Search

Paris back to Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris back to Heathrow?

Hi all,

I need to find a way to get back to London Heathrow from Paris in order to catch a flight back home.

I've considered taking the Eurostar which will take me into Waterloo with about 3 hours to spare. However, I think London Waterloo is a ways away from London Heathrow airport.

Then I considered taking a flight (BMI) from CDG to Heathrow, which would stick me in the airport so I don't have to worry about getting there. However, it only leaves me about an hour to spare, so if I might miss my flight if the plane is delayed.

Does anyone else have any opinions? At this point I think I want to take the Eurostar train, but I need to know how to get from Waterloo to Heathrow with luggage.

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:03 PM

This is a cut and paste from a previous thread -- Eurostar Chunnel -- Frequent Delays? (You might want to read the whole thread...) It made sense for me to take the Eurostar particularly because I already had a London-Paris r/t eurostar ticket. I also had a back-up plan about how to take the tube to the Paddington Express in case Eurostar came into London late. hope this helps...

The Eurostar from Paris to Waterloo to Heathrow was totally seamless. I left Paris at 10:20 am and arrived at Waterloo station at 11:59 am. At Waterloo, I jumped on the Jubliee Line North, got off at Green Park station and transferred to the Picadilly line towards Heathrow. There was an elevator at Green Park so I didn't have to lug my big rolling suitcase up any stairs. Arrived at Heathrow Terminal 3 and was in line to check-in at United (at the furthest possible end of the terminal) at 1:10 pm, giving me plenty of time to shop before my 3:25 pm flight. This was definitely a best case scenario without any delays but it was wonderful to not have to make my way to the airport in Paris -- I just hopped onto the Metro at St. Germain Des Pres (5 minute walk from my apartment) and was at the Paris Nord station less than 15 minutes later. Like others have said, only needed to be at Euorstar 30 minutes in advance, no hassles with re-checking luggage at airports, etc. Just chart out your route in advance so you know exactly what you're looking for in the Metro and in the tube -- otherwise you'll waste 5-10 minutes at each station fumbling with your map, missing immediate transfers, etc. It also helped that I saved a ticket for the metro and tube so didn't have to line up to purchase anything.

I much preferred this to flying from Paris to Heathrow and it saved me both money and time. The train ride between Paris and London was extremely pleasant and even quite scenic relative to flying. One warning: security at Heathrow took a really long time so while I checked my luggage well in advance, it took me at least another 30 minutes to get through security. Give yourself as much time as possible but from stepping off the Eurostar train in Waterloo and being in line at the United counter for check-in -- it took me 1 hr 11 minutes. (This was with everything going like clockwork -- as soon as I got to my stations, my transfer train would arrive within a minute, etc.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Robespierre
Date: 12/15/2005, 01:19 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: 111op
Date: 12/15/2005, 01:32 pm
"Give yourself as much time as possible but from stepping off the Eurostar train in Waterloo and being in line at the United counter for check-in -- it took me 1 hr 11 minutes."

That's very quick. I don't think that I can do this in 77 minutes.

I thought that I had read another thread of yours that you were going to cancel the trip? Maybe I'm confused.

Glad that it worked out for you!

As you say, it was a best case scenario, but obviously you could tolerate some slight delays and still have made it.

Date: 12/15/2005, 01:33 pm
77 minutes -- sorry: 71 minutes.

Author: fishee
Date: 12/15/2005, 11:19 pm
I did have a Plan B as well that involved the Paddington Express, as you all had suggested. So, if the train had arrived at Waterloo 40 minutes late (or more) for whatever reason, I already had a route worked out for this. I had the best trip ever, thanks again!

Providing an update for future reference searches.

The Eurostar from Paris to Waterloo to Heathrow was totally seamless. I left Paris at 10:20 am and arrived at Waterloo station at 11:59 am. At Waterloo, I jumped on the Jubliee Line North, got off at Green Park station and transferred to the Picadilly line towards Heathrow. There was an elevator at Green Park so I didn't have to lug my big rolling suitcase up any stairs. Arrived at Heathrow Terminal 3 and was in line to check-in at United (at the furthest possible end of the terminal) at 1:10 pm, giving me plenty of time to shop before my 3:25 pm flight. This was definitely a best case scenario without any delays but it was wonderful to not have to make my way to the airport in Paris -- I just hopped onto the Metro at St. Germain Des Pres (5 minute walk from my apartment) and was at the Paris Nord station less than 15 minutes later. Like others have said, only needed to be at Euorstar 30 minutes in advance, no hassles with re-checking luggage at airports, etc. Just chart out your route in advance so you know exactly what you're looking for in the Metro and in the tube -- otherwise you'll waste 5-10 minutes at each station fumbling with your map, missing immediate transfers, etc. It also helped that I saved a ticket for the metro and tube so didn't have to line up to purchase anything.

I much preferred this to flying from Paris to Heathrow and it saved me both money and time. The train ride between Paris and London was extremely pleasant and even quite scenic relative to flying. One warning: security at Heathrow took a really long time so while I checked my luggage well in advance, it took me at least another 30 minutes to get through security. Give yourself as much time as possible but from stepping off the Eurostar train in Waterloo and being in line at the United counter for check-in -- it took me 1 hr 11 minutes. thanks for the advice and tips everyone.

Author: Robespierre
Date: 12/15/2005, 01:19 pm

Date: 12/15/2005, 01:32 pm
"Give yourself as much time as possible but from stepping off the Eurostar train in Waterloo and being in line at the United counter for check-in -- it took me 1 hr 11 minutes."

That's very quick. I don't think that I can do this in 77 minutes.

I thought that I had read another thread of yours that you were going to cancel the trip? Maybe I'm confused.

Glad that it worked out for you!

As you say, it was a best case scenario, but obviously you could tolerate some slight delays and still have made it.

Date: 12/15/2005, 01:33 pm
77 minutes -- sorry: 71 minutes.

Author: fishee
Date: 12/15/2005, 11:19 pm
I did have a Plan B as well that involved the Paddington Express, as you all had suggested. So, if the train had arrived at Waterloo 40 minutes late (or more) for whatever reason, I already had a route worked out for this. I had the best trip ever, thanks again!

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM

I'm going to be in a similar situation but my flight departs LHR at 11:00.

The earliest Eurostar train gets me into London at 9 AM IIRC and I've been told not to risk it.

So yeah, I'm thinking flight which goes directly to LHR.

Some Eurostar tickets are not cheaper than the plane tickets if at all.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Is that on a Sunday, wco? I see a 6:22 weekday departure that arrives Waterloo at 7:58.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:27 PM

good thing the train ride went more smoothly than that wacked out cut/paste, sorry.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Fishee's trip is the best possible scenario... I'd have to research a plan B as well but I'm not sure what resources there are to help with that.

I wish there was an earlier train that got me back to Waterloo. I get into Waterloo at 11:47am and the plane departs LHR at 3:05pm. What do you guys think?

Is 3 hours enough?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Saturday, July 15th.

I checked last summer and you can't check Eurostar schedules more than a couple of months ahead.

So I extrapolated that around 9 AM was the earliest arrival.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Here's the timetable through April 8:

http://www.eurostar.com/dctm/timetab...0205_uk_uk.pdf
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:08 AM
ira

Hi C,

Do you already have tickets that can't be changed?

If not, how about flying into Londona and home from Paris?

The price is about the same.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM

I wouldn't try it with only three hours to play with - Eurostar trains are not always on time and there have been unexpected long delays at times, and some law says that the infrequent delays will happen when timeliness is most important to you.
A good way to get to Heathrow from Waterloo with luggage is to take a train from Waterloo to Feltham and then hop the air bus that takes about 40 mins (it goes all around the airport) to get to terminals 1, 2 and 3, from where you can take the free Heathrow Express to terminal 4. Probably a better but more expensive bet is to taxi from Waterloo to Paddington then hop the Heathrow Express that in about 20 minutes dumps you right at terminal 4 ( or terminals 1,2 or 3)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM

The quickest and most reliable way from Waterloo to Heathrow is the Bakerloo line tube to Paddington, then the Heathrow Express.

Taxis have to be queued for, and can't possibly be relied on to get through the traffic in time. Delays on Eurostar are possible: they're a virtual certainty if you mess with London's road system.

But is there something here I've missed? You're trying to get from central Paris to Heathrow. You don't want to hang round Heathrow, which appears necessary with bmi. So why aren't you using BA or AF? Surface transport through London has to be the last way most of us would ever consider for getting from Paris to LHR.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:36 AM

If the train is on time, 3h is enough. I think that you can do a connection in about 90 minutes door to door. In the past it's taken me about 75 minutes. Paddington Exp. will give you a little more cushion.

However you've luggage.

But as I mentioned I've not tried this since the terrorist attacks -- heightened security?

I think that your chances are good unless your train is delayed by more than half hour.

Check when the last checkin time and whether you can cut lines. I believe it's 45 minutes (or 40 minutes, I can't recall) for transatlantic flights out of JFK (for AA, anyway).
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:40 AM

Isn't trans-Atlantic check-in time more like two hours - I know i showed up about an hour early for one and i had lost my seat assignment - three hours from arriving in Waterloo to checking in in time is not enough and you risk losing a non-refundable ticket probably. that's my take anyway.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM

Maybe you lose your seat assignment, but AA told me that they close checkin at 40 or 45 minutes before departure.

I know this because I had less than 90 minutes on a recent flight to Paris. Probably got there about 75 minutes before departure, and there was a line.

By the way, my 75 minutes for Eurostar to LHR is probably too optimistic. Porbably 80 minutes or so is more like it. I think that 90 minutes is definitely fine. So 3h does look ok unless the train is delayed.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM

Here's how one <u>should</u> do it: Go to London the previous day.

If I have a use-it-or-lose-it air ticket, I insist on having at least two ways of getting from where I sleep to the plane.

Getting on the Piccadilly at Hyde Park Corner after a night in London is iffy enough, much less having to get across the Channel.

I think you're nuts, but good luck.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Getting from Central Paris to LHR via the Eurostar is simply NOT practical nor cost effecttive. If you had a night to spend in London that would be a WHOLE other matter. But to take a nearly 3 hour train ride (which only gets you to the middle of London) and then have to navigate the whole of west London by any sort of transport, w/ luggage no less, is nigh on nuts. Any sort of delay - a tube station closure, a nutter jumping on a tube line, traffic jams, an escalator being down, or anything, and your grand plan is shot.

Get on a plane a CDG, get off at LHR, transfer terminals if necessary, and relax or shop.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM

Practical, maybe not. But it's cost-effective if your Eurostar return is cheaper than a single. In that case, your train ride is &quot;free&quot; - and the airport transfers are a wash.

Yes, there are unknowns in traveling from Gare du Nord to LHR on land. But getting to CDG and onto a plane isn't always a completely hassle- or delay-free undertaking, either.

Three hours from Waterloo to plane isn't enough cushion. If you weren't insane going in, you might well be by the time you got your seat belt fastened.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM

calkenneth - What's your travel date? As others have said, even on Sundays there are Eurostar trains that arrive at Waterloo a lot earlier than 11:47.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM

Yes the earliest gets into London about 8:30am UK time - gaining an hour on the clock by crossing time zone. But even then i'm with Robespierre - either fly or arrive day earlier - travel snafus on ground are not all that uncommon.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM

Probably depends on how much the various options are. If Eurostar is much cheaper, maybe it's worth it to take an earlier train (but have a plan B in case train is delayed and check with airline what happens if you can't make the flight).

I've used this Eurostar trick before, but I had a lot of cushion. I did miss my London to Paris Eurostar connection but they let me take a train that was four hours later even though my ticket was completely nonrefundable. However think that I only gave myself two hours to do that connection -- which was obviously quite insane. My flight was delayed, and I got on a Paddington Express around 12:16 pm. The train was the 1:09 pm train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -