Dinner Reservations in Paris ??

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinner Reservations in Paris ??

We are leaving on Tuesday for Paris and I did not make dinner reservations What are my chances of getting in a good restaurant ??
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:52 AM

What's your definition of a "good restaurant?" If you're talking about Jules Vernes, Taillevent, Le Grand Véfour, etc., your chances are pretty slim to nil unless you're staying at a posh hotel and the concierge has connections and there's a cancellation.

If you're talking about good neighborhood restaurants, bistros, brasseries, etc., you should be able to find great food without a reservation at all but the most popular places.

If you have places in mind already, why not call now? Or at least call or stop by upon your arrival.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:02 AM
tod

If it's just two of you it will be fine to go to a place like Le Train Bleu at about 6.30 -7pm. We did have reservations but during the evening there were several tables still vacant at any one time.
The meal was really nice and at the end of the dinner all 4 us us were presented with a beautiful large blue souvenir menu!! The rooms are awesome, the waiters devine and really did some major sucking-up .
One good laugh however was that our "smoking" table was right next to a table that was supposed to be non-smoking. I think smoking means you get an ashtray and vice-versa!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - I'll keep Le Train Bleu in mind - and maybe while we're just walking around we'll pop in and make a reservation for that night or the next.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:36 AM

JerseySue, where are you staying?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I picked out a couple of restaurants I wanted to eat in and called the restaurant the week before. I speak alittle french, and would start speaking in french, and then ask if anyone spoke english. It was never a problem. It was nice not to worry about finding a restaurant the first couple days and also eating somewhere that had good reviews.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Just call your hotel and ask to have dinner reservations made wherever you want to go--except, almost certainly, for the top restaurants.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Elaine - we're staying at the LeParc Sofitel - don't know much about where it's located.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM

It's in the 16th district.
Can't help but wonder what led you to book it if you don't know much about the neighborhood.

Much of the 16th is a lovely residential area, (at least the part I like is) but it's not the usual venue for a Paris first-timer, if that's what you are. There aren't as many stroll-around-and-see-what-you-find places as in some other areas.

I do find that I'm usually able to book a same-day table in most casual places that I'm interested in. I have the hotel do it in the morning.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Just returned from Paris and we did not make one reservation ahead of time. We did not eat in the ultra expensive restaurants. We are early eaters and usually arrived at about 7:30p.m. We were not there at the weekend however.

Le Petit Prince near the Sorbonne was great. Very french and super service. 12 rue de Lanneau.In fact many of the restaurants in that area..if you walk up the the Pantheon ..looked excellent.

Co Ba Saigon was a lucky find just off the Champs Elysee. 181 rue de Faubourg.

Chez Marianne..in the Jewish district just outside the Marais was a great. Mediterranean..you could share a platter. Small and was busy after about 8:00p.m.2 rue des Hospitalieres

Best moules we had was in a small restaurant..Longchamps..in Porte Maillot..just off the main circle. 9 euros for an enormous pot with unbelievable frites!

Thank you very much to all fodorites who gave us such wonderful info on markets and restaurants.

Enjoy!