Paris - best neighborhood to stay in??

Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Paris - best neighborhood to stay in??

So we're returning to Paris after 30 years and are wondering about the best neighborhood to "park" ourselves. We were thinking about Trocadero where there are supposedly wealthy neighborhoods but someone mentioned that the rive gauche was a better location. Any opinions out there? Does it really matter - we like to walk but how far away will we be from the "action"?
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Ah, I just posted on your other thread. As I said there, I really don't think of the Trocadero as being a very "active" or fun area at all. In fact we started at the Trocadero one night this summer looking for a place to eat, and ended up walking aimlessly for miles before finally taking the metro to another area and picking a place. I mean there certainly are places, it's just nowhere near as lively as the other areas I mentioned.

My favorite area is the heart of the 6th, St. Germaine and area. The Marais (4th) would be a close second.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM

We stayed at the Victoria Palace Hotel in the 7th, on a quiet street, a block or two off the Rue de Rennes. We loved it. We took the 95 bus to the Louvre and to Montmartre. And we walked and walked. Especially enjoyed the trek down the Rue du Cherche Midi. Lots of cute shops and bakeries and, of course, St. Sulpice of DaVinci Code fame. It's really imposing -- especially at night!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM

I like a central location so suggest the 4th - 6th arrondisements.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM

"St. Sulpice of DaVinci Code fame"

That St. Sulpice is located in Paris of Hemmingway fame
...just having a little fun Virgo. I am sure that is not exactly what you meant to say.
Oct 4th, 2007, 04:25 AM
ira

Hey Rob,

You are showing your age.

Oct 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Yea, Mariel Hemingway was connected with St. Sulpice?
LOL