Paris ATM scam

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Jerald

Paris ATM scam

Sat. nite at an ATM on the Champs de Liese I had just placed my card in the machine when a young man bumped into me and & asked in a loud voice, "You want cash from the machine?" I answered yes & said I can handle it. He loudly said " punch in your number & push validate" I covered the keypad & punched my number & validate & he continued to talk loud which unnerved me a little & I asked him to leave me alone.He continued his game & must have pushed a button or something as an error message came up. He said "put your number in again" I didn't like the situation so I pushed the cancel button. He said ""NO NO NO DO NOT push cancel & started showing me which buttons to push & as my card came out he was trying to take it & palm my card with his rt. hand as he was pointing at the screen with his left. I caught his rt hand, grabbed my debit card & pushed him away. He disapeared into the crowd immediately. Had the money come out he probably would have gotten my card as while I protected my cash.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Chap

Sorry chap, that was me. I talk loud with people I don't know. I really thought you didn't know how to use the ATM though, you looked a bit perplexed, and I was just trying to help. No hard feelings?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Notlookingforan

I always travel solo and that is precisely why I always take travelers checks and leave the debit card at home.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:50 AM
elaine

Jerald, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and am glad you handled it. <BR>However, with reference to the last posting, whether I travel single or with someone, I still find that an ATM card is more convenient than travelers checks, and I lose less money in the fees and exchanges. <BR>I try to not to go to ATMs at night or in deserted areas, which is the same strategy I use at home.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Bill

This may sound like a silly question, but will an "American" debit card work over there? And what about travelling from country to country. What is the typical penalty for withdrawing say 1000 francs, and have it automatically convert from my US dollars account?? Any help would be appreciated, as I plan on hitting 4 or 5 countries this summer. Thanks

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Joyce

Yes, your American ATM card works all over the world. What you are charged per transaction is up to your issuing bank (institution) at home. Mine charges only $1.00, no matter how much money you take out. It is the only way to go. As has been noted many times, it gives the best exchange rate and is usable at any hour, although, as previously mentioned, it is best to use during daylight hours -- same as at home.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:10 AM
come on

Some of you people amaze me!! <BR> <BR>Yes they actually have ATM's in Europe and yes, believe it or not, those new inventions called computers actually allow you to use your ATM card all over. BTW, I've even heard about this new invention called electricity and they even have that in Europe!!!! <BR> <BR>Also, what kind of idiot would even allow a person to hang over their shoulder while withdrawing money??? Come on people where are you from?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:40 AM
rand

Last Friday night at 7pm here in sleepy little Victoria on the main banking street a young woman was watched as she used an ATM. When she put her money in her purse and left the bank the purse snatcher struck. She pulled back on her purse. The snatcher spun around and stabbed her in the chest piercing a lung. A passing man intervened and was stabbed twice in the upper arms for his troubles. Others helped pin the guy down and he now faces two counts of attenpted murder. Last I heard she was listed as 'stable'. The reason I post this is that there are crazies out there wherever you are. The safety of crowds can also mean cover for the theives.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Tony Hughes

To 'come on' - even I think you're posting was out of order. <BR> <BR>Rand - was that on Douglas?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:50 AM
come on

To Tony: <BR> <BR>Who tha fuck asked you? Keep your lame ass opinions to yourself!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:59 AM
rand

Tony. Yes Fort Street at Douglas.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Dave

In my opinion, Bill's question was elementary but reasonable, and not deserving of the derogatory response. This forum is to help people, not criticize them. I hope Bill will not be discouraged from asking more questions.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Bill

Believe me, I've never been intimidated by the "trolls" that roam message boards and think their being funny by ripping on others. My question was never if Europe has ATM's, my question was how well American Debit cards work with them (conversion rates & such). Having just recently started researching my upcoming summer trip, I really had no idea on what the best way was to carry my funds. Now I know, and I thank everyone that really cared.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Pat

Re: trolls--they're negative energy monsters. Don't feed them and they go away. <BR> <BR>Bill, I was wondering that myself. I was charged us$5.00 an ATM visit while in Nova Scotia last year. I'm not sure if the Canadian banks got the money or my bank, but the fees seemed really high. It's worth trying to find out. <BR> <BR>Elaine, how much extra were you charged for using your ATM in France?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Barbara

I was in Paris last year and used several different ATMs. None of the transactions were charged a service fee and the rate I got was better than what I expected. I had already decided that no matter what the costs would be, it was safer to use my credit card and get money every few days than carry large amounts of cash around. The credit card exchange rate was also very good.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Donna

Our debit cards have worked just fine. HOWEVER, your best bet is to carry it in a security pouch, under your clothing. Better yet, have your bank issue an ATM-only card for cash withdrawals. Keep in mind that a stolen debit card can be used without your PIN for purchases and your cash could be wiped out in short order. Your rights are not the same with a debit card as with a credit card. While you would likely be reimbursed by your bank, this could take a while (my bank says as long as 60-90 days, while they conclude an "investigation"). Actually, a backup card is a good idea anyway.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Sky

I too was curious if there were any hidden costs regarding ATM/Mac card use overseas. A friend from the Netherlands swears by ATM use for the benefit of saving in exchange fees and whatnot. <BR> <BR>My bank's international office tell me that whether used in the USA or outside, they charge 1.50 for an ATM machine that is not under there name. An additional 2.00 fee is charged from non-Cirrus machins. This may be different for your bank. <BR> <BR>If you use your Mac card a credit card, make a point-of-sale purchace with it, or make a cash machine transaction, it can take as long as 2 weeks to show against your account. Again, that varies with your bank, and how/where you made the transaction. <BR> <BR>In the case of France, the current value of the Franc to Dollar is 6.91 to 1.00. My bank suggested using a 6 to 1 ratio to figure costs as a basic guideline in case of value fluctuations. <BR> <BR>To find out where Cirrus banking machines are located, call 1-800-424-7787. It can give you a summary of locations according to address/area code. <BR> <BR>Just be sure you keep track of all your receipts/payments/withdrawals or you will have a nasty suprise! <BR> <BR>Happy roads, <BR>Sky

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:16 PM
clairobscur

<BR>I do agree that asking if ATMs can be used in a foreign country is a legitimate question. <BR> <BR> I've been amazed myself when I discovered that I could use my debit card in a foreign country(I had to have my traveller's dissapeared while in Portugal to figure this out).

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Robin

I heard a very funny bit on the radio about a recent anti-globalization "convention" in Brazil (sorry-- I don't recall the group). Anyway, the reporter had observed a young delegate cussing out the ATM machine because, in Brazil, it failed to accept her Dutch card! Apparently some forms of globalization are essential and mandatory!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Robin

Oops-- I did have something to say about Jerald's experience. While I have used my ATM everywhere, and am convinced it's the best way to get cash around the world, it does stand to reason that it's a perfect "scam" opportunity. It appears that his predator was counting on his uncertainty in how to operate a "foreign" ATM, and hoped to catch him off guard. The usual defensive moves are absolutely necessary, but don't be intimidated by potential thieves. <BR> <BR>And DON'T be intimidated by jerks on this forum either!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -