Search

Paris bridges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 02:20 AM
andy

Paris bridges

In a few days we'll be in Paris. Is is possible to walk from the Left Bank to the Right on any bridge?

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:23 AM
Knowall

No. On some of the bridges you can only walk one way and for a number of them you need pre-paid passes which you can apply for at the town hall. You'll need to order these at least 5 days in advance. The "free" bridges tend to be very crowded and consequently no stopping is allowed. There is an age limit of 18 for using these bridges. Also some days are designated as "French only" and you may not be admitted to a particular bridge if you are a tourist.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:32 AM
dan woodlief

Only on bridges that cross the Seine.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 05:04 AM
Ed

Is this a trick question? <BR> <BR>If you're unable to walk now, travel to Paris is unlikely to remedy the disability. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, you're likely to be able to go from one side of the river to the other on those bridges that reach from one bank to the other bank.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 05:04 AM
ohboy

On Mondays in July that are even days only...............

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 05:21 AM
Alan

I believe that overseas tourists can buy a "carnet des ponts" which will entitle them to use the pay bridges on a sort of "stand by" capacity at certain times of the day (not including rush hour). You should enquire at the nearest French tourism office. Whe we were in Paris last year we avoided the bridges as we felt that it was expensive and the free ones always looked so crowded.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 06:12 AM
Brian in Atlanta

The days of having to walk across the Seine are over thanks to last year's opening of Le Chunnelette. The high-speed train travels under the Seine at over 300 MPH and a oneway trip takes about half a second. <BR> <BR>While not as cheap as walking, it's still cheaper than flying.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:02 AM
desertrat

Hey folks let's not be so hard on Andy. Where I live there are no bridges or water to speak of (desert southwest), perhaps he honestly does not know if you can walk across any of the bridges in Paris. I admit the question does lend itself to the kind of answers it got but there are a few places in this world I would not be sure about being able to walk across a bridge either.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:27 AM
Terry

Answer: Yes.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:32 AM
dan woodlief

I guess when you look at it that way, desertrat, maybe the question does make some sense. Brian, how many Gs does that train pull? Don't you think it is kind of rude to call it Le Chunnelette, since it seems to imply that it is inferior to that other larger "Chunnel?"

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:40 AM
elvira

Some bridges are for tourists only, and are easily recognizable with pictographs showing crispy pink running suits, white cross-trainers, fanny packs, washcloths and ATM cards. <BR> <BR>Using those designated "Parisians Only or any other French person but none of you loud and uncultured tourists" can result in your being held in your hotel room by an irate Iranian until you give him $30. <BR> <BR>And the Parisians don't refer to them as left and right banks anymore; they call them "this side" and "that side" and wave their hands in the general direction. <BR> <BR>Just stay on this side (much nicer than that side) and avoid any possible errors.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:40 AM
elaine

Let's assume Andy has a sense of humor, and I thought we're not supposed to call it a "Chunnel". <BR> <BR>Does anyone know if you can buy the bridge pass in the United States, or will there be a long line to buy it there? Also, are the bridges air conditioned or should I bring my own washcloth? <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:43 AM
redneck

Andy: to give you a straight answer to your question. There many bridges over the river in Paris with pedestrian walkways. I don't think Chunnelette is deragatory. Minaret isn't. <BR>But I must admit that the pervasive knowledge exhibited by some the posters is so complete as to be positively overwhelming. Such cerebral virtuosity is rarely displayed with such brio and verve.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 09:46 AM
Phil

Brian: Air France has met the challenge by the Chunnellette. They offer the quickest and most convenient service between the Seine's two banks: <BR> <BR>There is the "navette des rives" leaving CDG (terminal "rive droite") and ORY (terminal "rive gauche") every 15 Minutes from 7 a.m. to midnight (restricted service after 10 p.m. and on holidays). <BR> <BR>The plane used is a Concorde and you will be lavished by Michelin *** chefs. <BR> <BR>All this for a mere 12 francs, just walk up to any Air France counter and ask for the navette.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 10:01 AM
Bob Brown

Anybody bring a shovel?? Some of this manure is getting quite deep.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 10:09 AM
Lori

I guess you could always take the Shuttle across - does anyone know if it is reliable or not? (Sorry, I could not resist that one, the question seems to come up at least once a week). <BR> <BR>Gotta agree with Bob, where is that shovel?

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 12:59 PM
nancy

Andy, beware of the often striking Chunnelette workers and bands of gypies selling fake tickets. Buy only the purple ones and remember to always get your tickets stamped.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 01:14 PM
nokids

Yyou can walk across the bridges as long as you do not take a screaming baby with you.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 03:20 PM
dan woodlief

What if the baby screams in fluent French, and you need it to translate?Remember, I have always said that all children are different.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:22 PM
Warriner

Wow, poor Andy! Perfect example of how spoken language can sometimes be clearer than written language -- what if Andy was actually asking whether any-and-all bridges have sidewalks? <BR> <BR>Suppose he had a reservation at a pension directly across the river from a major Metro station, but on his map (he's never been to Paris, obviously) the roadway that crosses the Seine on that bridge appears to be a major highway or thoroughfare. If there are no sidewalks across that bridge, the nearest other Metro stop might be much, much further away. Hence his question. <BR> <BR>So, is Terry right? Are there sidewalks across all the bridges, regardless of how much auto traffic the bridge carries?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -