COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Paris Catacombs

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Paris Catacombs

Daughter wants to do the Catacombs in Paris. Me, not so much. Can someone who has been on this tour tell me where the exit is so I can meet her there? Merci.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM

After quite a few google searches I found this..."The entrance is at 1 Place Denfert-Rochereau (nearest Metro: Denfert-Rochereau). The exit is at 36 rue Rémy-Dumoncel (nearest Metro: Alesia or Mouton Duvernet)." They had closed it "indefinitely" to the public as of September 2009 due to vandalism but it seems like it may be open again. I think they cut back the hours and you according to the website (link below) you need to make a reservation before hand.

Also just as an FYI for you it takes at least an hour or so to walk through the whole thing and come out at the end. I don't know how old your daughter is but if she is fairly young you may want to go with her despite your dislike for it. It's fairly dark and can get a bit disorienting down there. They do have signs you can follow but for a young kid it may not be a good idea to send them in alone. As far as the creepyness level it's really not that bad. Just pretend you are at the natural history musuem.

If you want to see some pictures from my trip through to give you an idea click here --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmbphot...7618081547695/

Also here is the offical catacombs website for more info http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm.

Good luck!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TweedyXC! Dear Daughter will be...ahem...40, and I would fear for anybody who tried to mess with her. She can't wait to see the catacombs while I, on the other hand, have always had nightmares about tunnels and don't think I could be underground for an hour (or climb a bazillion steps to get out). I think sitting in a cafe drinking wine somewhere near the exit will suit me just fine.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM

For pix when my wife and I were there, go to www.sanderhome.com and click on 2009 May Paris (bottom right) - then the link for the day we went (May 15) will be self-evident.

It was quite interesting...but, obviously, not if you have claustrophobia.

...and it appears to have reopened: http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/tarifs-english.htm

SS
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM

theflock - Haha my apologies! I think she will easily hold her own then down there then! If you are having nightmares about tunnels or issues with stairs I think I would definitely sit this one out!

SSander - I checked out your gallery list there and we are practically neighbors assuming you are actually in the Philly area vs. just traveling there a lot! I live in Montgomery County.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM

It was only closed for three months after the vandalism, but it looks like news of the closure is going to dominate the internet for at least ten years.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM

TweedyXC...

We live in Chester County. We try to make one European trip a year on average.

SS
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 06:00 AM

We went to the Catacombs in November with our our teenaged granddaughter, and we thought it was well worthwhile.

Your daughter whould be aware that there is no "tour," as such, with guide. You are on your own to walk through the tunnels. Parts were damp and darkish, and a small flashlight was a help. (Somebody had told us to bring a flashlight.)

There is a nice little gift shop-snack bar at the exit, where we recovered from the long climb out.

Byrd