Reload this Page >

Venice: Speed Boat Ride "Tours" of the Islands

Notices

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have knowledge of speed boat tours from San Marco to the three islands: Murano, Burano, Torcello?

I was told the cost is 20 euro per person, and the boat leaves twice a day at 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. You spend 1/2 hour at each island.

Is this a specific tour with a "name," or do you just catch a water taxi at San Marco?
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several firms offering organised trips to the islands. See www.canalgrande.it for an example.
You can easily get to the islands using the regular ACTV boats ("vaporetti")which are much cheaper with a 24- or 72-hour ticket, and you can then spend as long as you like on the islands. If you have lots of money to throw away, you could hire a water taxi for your own tour.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
oldie

I think it was with the company you mentioned, but I went on a "Venice by Night" tour.
You didn't stop off at any of the islands but got a vert pleasant trip around the lagoon.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just get the vaporetti slow but fun
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

However, my son and his family don't have the time in Venice for a slow boat to-and-from the islands.

I know a water taxi is expensive, but he heard 20 eur p.p. was the going rate for this "tour." I'll tell him to find out more information from his source.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know these tours exist, but could never imagine why anyone should waste money and book them. There are the normal water bus connections to the islands, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't need (nor want) any guide or anybody else holding my hand while walking around an island - with a good guidebook, you'll have a better knowledge of the sights (which are scarce on Murano and Burano, but splendid on Torcello) than most of the guides.
It would be different if you wanted to go to islands not connected by public water buses - San Francesco del Deserto e.g. If you take a taxi, they'll charge you incredible tariffs, and what you can see there is hardly worth paying so much.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The vapporetto to Murano is smaller and much faster than the ones that go around Venice. It really moves along. I don't think that there is much to be gained by a speedbboat.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I found the information I was looking for:

http://www.tours-italy.com/venice/th..._boat_tour.htm

Once again, if anyone has knowledge of the three-island boat tour, please respond. I would appreciate it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't have time to visit the islands properly, then just see the sights of the city, and visit the islands another time. I don't see the point in wasting half a day sitting in a waterbus just to get a brief glimpse of the islands - 40 minutes ashore is nothing, especially as the people on this sort of tour are likely to be the older and less-able sightseers.
Burano is a wonderful place for a leisurely stroll and meal, but not for a quick dash with a multilingual guide.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I have taken this tour, and found that if you have limited time and want to see some of the islands off of Venice, this is not a bad option. Just be forewarned that you are getting only a taste of the islands.

Our tour departed near the Danielli hotel off St. Mark's Square. We went to the first island, Murano, where we saw the typical glass making exhibition, and (of course) the boutique where you could make purchases. There was little pressure to buy.

On Torcello, we had about 45 minutes to walk the island and visit the Cathedral. I did not feel that I, personally, needed more time on Torcello.

On our last stop, Burano, we saw a lace-making demonstration, and had about 40 minutes to explore.

You spend more time on the boat than you do on the islands. However, that in itself was charming and relaxing. There was no hassle.

Is it the ideal way to really visit Murano, Burano, or Torcello? No. However, it was a good alternative way to do so. I have limited vacation time, and this was the only way I would have had the time to visit the 3 islands. On my next visit, I think I will visit Burano for an afternoon, and stay for dinner. The island was absolutely charming.

Alilaguna offers the tour, and from what I recall of my research, most tour operators are selling you tickets for their tour. The tour was about $25 US/person. For me, the convenience was worth it. Just do not expect to be able to write a guideback from the experience you get with this tour.

Feel free to ask me any other questions, and do not be dissuaded from doing any tour if it suits your needs.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chels,

Thank you...this is the kind of information I am looking for (I am not dissuaded by other people's opinions however well-intended).

My son and his family want to take this tour. He's in FL, I'm in CT, so we are corresponding by e-mail. He also heard of a "free" boat ride out to Burano, if you watch a 20-minute video.

I will forward your information onto my son and his wife.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad my comments helped. One last thought. I would not do this tour (especially in the afternoon) if you are jet lagged. You spend some time on the boat between islands, and if you are over-tired, this may be a bit much. I did this tour on my 2nd day in Europe after arriving from NYC. I was ok, but I think it would have been a better experience if I had had another day or two to recover from the overnight flight after being at work all day.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chels,

Good point about the jet lag. We are flying JFK (p.m.)and arriving in VCE (a.m.), so that is definitely a factor.

I appreciate your help.