Paris: Carte Orange Out - Navigo Only for Residents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the latest issue of News from France reports: (un-copyrighted publication of the French Embassy in Washington - truncated and paraphrased)

NAVIGO TO REPLACE CARTE ORANGE

"The RATP has recently switched from the Carte Orange to the new and improved Navigo card. RATP asserts that Navigo'sRFID magnetic microchip lends sitself to morecient recharging, replacing and aims to streamline travel thruout the city.

For instance patrons of the Navigo pass can change thei8r subscriptions according to varying schedules, so that cards may be cancelled and reopened at any time.

And the Navigo's yearly rates amount to about 10 euros less than the cur C O and the pass is eco-friendly - reducing comsumption of paper passes.

C Orange, named for its color scheme revolutionized Parisan public transport when introduced in 1975. Prio to its inception, 5 tickets might have been necessary to traverse Paris. C O simplied commutes by giving folks unlimited access to all of the region's public transports for a flat rate for a specified time period.

Navigo hopes to build on C O's success. Even those new to the Paris public transport system can obtain the Navigo pass online at no extra cost if they live or work in the Ile-de-France.

But while Navigo is intended only for residents and commuters <le passe Navigo decouverte> is also available for those who live outside the area and can be purchased at any metro ticket window for immediate use."

End of article Q- anyone capsulate for me the difference between Navigo pass and the one for outsiders - Navigo Decouvrte from a practical standpoint. I guess www.ratp.fr - the Parisian transports web site has it but i wonder i anyone can give a more personal view of it.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hi,

I did the whole Navigo Decouverte thing in Dec...the Navigo is for locals and the N Decouverte for outsiders..like me. I did mine at Ecole Militairs Metro in the late morning. I used their picture maachine..many say that they don't work in many metro staions..you can take one with you..I measured mine for someone recenlty..1 1/2" sq. you can chop something off so only your face shows.

You can load it monthly, but only early in the month. You can load it weekly..runs from Mon-Sunday..I think you can load if for following week about Friday..I may be wrong on the day...So, if you arrive mid week you will need to use a carnet (10 tickets) or individual tickets for a few days. That is what I will have to do when I arrive in April mid-week for a month stay.

Hope this helps a bit...

Joan
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes Joan thanks a lot

i was hoping that the Mon-Sun thing would be history and like London's Oyster Card i can't see why you cannot load it anytime.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
yk

<i>but i wonder i anyone can give a more personal view of it.</i>

Quite a few of reviews from Fodorites on these threads:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...decouverte.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...decouverte.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-questions.cfm
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM

No, the Mon to Sun is the way it works.

I used it for my last week in Paris in Dec., 2008. It was great. You don't even need to remove it from your purse..just pass the purse by. I used it for both bus and metro....The way to go, if it fits your schedule.

I will be arriving on a Wed for a month stay in Paris..but, I am going to run down to Les Baux for a few days the following week..so, will wait to "load" it upon my return the end of the following week.

That's about as personal a view as I am able give of it..I have acquired it and I have used it..something more that you would like??

Joan
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I thought the main difference was just the photo thing, and the $5 fee for the Decouverte one. Other than that, they are no different, are they? The fees are the same, and in fact, I was surprised that article claims there was a fee difference in comparison to the CO because I thought the fees were exactly the same.

I think part of the reason they have it weekly is exactly because this pass is mainly meant to help our resident commuters (people who work), that was the purpose it was developed, as far as I know. It never was meant to be just a general pass for everyone to give reduced fares. There are no children ones, for example. SO even though they are allowing it to be bought on the spot (not the long advance application), keeping it weekly still gives them more financial control. They aren't really trying to just give tourists a big bargain.

Now part of it may just be history, and they are keeping it that way because it's always been that way, don't know. I know a lot of cities do have passes that just cover a certain time period and it totally depends on when you start using it. But maybe they would have to do a cost impact analysis if they changed the date things, or raise the price a lot, and then it would disadvantage the poeple who it really is intended to help -- local working commuters.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM

There is a thread on TA about it. A local person who has all the scoop on the details of it. You can read it all there.

I have it and I have used it. I think it is good for 10 years, thank goodness.

It was very helpful. I will be covering much more of Paris and using buses all over the place when in Paris April/May.

Joan
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM

The main difference is the Navigo user is registered, and thus their movements can be tracked. This caused a bit of uproar, so an "anonymous" card was introduced, which is why visitors can also buy it (doesn't require the application to be completed).

The other difference is the Navigo can store other monetary value (ex. to spend down for Velib use), while the Nav Decv can only store the Carte Orange (all values - week, month, zones,etc) and no other monetary value.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
All paper tickets will probably be eliminated in 2 or 3 years, so you will be loading a carnet value or a ticket value onto a Navigo if you don't want a full subscription.