Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Driving: How Close to the City Does It Get Crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be dropping our rental car after touring the southwest countryside, and before our stay in Paris. Wish to avoid insane traffic. Can someone suggest a town or city with train station to drop car, stopping short of crazy traffic vortex?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM

How about dropping it off at the airport and then taking public transportaion in. We've driven in and out of the airport a number of times with no problems.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:25 AM

I'd suggest Orly airport... then take the shuttle into town.

PB
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Drop the car off at Orly. I once came into Paris on a Friday afternoon and it took me two hours to go from the southern outskirts of the city to the north-east corner to drop off the car.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM

From the southwest? Versailles, no contest.

Cheaper than an airport drop-off and you can tour the chateau before heading for Paris.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM

<i>p.s.</i> You can ride the RER C from Versailles RG to any M&eacute;tro station in Paris cheaper (2.65&euro than the OrlyVal from the airport to the RER B line at Antony (7&euro.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM

if you live near a major city (such as Washington DC, etc) the traffic is no worse than those places. it's just unfamiliar. I've driven a fair bit near/around and even some IN Paris and it's not that bad. really.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM

We have done the Versailles drop off.
Spent the night there, the palace next day and then easy train trip into Paris.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:27 PM

There's nothing crazy about driving in Paris; it's the same as any other large city. However, traffic is very heavy, and often stop-and-go for hours at a time.

Traffic jams begin miles outside of Paris during the rush hours (which last for several hours each morning and evening).
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:05 PM

It is well known that one out of twelve Parisians has killed someone with their car by the time they are 40.

OK. Maybe it's not that bad, but I disagree with those that claim it is no worse than many other large cities.

First, if you don't read French there will be more confusion and stress. I read French fairly well, but not as &quot;instantaneously&quot; as I read English, and that increases the stress load.

Second, if you are unfamiliar with the rules and habits of French roads and drivers, you may find yourself intimidated or uncertain of what to do in certain situtations. More stress.

Third, Paris is full of wide boulevards that progressively narrow to simple two-lane streets with minimal lane markings to aid in the transition. Everyone seems to think that thier lane is the one that goes through.

Fourth, remember Princess Diana.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'remember Princess Diana' - except that I wouldnt have wanted to meet her car coming at me , with a driver over the alcohol and speed limits, and no one but the bodyguard (who survived) wearing a seat belt.
Anyway, back to the question - the other approach is to leave the car in the southwest and take the train in. Brive has most rental agenices right by the train station, they don't usually charge extra the leave the car there even if you picked it up somewhere else, and it's only 4 hours into the centre of Paris.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:52 AM

&quot;...Traffic jams begin miles outside of Paris during the rush hours (which last for several hours each morning and evening)...&quot;

Believe me, this describes the Washington, DC, metro area almost perfectly!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:00 AM

Hi
Several years ago we returned a rental car in Paris. While driving is no worse than in a major American city, finding where to return the car was difficult. since then we go to the airport to pick up and drop off a car. while there are surcharges in most airports the convenience is the difference. many times when we return a car, we are flying out the next day so we just stay in a hotel by the airport.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

This is helpful. I've driven in DC area a lot, avoiding rush hrs, but our French is far from parfait, and language gap would certainly add to the stress. Will not need to deal with paparazzi, though, I suppose. We'll probably go with Versailles. Thanks to all!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM

Make sure you come from the direction of Chartres, and not Orl&eacute;ans. If the latter, chances are that you will get to sample the traffic along the southern side of Paris.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:00 AM

We are expats living temporarily in Paris. While I have friends who do drive in Paris (they all read and speak fluent French) I do not. I have lived here for almost one year and have found driving of no value. I wouldn't attempt it unless I had someone to navigate or a reliable GPS--even then, It's important to kow that NO ONE stays in a lane--not theirs, not mine--none! I am fairly adventurous and don't scare easily, but driving in Paris is harrowing. IMHO.