Paris - best area in which to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We shall be in Paris for 2 days and I would like your recommendation on the best area in which to stay - to try to get some of the atmosphere of Paris in a very short time. We enjoy walking, so would like to be within walking distance of small restaurants, shops and some of the sights. Suggestions for a hotel would also be welcome (our budget is $200 US a night).
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Probably the 6th arrondissement would best suit your requirements. That puts you close to the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay, Notre-Dame, the Ile St-Louis, and many small restaurants and shops.

When are you going? Prices go down during July/August and up in September/October, which can make a real difference in finding the right hotel.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Much of central Paris would fit your desire to be within walking distance of of small restaurants, shops and some of the sights. Since you don't seem overly familiar with the city and you have just a couple of days, I would recommend that you look on the Left Bank in the 5th, 6th or 7th arrondissements; perhaps with special emphasis on the 6th.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Hi Susan,

We recently stayed right on the border of the 6th and 7th districts in the St. Germain area. It is the left bank and as others have mentioned it is very close to the Musee D'Orsay and a nice walk to the Louvre, and Notre Dame. There are many restaurants and shopping in the St. Germain area. Another area that is not as close to major sites but really charming is the Marais district, it is on the right bank. For hotels, there is an abundance in the 6th. We stayed at the St. Thomas D'Aquin, a 2 star hotel for about $150 per night. We were very pleased with the hotel and the location can't be beat.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:54 AM
ira

Hi SM,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. About 124E dbl w/bkfst

Hotel Bonaparte
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-l95uyr

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I can ditto Ira's recommendation of the Bonaparte. It's an excellent value in that location.

However, assuming you're a first-timer and with only two days, I would recommend another hotel we stayed in a couple of years ago. The Hotel de Notre Dame is on the edge of the 5th/6th and only about 100 yds from the Seine. Right out your front door is Notre Dame, Ile de la Cite and Ile St. Louis (excellent dining choices). The Latin Qtr is right behind the hotel and you'll be within an easy walk of the Louvre, St. Germaine, Musee D'Orsay...but I doubt you'll have time to see all that. The sunset cruise boats are also right nearby.

With just two days you could easily and happily spend your time just wandering the area right around the hotel. It's in your budget range. Rooms are small, but clean well maintained. Our bath was large for Paris.

http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM

The 4th through 6th districts are great to be located. You can easily walk around the areas here and there are alot of sights and restaurants and cafes to experience. You can try staying at Hotel de Lutece on Ile St. Louis. Just ask for a large double room which should cost 164 euro excluding breakfast.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM

My wife and I stay in the 6e in our visits. I would recommend the Hotel Pas des Calais ... right off blvd. St Germaine and steps from Metro and two famous restuarants and many shops and within walking or riding metro to all sites.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:35 AM

I'm a diehard fan of the 7me. Love its combination of residential and commercial properties and the fact that it's bustling during the day but quiet at night, and close to everything.

We use two hotels there - the Hôtel Duquesne-Eiffel (3***) and the Hôtel de France (2**). Love them both.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM

We stay in the 4th arrondissement, the Marais District, on thew right bank.

It has shopping, patisseries, color, a bit like Greenwich Village. We stay at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais-great location, rooms small but stylish, 152e per night. Hotel is near the Ile St. Louis, Notre Dame, Louvre. Get a Metro map and you can cover quite a bit of ground.

I agree Musee D'Orsay a must if you are an art fan. Our favorite restaurant in the Marais is Le Pamphlet, tres francais, reasonable. It is 5 minutes from the Caron. Need reservation.

Good luck!!

Anthony

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:57 AM

..for first timers who want to see the usual sites during a very short stay- 6th near the 7th or 7th near the 6th. Ile St.Louis is also great. The 4th is a second trip IMO. There is NO best area, but I think best must be defined as to lengh of stay,budget, interests ect. I based my recommendations on the briefness of your trip, your interest in walking ect..have a good time!