Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 weeks to see Switzerland & Austria-Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Marcie

We have a two week vacation to be divided between Switzerland and Austria. The only two cities we know for sure we want to see are Lucerne and Vienna. Maybe we should throw in one other city in each country (2 per country). Which would you chose? How many nights should we stay in each city/country? We are 50 years old and have never been to either country and will be traveling by train within each country and flying from Zurich to Vienna. I really need your help. Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Bonnie

Why only cities? Austria has wonderful smaller towns (and so does Switzerland). If you do stick to cities avoid dull places like Zurich and Geneva. Lots of people rightfully so love Hallstadt in Austria but it's not a city. Saltzburg is well liked by some...we've been there twice and didn't much care for it. Some like Graz. Innsbruck has some nice things for a large town. Still I prefer small towns in Austria. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Rex

I suspect that you meant to say flying INTO Zurich, and back home from Vienna - - or maybe you really meant what you said. <BR> <BR>I have never traveled by train in either country, finding a car to be so useful and easy/fun to have. <BR> <BR>If you do get a car, some suggestions: Lucerne is well worth your time, but expensive for lodging. A wonderful alternative, just across the lake (25 minutes drive "around") is Hotel Albana in Weggis. <BR> <BR>You'll read many opinions about Salzburg versus Innsbruck. I think that Salzburg is the better of the two, though I might agree that the "hype" FOR Salzburg gets overdone, and the jabs AGAINST Innsbruck are overdone. <BR> <BR>In Salzburg, I think very highly - - as does Bob Brown from here on this forum - - of zur Goldenen Ente. In Innsbruck, where I have only been for an afternoon stopover, we chose to stay one night in Hall in Tirol at Hotel Heiligkreuz. Pleasant, good value; not the most welcoming place in the world (this more from our teenage kids). <BR> <BR>Other suggestions: Vaduz (Lichtenstein), and don't forget that from Austria (Reutte), you can have the perfect overnight stopover for an early-morning visit into Germany to see Neuschwanstein. <BR> <BR>And last of all, I hear that Melk is very worthwile (west, and a bit north of Vienna). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Linda

Those are both nice cities. If you have not selected your hotel, may I suggest Hotelpension Arenberg. It is a 3-minute walk from the Air Terminal (where buses from airport arrive), 2-minutes to U-Bahn stop and 5-minutes to Stephensplatz and is within the Ring. As a Best Western property, you will get your AARP discount (since you're 50). Check it out at nethotels.com or the Best Western site. You can stay easily 4-5 days and have something every day to do. The Opera, Andre Rieu concert, Boy's Choir, horses, symphony, etc. are all interesting. There is an amusement park with a large ferris wheel, Vienna Woods for sampling local wine, walking through the main areas of town, seeing palaces and schloss, etc. <BR>I would include in Switzerland Interlaken/Grindelwald/Jungfrau region or Zermott/Matterhorn. Check out Bucherer's for nice selection of watches, clocks and very good service.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:28 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Marcie, Given 2 weeks and train travel you can see some great sites in the Alps. Start in Luzern, do not miss at least 2 nites in the Berner Oberland, <BR>then try to include Lugano for a beautiful lakeside venue. Next, get to Salzburg for sure and try to include a day trip to St. Gilgen and the Wolfgangsee by bus or train. It will be tough to include Hallstatt by train and that is a shame---the same is true of Melk. That will give you 5 great destinations in your 2 weeks, and you can add another in Austria if you want. <BR>It will be a wonderful trip--good luck.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 01:09 AM
mona

I would definitely recommend a few days in the Interlaken area. It is a very nice town with possibilities of excursions into the mountains . If money is not a problem AND the weather is fine you should take a trip up the Jungfraujoch, a train up to a gletcher with an ice palace on top. Also in this area - Grindelwald, Murren, you can cablecar up to a mountain with a revolving restaurant on top (ever seen it in James Bond?) Bring lots of money!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 04:44 AM
steve

Salzburg - be sure to do the ice caves at Werfen <BR> <BR>Zermatt <BR> <BR>Any other small town in Switzerland <BR> <BR>If you really do intend to fly between Zurich and Vienna, WHY??? Take the train

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Linda

Also, if you want to add another country, add Bratislava, Slovakia (1 hour train or bus ride from Vienna and I think it is $18 round-trip). You need not stay over half a day but they have some good prices on crystal. It was a part of the Eastern Europe block and, except for the lines at the train station with border check-in, was interesting. The US Embassy is near the main square & you can get information.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Betsy

Marcie, <BR>I agree with other posters regarding small towns. For me they are the beauty of both countries. Time-wise you obviously won't fit all of the suggestions in but these are places I love in both countries: <BR>Switzerland: <BR>Murten - near Montreaux, a wonderful medieval, walled town on Lake Murten. <BR>The Berner Oberland <BR>Alpenzell region <BR>Austria <BR>Hallstat - Gorgeous!, only about 90 minutes out of Salzburg. <BR>Salzburg, Crowded yes, but worth a at least a night. <BR>Melk Abbey, I don't know about the town, but you could easily day trip to see the abbey from Vienna.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Parag

You have chosen two most beautiful places in the world & choosing destinations within that is reaiiy tough. <BR> Scenic train journeys is the highligt of Switzerland.You can have an itinerary to include these. <BR>1.Lucern <BR>2.Zurich-Apennzel-Romanshorn-Schauffhausen(Rhine falls)-Avoid Vaduz though it can be covered in a day. <BR>3.Zurich-Locarno-Domodossola-Brig-Interlaken(covers 3 longest passes in Europe including Gothard,Simplon) <BR>4.Spiez(most romantic setting)-Interlaken cruiz(Free on rail pass)-Bern <BR>5.Interlaken & Jungfrau. <BR>6.Zeiswamein (?) Express from Interlaken to Geneva. <BR>Austria- <BR>2-Vienna & Schonbrunn. <BR>2-Salzburg including travel time. <BR>1-Salzkamargut-Lake distict DON'T MISS. <BR>1-Obersalzberg-Hitler's Eagles Nest summer retreat. <BR>1-Innsbruick <BR> The train journey is extremely pleasant & comfortable.I have some train details.Feel free to mail me for help. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Beth

Other cities I'd recommend are: <BR>Austriaalzburg,Kitzbuhel,Kufstein <BR>Switzerland:Zermatt,Chur,Stein-am-Rhine <BR>Bon Voyage!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Diane Moll

We just returned from two weeks in Austria, Inneralpbach being our main focal point with side trips to Koningsee, Germany. We have been to Vienna several times and enjoyed such a lovely city. Our favorite side trips have included Melk, Hallstatt and Salzburg. As for Switzerland, our favorite spots are Grindelwald, Thun, Lucerne and Zurich (for a big city). We usually rent an apartment for one week in each country finding it more comfortable and the prices lower than a hotel. I would be glad to share specifics if you care to email me directly. Diane Moll.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Marcie

Thanks you all for so many great responses. There is so much to decide. I wish we could do all of it!! Thanks!