Paris Dinner Reservations

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Dan

Paris Dinner Reservations

Will be in Paris from Jan 1-7. and had some questions regarding Reservations, attire, and cost. (I am aware that reservations this late will be close to impossible at a few choices). I ask about attire simply for the sake of packing, if I don't need a Jacket, I wont bring one, if a tie is appropriate, then I'll bring one!
(1) Le Jules Verne - Does Lunch attire differ from that of dinner?
(2) Taillavent - Avg price, attire, too late for reservations?
(3) Le Grand Vefour - Avg price, attire, too late for reservations?

I only mention these three because they are the ones i have heard the most about. Please feel free to recommend others with the above questions in mind. THANKS

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Jack

Could well be too late for most nights, maybe not all possible nights.

Dress up. But then, I am a believer that better attire is part of having a better dinner.

The one certain way to check availability is simply call them. A phone call isn't going to break you is it? If it is, then skip dessert.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:23 PM
oldorch

good luck! i only know about grand vefour and it is jacket and tie. my girlfriend and i had lunch (dinner was booked) and it was 525 euros. we also had a contact for the reservations (1.5 months in advance for late jan.) i recommend it highly but i will be tough to get in this late i think.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Howard

Definitely bring a jacket and a tie.(Hey, the latter doesn't take up very much room in the suitcase!)

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Sue

Lunch at Grand Vefour in May was 71(or72?) euro; made reservations about a month ahead. Every man had at least a jacket and tie, if not suit.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Amy

Lunched at Jules Verne last month. Husband wore tie and we were both glad he made that decision. Faxed for reservations about a month ahead and were told no window tables were available but we were actually seated at one. Food good, the view beautiful.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Sue

Wow, Oldorch, you spent over $500 for lunch at LGV? Was that with a very expensive bottle of wine? Our 71 euro lunch was the "menu", but even a la carte that sounds high for lunch.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:04 AM
elaine

those restaurants, jacket and tie for dinner, no question. I would say the same at lunch, but I can't say based on personal experience.

Prices: as of a year ago, plan on 200e pp at least for dinner, could easily reach 300e and up, pp, depending on the wine.

Too late for reservations at the JV unless they get a cancellation, they book up to 6 months in advance;
Taillevent is almost as difficult. Le Grand Vefour you may have a shot just because it's less often mentioned in the press.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:23 AM
oldorch

sue..i agree totally.. we indulged..your 71 euro was that for 1 or 2 people? (we had before and after dinner drinks as well) as usual our booze bill was over half the total bill.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Wendy

Lunch for 2 at JV a few years ago $300; Dinner for 2 at Taillevent last Jan. $500- a suit for dinner absolutely. Email Taillevent today, call or fax JV.

http://www.taillevent.com/english/index.html

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Sue

The 71 euro was per person at LGV; there were 3 of us, and with bottle of wine our total bill must have been near $300. Can't remember if we had to pay for coffee or not.