of the way if you would like to walk to any interesting sites.

There are three metro lines that come to that station, so staying more central will not make access to Gare any problem. That being said, if walking to sites not a priority, metro will get you where you want to go (e.g. Louvre ~ 7 stops)
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:41 AM

I stayed in this hotel several years ago when it was run by Frantour - it was during a heat wave and I was desperate for a hotel with AC (less commonly available in those days.) The room was comfortable and modern but pretty generic; staff was quite friendly and helpful. The location was convenient for catching the Metro or train but does not offer a lot more. The surrounding neighborhood is a bit gritty.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I stayed in a hotel just around the corner from Gare de l'Est and the area was very dicey - especially the metro exit where a crowd that i would expect in the Bronx was literally hanging out - on the stair rails and all around the entrance.

Though having ghetto attire i'm not sure they were a threat - but still wasn't comforting for the average traveler.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Forget the past. Gare de l'Est has just been magnificently refurbished (although not everything is finished yet -- the new Flo Brasserie in the old left luggage office has yet to arrive). People should not condemn neighborhoods in Paris on how they were 5 or 10 years ago.

Property values are skyrocketing in all of the 'poor' areas, and the infamous 'bobo' crowd ('bourgeois bohemians' -- people with lots of money who want to live in working class neighborhoods) are changing the entire northeast area of Paris.

I live in an area far 'worse' than Gare de l'Est in most peoples' eyes (La Chapelle-La Goutte d'Or) and at least 4 cafés have been transformed in the last 6 months into chic watering holes, not to mention the 4-star boutique hotel that opened in an old factory. Another 12-screen art cinema multiplex run by MK2 will be breaking ground soon, and renovation is in progress on the gigantic municipal undertaker building, which will be transformed into a mammoth art complex next year.

So those of you who think you know the areas of Paris to avoid, please think again.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I have stayed in the area and have a friend who has an apartment in the area. I just wonder why stay in that part of Paris. There is more to be seen and done elsewhere.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Most people who do not have mobility problems do not need to stay in a hotel right next to the tourist attractions. In any case, it is an easy walk to the canal St. Martin or Montmartre from Gare de l'Est, as well as being quite pleasant to walk to the center of Paris from there. It is also one of the major bus hubs of Paris (all of the '30' series of buses), besides having 3 metro lines.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Jack - where have all the ghetto-esque Blacks i saw hanging out at the Chateau d'Eau metro stop just a few years ago gone to?
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM

and BTW i would not say avoid this area as it was then because i've rarely heard of an violence against tourists but for a typical American traveler it could be rather unnerving - justified or not
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM

The black people are still there, because 80% of the African hairdressers in Paris are located on boulevard de Strasbourg. Since the braids and extensions take about 5 or 6 hours to do, the menfolk hang around waiting for their ladies, something that I guess men of European extraction do not have the habit of doing.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the feedback. Wow!

The reason I wanted to stay near the station is that I am coming in from Boston via de Gaul and a friend is coming by the new high speed train from Luxembourg. It just seemed a logical place to meet, since transportation from de Gaul seemed easy and the high speed train comes into that station.

We are going to spend some time together in Paris and catch the train back to Lux.

Seemed easiest.