Paris concerts in May?

Search

Paris concerts in May?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris concerts in May?

My daughter and I will be in Paris from May 13-20. I had my heart set on taking her to a concert at St. Chapelle and a ballet at the Opera Garnier, but I've checked several websites and can find absolutely nothing scheduled for that week at either venue. Am I missing something? Thanks for any guidance.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
that is 9+ months away - far too early for concert listings at Ste Chapelle. Yes, there will be concerts then.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM

www.operadeparis.fr/

It certainly looks like there is nothing on the calendar at Garnier for the exact week that you are there!
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

janisj, Thank you (and please pardon my ignorance).

beaupeep, I noticed that, too! I wonder why that is...
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 12:52 AM

When the time draws closer, you might
want to try www.ampconcerts.com
for St. Chapelle listings.
Arrive 1/2 hr beforehand for your 25E
tickets and enjoy.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:34 AM

It's not unusual for there not to be dance in May in many places. They don't have ballets every week of the year in any city that has a ballet company, in fact there are limited times when they have ballet, so it's not unusual for any week of a visit to possibly be outside a schedule as usually they are only a couple weeks for a particular program, and they only do a few a year (Fall Winter, early Spring and then late June to closing in mid-July). There are a lot of French holidays in May, so it's a good time to have a break in the company's schedule (Labor Day, WWII Victory Day, Ascension, Pentecost and Whit Monday). I know it would be disappointing to go and there be nothing at a place you wanted to attend, but it happens.

There will be concerts in places, you can count on that. That one musical group (AMP concerts) that does those tourist concerts at Sainte Chapelle may not be performing that one week, and there are breaks there when they use if for something else or something. I don't think they have any in December sometime, either, if I recall. Maybe they just don't want to perform every week of the year. AMP concerts is not the only group that peforms at Sainte Chapelle, though, and it's pretty impossible that one could find a full schedule this far ahead of church concerts in Paris. Sainte Chapelle is different than most church concerts, of course, and they probably do have schedules pretty far in advance, but they are private groups so the venue itself (which isn't really a working church, but a monument) doesn't seem to have a performance schedule of everything going on there.

I saw a schedule from 2006, and there weren't any concerts at Ste Chapelle during mid-May then, either. There will definitely be concerts in Paris, though.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I guess I'll wait a few months and check again.