Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris best month for fruit and vegetables??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take my husband to paris in the spring/early summer. He is a serious foodie and loves to shop in the markets but we are old - he is in his mid 70's. We love to cook and garden so we want to cook and visit gardens but he is hesitant about leaving ours here in the USA. I thought May might be good before we set to work in our garden but hope produce etc. will please him. Too early??Any advice? We intend to rent a flat for ten days.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM
rex

My one stay in May (spanning about three weeks), was fairly near Paris, near Vernon, and it rather surprised me that cherries seemed to be full in season (local, as far as I know).

That said, I seem to recall (and have seen at various times of the year) that "farmer's markets" have abundant "in season" produce, almost year round, and they're identified to come from Spain, from Africa, from Brazil, or wherever.

I think that a cook can be in heaven in May, or virtually any other "growing" month. Just as is true in North America, with modern global tansportation, that's pretty much all twelve months.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 07:34 PM

I recall that the street markets were full of different fruits and vegetables yearround. Summer didn't seem different than winter or spring.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Hi,
Although most markets in Paris sell a variety of fruit and veg year round, there are still definite seasons for certain (French-grown) produce. It's definitely worth buying seasonal fruit and vegetables if you can.
I looked these up in my <i>Larousse du March&eacute; </i>- a wonderful book that lists all market produce in France, with recipes, seasons, varieties and loads of other info.

Cherries (cerises) - May to July

Apricots and peaches (abricots /p&ecirc;ches) - July - September, depending on the variety (look out for the red-fleshed &quot;vine&quot; peaches - p&ecirc;ches de vigne)

Asparagus (asperges) - March - June

Blueberries (myrtilles) - July-September - look out for the tiny ones rather than the bloated commercially grown ones - so tasty!

Melons - May-October

Strawberries (fraises) - May - July, also look out for the delicious, tiny, sweet Mara des bois variety, from July to November

Courgettes - April-October - look out for the round variety, and also the tiny courgettes with their flowers still attached, which are delicious stuffed and fried or served in omelettes

I'm trying to think of other fruit/veg that will be in season in spring/summer. Will post back if I think of anything!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 10:57 PM

Hi!
It seemed that veggies and fruits came from other countries all year round. I loved the figs!
The markets have wonderful tasting tomatoes and cucumbers and lambs lettuce!

There are certain seasons for some of the French cheeses too! A good book for the cheeses is the Eyewitness Handbook (DK) French Cheeses.

My hubby bought me the book several years ago for my birthday! I took it with me on our trip around France! You can check it out at the library too!

The mussels and crevettes rose' are also wonderful to cook with!

The grocery at Bon Marche ( basement ) is a cooks joy!

The most beautiful garden I visited was Chateaux Villandry but it was the first week of July! You could not buy the items but they sure were wonderful to see how they were grown there! Especially the low growing hedge of apples!

HAVE A GREAT TIME!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Based on a walk through the Aligre market in the 12th arrondissment yesterday - a georgeous, sunny, cool day - I'm inclined to speculate that fall is best for produce - not to belittle the other seasons. How the gardens may be doing in autumn is another matter. Have you put your garden to bed by mid-September?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:20 AM

hanl, what a good idea. How about peas, runner beans and broad beans ? They are in season here from about June so maybe May in France ? Also we get Italian peaches, nectarines &amp; apricots from about June so maybe they are available in France as early as May ? Purple sprouting broccoli ?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Caroline, I think you're right about peas and beans being available in France in late spring. I'll have to look up the season when I get home from work
I *love* freshly shelled new peas, especially in salad - blanched in hot salted water for thirty seconds and then plunged into iced water, then stirred into a salad of baby spinach leaves, crumbled with feta and drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil. A few mint leaves torn on top... heaven!

I agree with Dave that early autumn is also a wonderful season for the markets. Something to do with the piles of mushrooms, the blackberries, the slight chill in the air...
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM

hanl, thanks for that wonderful suggestion for a salad using peas - copying it for future use !
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 10:43 PM

I also think the fall is a great time for markets and foodies in Paris.
But in March, we went to the markets along rue Cler and there was a great variety of produce.
I just enjoy the fall season more .. cepes and truffles and game and wine..sigh~

BTW-please do not say you are &quot;old&quot; ... If you are adventurous and ready and able to go to Paris , you are just as young as I or my children

Rent a flat with a dishwasher lol..that is what ours was missing and it made a difference to me.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Nothing can beat the fresh white asparagus in early May =)

Unless you hit the 1-week seasons for:
fraise de bois (early July)
mirabelles (mid-august)
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. I am truly inspired and I think we will opt for September and the mushrooms. Our garden will be ready for winter and my husband wont fret about all the things we should be doing at home. We have spent some wonderful summers in Burgundy - wonderful markets etc. but autumn in Paris sounds just the ticket for us. Thank you all.