Reload this Page >

Paris Arrondissements

Search

Paris Arrondissements

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 03:57 AM
Debbie

Paris Arrondissements

HELP - I have a dad who is making me crazy!! <BR> <BR>My husband and I are going for our first trip to Paris and have decided to stay in the 5th or 6th near the Gardens. We don't want to stay in the center of the toursit attractions, we prefer to be in a more laid back area. We figure when we want to go see the Champs de Elysee and the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower etc we can go. The 5th and 6th sounds just like the kind of neighborhood we are looking to stay in. <BR> <BR>My dad is telling me that we "have" to stay in the 8th. We are making a big mistake not too. That it is too difficult, long etc to get into the 8th from the 6th. <BR> <BR>How long is the trip from the 6th to the 8th (approx) by train, bus, taxi etc? Is it walkable at all? <BR> <BR>I was very sure of what I wanted, now I am confused - please help!! <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Debbie

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 05:25 AM
John

Debbie, nothing in Paris is really that far and the Metro is excellent. However, I would not and have never heard anyone else describe the 5th & 6th as "laid back" areas. It is tourist central. The 7th is much more laid back and may be a compromise to the 5th/6th and 8th. I think the distance from the Arche di Triomphe, down the Champs de Elysee to the Louvre is 2 miles

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 05:33 AM
e

I stayed in the 7th & loved it. 5&6 <BR>are lively but I think the area near the <BR>gardens (Lux?)would be great. it really depends on the street. Metro travel is so great, it mkes where you stay less important.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Heather

hi debbie, <BR>I have been to Paris several times, last time being 12/11/99 and I refuse to stay anywhere but the 5TH or 6Th. The only thing I can compare it to is Harvard Square in Boston. Walking fromt he 5th to the 8th is not something i would do..it is way too far but accessible by train. i am visiting again on 10/26/00 and guess where i am staying?

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:34 AM
debbie

Have a wonderful trip on the 26th - where are you staying?

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 07:26 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Debbie. I am curious about your father's dictum that you must stay in the 8th Arr. I am not sure I understand any rationale for that move unless it is related to issues that do not deal with a visit to Paris per se. <BR> <BR>I have stayed in the 7th, the 6th and on the edge of the 14th, just off Boulevard Montparnasse. Anywhere you stay has advantages and disadvantages. Given that the Paris Metro and bus systems are quite comprehensive, no place in the city is very far away time wise. <BR>If you consider the 6th Arr as a whole, it is as busy as any other district. <BR>I personally like the 14th just south of Montparnasse on Boulevard Raspail as a hotel location. <BR>The Luxembourg Gardens are just a short walk away and Boulevard Montparnasse is alive at night. Two metro lines have entrances very near the junction of Boulevard Montparnasse and Raspail. <BR>Also several bus lines are within easy reach. Another hotel, the Muguet, gets a good review on this forum. It is in the 7th, but located between the Eifel Tower and the Musee d'Orsay very close to the Rodin Museum and Hotel Invalides. <BR>If you pick a hotel that is close to a major attraction, it will not be close to some other prime attraction. So I base my selection on how well I think I will like the hotel. Nothing in Paris is far from a Metro stop or a bus line. <BR>I would not consider either the 5th or the 6th to be "laid back", what ever that is. The 7th on the east side of Champ du Mars is perhaps more residential, unless you want to get out into the 15th or 16th areas. <BR> <BR>I measured the distance from the Arc of Triumph to the edge of Louvre. It is 3 kilometers, just about 2 miles as stated in a previous post. <BR> <BR>In that aspect of reading posts on this forum, there are some very knowledgeable people who contribute. I personally have gotten good advice and I have had the opportunity to check it out. <BR>So I think what you read here can be taken as well informed opinion. <BR> <BR>Also I am curious. How is it that your father has so much control in this matter? Aren't you an adult capable of making your own decisions? <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 07:34 AM
debbie

As to control - I am very much capable of making my own decisions, but I am also open minded when given information from others who have been to a place that I have not. <BR> <BR>But I do know that what he likes and looks for in a hotel/area are very different than what I do and that is why I am asking for other opinions. <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the great info that has been given here. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Bob Brown

Given that Paris is full of good, small hotels, there are many many choices mentioned by people who contribute to this forum. So it is not unusual to get as many different hotel recommendations as there contributors. You will note that I suggested none, not even the ones I have stayed in. But you are on the right track. My next suggestion is to take a look at a good Paris hotel guide and refine your list. Depending on the time of year you expect to be in Paris, you might have difficulty finding a vacancy if you wait until two or three days before departure. <BR>I like this web site for a long list of Paris hotels: <BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/75paccue.htm <BR>It lists so many that you may have to spend quite a bit of time studying it. <BR>If you want to know where I have stayed while in Paris, email me.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Love2trvl

Hi Debbie: <BR>I am also a fan of the 14th arrondissement. People will say that its hey-day has passed but I love it just the same. The Metro and bus lines run everywhere you need to go. I am going to let you know the hotel I like...Aramis Ste Germain on Rue du Rennes...It is part of the Best Western chain though not a thing like US Best Westerns. It is very French, quaint, clean and quiet. The Metro stops across the street and many bus lines run right in front..whatever you decide have fun!! (I am sure that your Father is just looking out for you and wants you to have a safe trip!!)

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Lori

Debbie, <BR>I think you just have to make your own decision based on what you like in a hotel. Personally I think the 8th Arr. is too busy and too full of tourists, also many of the hotels are pricier (not necessarily better, but more costly!). No matter where you stay you will still have to take the Metro/walk/bus to some of the sights, and Paris is a relatively small city area wise so nothing take long. We've literally walked from one end of the city to another. We like the 7th Arr. as it is primarily residental but you are still close to the "center" of thins so to speak. Another very nice laid back, residental area is the Passy district (16th Arr). Most hotels are quite close to Metro stops so you never have to worry much about that we've found.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:57 AM
john

Would recommend the 7th on or near Rue Cler. Very handy and reasonable.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Janice

I love the 5th - up the hill around the Pantheon, or if you're feeling splashy, somewhere on the Ile St. Louis. Ultimately to me the quality of the hotel mattered a lot more than the location - Paris is so easy to get around, and depending on your age/health, walking to most things is a viable option. Enjoy!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Paul

I very strong seond for the 7th especially the area around r. Cler. There are a number of ** and *** hotels here. Our favorite (5 stays so far and one more coming up next month) is the du Cadran on the r. Champs du Mars. This is a neighborhood, you are near the r. Cler market and has been pointed out so often the metro is wonderful. You can easily walk from the r. Cler to the Tour Eiffel, the Seine and Invalides as well as other sites. Good luck and have a great trip. <BR> <BR>P.S. Lots of nice restaurants in the area but this does not distinguish it from most of Paris. <BR> <BR>Paul