Paris Escape in Spring

Old Mar 18th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Paris Escape in Spring

My fiance and I love Paris and have been fortunate enough to be able to return this year. I'm looking for some new ideas for our trip!

We will have enough time to do 2 day trips possibly even 3 if we're motivated. We've only been to Versailles so far. What do you think would be the perfect combination if we do 3 easy to get to locations? We enjoy castles, champagne, wine, art but not too much into the Medieval stuff.

This is also a culinary escape on a semi moderate budget meaning instead of splurging on dinners, we'll go for lunch instead. It is also great timing with the Euro being fantastically low so please introduce me to some of your favorites. We are staying in the 10th but will trek anywhere for great food! Knowing my adventurous fiance, he will probably throw in a couple of surprise dinners but the plan is to go big on lunch.

We have also been to a few museums, some we will return to like the d'Orsay, but there are plenty more to explore such as the Air and Space museum. Any favorites stand out? I'm sure I'll have more questions as I prepare but I am grateful for anything you might have for me. Thanks and yay for Paris!
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 03:30 PM

Great easy day trips:

Chartres and its world-famous cathedral and nice regional town - try to take Malcom Miller's iconic tours of the cathedral.

Reims - great cathedral - where French monarchs were crowned traditionally and of course world-famous Champagne Houses' caves to tour and taste a bit of the bubbly at the end or buy right from the proprietor.

Giverny and Monet's House and water gardens - Train to Vernon - 3 miles by cab or foot - sweet old sleepy village too.

Auvers-sur-Oise where Van Gogh spent his last months doing so many paintings of local scenes - not there is a reproduction placed right at where he executed them - including the one in cornfields with a brooding sky and crows flocking around many claim was Van Gogh's picture of his own state of mind as he soon killed himself - you can see the small room and blood-stained bed at the Hotel Ravoux (?) still and again a sweet village with its own chateau that hosts a multi-media exposition of life of the Impressionists who came her in the late 1800s.

So so many others but these are my four favorites - I hope FrenchMystique adds her/his exhaustive list of day trips from Paris.

Normandy and the D-day beaches are but a few hours by train - hook up with a mini-bus tour and easily done to see the main beaches and military cemetery, etc. (Train to Bayeux - 2 hrs each way)

Mont-Saint-Michel is a longer day trip - about 3 hours each way by TGV train and bus but of course a real gem.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 05:33 AM

more to explore such as the Air and Space museum. Any favorites stand out? >

If into science check out Arts-et-Metiers - which showcases old scientific instruments and has Focaualt's original pendulum swinging in the apse of an old church and monastery the museum occupies.

http://translate.google.com/translat...t/&prev=search
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 09:27 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-542820-2.cfm

FrenchMystique's great rundown on day trips from Paris - most are easily done by train - for lots on French trains check these informative sites: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - just buy those tickets once there as they are mainly regional trains with a flat fare and IME never sell out.
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 10:37 AM

We were in Paris last May and we splurged on wonderful mid-day meals rather than dinners, just as you plan to do. Do you know about he restaurant booking site, www.lafourchette.com ?

Our favorite restaurant on that trip was L’Assiette.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much PalenQ! I read the places on the link but still trying to decide. There are so many great ones to choose from. I've never used lafourchette but I will check it out. The food photos on the website of L'Assiette look so scrumptious. Thanks Kathie!

I always wanted to go to Cafe Marly because of the view of the pyramid. What do you think is the best time to go and is the food good or should we just get drinks? I think I can make reservations.

Has anyone tried Mi-Va-Mi, the falafel place? I was a bit disappointed in L'As Du Fallafel in the Marais after all the hype I read but wondering if the other place is any better. This could be one of our dinners.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Something FM might not suggest - go to Bruxelles.. Or Bruges (but I find it a little big too far away for a one day trip)..
Thlays sells tickets 90 some days in advance and it cost 35 -39 € per trip - 160 for 2 of you.
Enjoy Paris anyway !
One of my fav restaurants in Paris is Iperiber - just sent my wife with some friends of her and they liked it a lot.
mvg