Reload this Page >

paris-bayeux-mt. st. michel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:51 PM
paddy

have 2 full days out of Paris in July and want to see Normandy and Mont St. michel. <BR>Should we go to Pontorson first or take Bayeux for overnight and go to Mt. St. Michel the next day? Must take night train back to Paris on second day in order to catch 11:35 flight to London. Any suggestion would highly be appreciated.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 06:23 AM
anne

Did this trip several years ago and it was great! I can't comment on Pontorson as I don't think we went there. However, Mt. St. Michel was wonderful as an overnight stop and I enjoyed it so much more. Bayeux is beautiful, the tapestry exhibit is simply amazing. However, there's a huge walkway covered with information before you ever get to see the tapestry. Hope that helps some.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Betsy

I was in Bayeux last summer and saw the tapestry late in the day when it was not at all crowded. Here are some tips for viewing it: Before you ever get to the tapestry, which is beautifully displayed, you will have the opportunity to view a film about its history. I found this interesting, and it was nice to sink into the soft theater seats in the air-conditioned room! After that, there is an annotated mock up of the complete tapestry; I would skip this unless you are a rabid historian. Then, you walk into the room where the actual tapestry is displayed. I rented the audio wand and was very glad I did. Enjoy!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Bob

Ditto on the audio for the tapestry in Bayeux. Without it, you will not truly appreciate what you are seeing.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 04:22 PM
aimee

I went to Bayeux for the day and then to Mt. St. Michel the next - was definately glad I did. The tapestry is gorgeous and the town is charming! I haven't been to Pontorson, so I can't comment.