COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - CDG Airport - Getting to RER station

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I have done a lot of research on this and am really hoping for some validation. I will be very specific.

1. I'm flying into CDG via British Airways and land at 10.30PM on a thursday night.

2. I'm supposed to arrive into Terminal 2B.

3. From what I have read on the net, I need to take the airport shuttle at Exit 6 of Terminal 2B.

4. This will take me to the RER station where I would have to buy ticket to Paris.

5. I can change RER lines without getting out of the station using this one ticket.

Please tell me if any of my information is incorrect or if there is something I have missed or need to be aware of.

Thanks much in advance!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Your info is correct.

One thing you should be aware of is that a US credit card will not work at the CDG RER ticket machines (if you happen to have enough Euro coins on you then of course go with the machines). If you don't have enough Euro coins, then you'll need to go straight to one of the manned ticket windows (the lines will be longer at the windows, of course).
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Acually you can walk from the terminals 2B to RER station. Just follow the sign for RER, walk through terminal 2D past the fast-food restaurants. I found it much faster than waiting for the shuttle bus.
Just my concern--hopefully someone else can address this--but is it safe to be taking RER that late at night? (Assume after 11pm by the time you're thru immigrations/luggage/customs)... Thought RER B ligne goes thru rather gritty 'hood???
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

I have considered that. Me and my fiance (to be my wife in a couple of weeks..getting goosebumps) are in our late 20s and reasonably fit and will be carrying light backpacks. We should be alright. Again, if you go by Murphy's law...
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:40 PM

You will need your ticket to get out of both the RER network and the Métro, if you use it. So don't let go of it until you're on the street.

Tell your pilot to arrive early, so you can catch the non-stop at 22h43. {#111;þ

The last trains are at
22h55
23h10
23h10
23h40
23h56

Good luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM

You can try the train but you can always fall back on a taxi, if you change your mind after you've arrived. There is nothing wrong with that.
Try the RER-CDG again when you're leaving Paris.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM

I don't believe safety is too much of a concern on any B line train, but there are express as well as local trains on the B line (if the express trains are operating that late in the evening). If so, I would take an express.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 10:40 PM

As top the so-called "gritty hood"..since the RER passes UNDER all the "hoods" the only concern might be who gets on and IMo that is a totally irrelevant "concern."
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:11 AM

<<the only concern might be who gets on and IMo that is a totally irrelevant "concern.">>

Have you ever been alone on a NYC subway car late at night when a group of bored troublemakers gets on? Believe it - any "concerns" are not "irrelavent".
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

If our flight is delayed for any reason or it takes more than 1.5 hours to clear customs/immigration, we got no choice but to take a cab into Paris...Hopefully, nothing will go wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM

People are always looking for "RER" on the signs at the airport, but in English it says "Paris by train".
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM

If your plane gets in late, or if the carousel gets stuck, or - or - or - have a plan B: maps and printouts from the web of where you are going, addresses and phone numbers, and if worst comes to worst, take a taxi, just so you're not lost.

The crowds on the RER B can be colorful to say the least, if it's anything like my late Sat. night ride a few weeks ago.

It looked for a moment like a crisis could arise when a passenger didn't immediately stamp our his joint (yes, the good herb...) after boarding, and a German passenger very sternly told him - in English and wagging a finger in the guy's face - No Smoking! I wouldn't have been surprised to see a fist flying - in Paris or in NYC or in Sydney or anywhere for that matter in that situation.

But the herb had already mellowed the guy and he just heckled the German back, in African-French patois, to the raucous amusement of the dozens of other Africans packed in tightly around us, and nothing came of it.

Meanwhile a drunk rested his head on my shoulder while taking a nap, after apologizing that he'd had a hard day, of which his bloodied knuckles bore witness ("J'aime pas qu'on m'tape dessus" he mumbled before he fell asleep... "Moi non plus" I answered, and, in that spirit, let him be.)

Just mind your own business and keep your stuff at close range, you'll be allright.

But - in the RER or Metro or wherever you go - don't let the pickpockets get you, because you don't see or feel them before it's too late. You have been warned!

WK