Paris Convention Concerns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new thread for a new concern. We will be in Paris for the last full week in February. I just found that there will be a major fashion/textile trade show, the Premier Vision Show, expecting 40,000 attendees. It will be held at the Parc d'Expositions Paris Nord Villepinte. I am certain that many of those attending will make their way to the city center.

How concerned do you all think we should be about:
1. hotel accomodations -I think we'll get one very soon...We were thinking along the line of Delavigne (not avaliable), The Select (not available) the Michelet Odeon (not certain). Any additional suggestions? JeanneB, your thoughts?
2. Are cafes/bistros going to be packed?
3. Museums - long lines?

Are am I needlessly concerned because Paris can handle this sort of convention influx seamlessly (no pun intended)?

The flight's booked so we're going. What do you all think?

Merci...
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM

Paris hosts huge conventions all the time. This won't affect anything more than any of the rest of the conventions do. February will actually be a kind of "quiet" month in Paris because the tourists, who number a LOT more than 40,000 every year, for the most part won't be there.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM

The hotels below are well discussed on these threads...a search on each name should give you the info you need. I'm assuming you're in the 110-130 euro range.

Hotel Bonaparte,6th (near the Delavigne). No website. Fax for availability.
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

Hotel Muguet, 7th, is very popular and I think it's in your price range
http://www.paris-hotel-muguet.com/index.html

Hôtel de France Invalides, 7th.
http://www.hoteldefrance.com/hotel-s...14&lang=en

Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain, 5th
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005abbatial.htm
Maybe higher...they have a long list of promotions, but I think that week in February is an exception.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM

Premiere Vision (note the spelling) attracts only professional fabric buyers and industry trend spotters. Many don't bother staying in Paris at all: you can easily visit the show from Europe's more economically important cities and get home again the same day.

These people do so much travelling in a year that an overnight in Paris really holds few attractions. And 40,000 people really is a drop in the Paris ocean.

I've never heard a single exhibitor or visitor show any interest in a museum or art gallery. Some modish (not necessarily good) restaurants do get a bit fuller at dinner time. Otherwise, you simply won't be aware of the exhibition's existence.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

flanneruk,
You seem very knowledgeable and your points make a great deal of sense.
Thanks a lot. I'm not going to be concerned about that anymore.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Since we most often go to Paris in the Fall, the only concern is that the Fall Fashion shows are going on and we have to be sure to get our hotel reservations early enough. ( and maybe a few of the more expensive , popular restaurants).
Other than that, seeing a few imaginatively dressed people in the streets is the only sign of the crowds that arrive for these conventions
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
Thanks, I am feeling better about the situation with each encouraging response.
And by the way, that was a very "pc" response on your part. You're right though, some entertainment costs and some is just right there for your enjoyment.