Paris art this fall: what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to figure out all what to see in Paris this fall? I'm working on our list online at http://cityartinsider.com/art-events-paris-fal/

For starters:

We will see Edward Hopper’s classical paintings, and learn why he kept such a classic line at the time when avant-gardists were popular, at the Grand Palais (Edward Hopper, October 10 – Jan. 28).

We’ll give Salvador Dali another look in all his madness and genius at the Centre Georges Pompidou (Salvador Dali Retrospective, November 21 to March 25).

Also at the Grand Palais, we’ll explore the popular myth of the bohemian over the centuries, with works from Georges de La Tour to Van Gogh (Bohemia, September 26 to January 14).

We’re particularly looking forward to a courageous new exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art exhibition that takes a look at art produced in France during the German occupation (Art War, 1938-1947 France, October 12 to February 17).

Lots more to come, including eventually, what's on in the galleries. It's a busy autumn!
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM

New gallery at the Louvre displaying the art of Islam

fashion history by the Imprssionists at the D'orsay

Canaletto and guardi. the masters of Venice at the JacqueMart Andre

more

Canalettos at Musee Maillol

Mary Cassett AT the Mona Bismarck American Center for Art and Culture on Ave New yORK IN THE 16TH
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The only thing that I am anxiously awaiting at the moment is the Nuit Blanche.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Don't mean to hijack your thread, Carolyn, but do you, or other Fodorites, know where we might find the best of glass art in Paris this fall? My wife is a glass artist -- kiln formed, not blown, and we would like very much to see where innovative French artists working in this medium are going.

We looked last year, and found two galleries in Amsterdam, and one outstanding artist in Italy, http://www.mostlyglass.com/Artists/D...ble_jan_05.htm But we found nothing in Paris.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Wow, so many choices. I would love to see the Hoppers. The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston had an excellent Hopper show a few years back. His works are so accessible.

Also two of his favorite sites were in MA – Gloucester seaport up the road from here and Truro on Cape Cod.

Would also love to see those Dalis.

Carolyn_Smith, please report back to us about these venues. Enjoy…
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
This exhibit on art and movement looks intriguing:

http://www.elephantpaname.com/en/pro...ng/ep-de-l-air

In a new exhibition space called Elephant Paname dedicated to art and dance, in a townhouse near Opera.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:58 AM

That Bohemian thing is very interesting, also the Palais de Tokyo show on occupation era art. And of course, in November it will be Paris Photo! Hurrah!
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Menachem, what is Paris Photo?
Thanks,
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM

oh for heaven's sake, the OP is marketing director of that website, she is violating Fodors TOS and trying to push their website, that's all.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM

http://www.parisphoto.fr/?lg=en

I'm there usually for the photofest portfolio review: lots of great shows, all kinds of programs in galleries, jeu de paume all revved up, MEP as well. Great stuff if you're into photography: it is the leading photo manifestation worldwide.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Nuit Blanche got rained out, a bit of a disappointment. My friend got to the Islamic art exhibit and judging by her FB photos it was incredible. As per Menachem, ParisPhoto has lots of ancillary openings and PhotoOFF (http://www.photooff.com/) starts Nov 15 too. It's quite incredible.

Also LOVED Palais de Tokyo and Fabrice Hyber, which was fun with kids who have such a different perspective on conceptual art. Where I'm likely to be a bit skeptical, they embrace it (or not) quite wholeheartedly!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Nukesafe, sorry I missed your post, and I can see you already had your trip to Paris. I'd be happy to suggest places to find glass art the next time you come -- I'll start keeping a list.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:55 AM

The new Aboriginal exhibit at the Branly Museum is fantastic...over 100 paintings, many of them masterpieces. The Guimet has a beautiful exhibit on Tea, as well as three floors of magnificent Asian art.
I also enjoyed the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art (next to Palais de Tokyo) and they are opening what looks to be a very interesting show tomorrow on art and artists during WWII. Don't miss the Van Goghs and Hiroshiges at the Pinqcothéque. The Hopper show is sold out until next week.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Carolyn,

I just missed your post, but we are still in Paris. We have trudged from gallery to gallery all over own, and the consensus is that there is no glass art on display in Paris. We did find a gallery showing pieces by Yves Trucci, and another Gallery that had large kiln formed pieces, but that was never open at he posted hour. Most people said there were a very few artists working in kiln formed art pieces, or even blown glass art, except in the south of France. Certainly we could discover none ourselves.

My wife did, however, drop onto the Drouot auction house, and noticed a very large piece of modern art glass that was siting, incongruously, in an auction of antiquities. To my horror, she nodded at the auctioneer, and the thing was ours. Have you ever seen how much fuss it is to FedEx something fragile, weighing over 30 kilos, to the States? Never mind the mind boggling expense!

If you want to see examples of the kind of work that my wife does, and the kind or glass artist she would like to talk to, you could look at her web site, particularly the Glass Fabric, and Dimensional Landscape sections. http://www.lumenaeries.com/Lumenaeries.com/Welcome.html