Paris as Home Base for 3 Months

Mar 11th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Paris as Home Base for 3 Months

I am just starting to budget for a 3-month vacation to Europe that will occur in 2010. I would love to make Paris my home base. Any suggestions for 3-month vacation rentals? What is the best arrondisement to reside in for that long? Are there any websites that cater to long-term vacationers in Paris besides Paris Notes?
Mar 11th, 2007, 11:46 PM

The SlowTalk.com board (and the accompanying SlowTrav.com site) are very good for helping with long stays in Paris.

I think it will be hard for anyone to suggest anything for 2010 - neighborhoods could shift a lot in character by then.
Mar 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM

Just based on our experiences with longer rentals: Some of the apartment renters will give you very much cheaper rates for such a long term. You could email your enquiry to companies recommended in the reputable guidebooks and of course sites like SlowTrav. They are usually delighted to have such a long term rental. If you were prepared to do your own cleaning you may be able to negotiate even lower.
If you want to be out at night, you might be best staying in more central Paris - the 4, 5 or 6th say - than taking late night metros to outlying arrondisements, which are however cheaper.
Also, look for apartments that are quieter - not on main roads or with huge echoing courtyards where the noise from every other apartment is magnified into yours.
Sounds like a wonderful trip!
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM
ira

Hi B,

>I am just starting to budget for a 3-month vacation to Europe that will occur in 2010.<

And I thought that I was an early planner!

What months will you be there?

What's your budget?

Mar 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

ira,
I am planning for a February, March, April stay. Now that I'm looking at the websites I may have to revise my budget a bit. I was hoping to keep it under $15,000 including Paris rental and living expenses, travel and limited lodging in at least 4 other cities in Italy, Spain and France. Some of my lodging expense will be offset by friends and family staying with me in Paris during the trip. But I might have to rethink my length of time and cut it back to 8 weeks instead of 12. Well, at least I now have a starting point to begin planning the budget and how to come up with it! It will be my first time vacationing in Paris for longer than 2 weeks. Any further advice?