Reload this Page >

Crash course on 7 days in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Europe Newbie

My DH is in England on business and wants me to fly over to meet him for a weeks trip to Italy in about 3 to 4 weeks. Have no clue how to throw together something we can handle in a short amount of time. Should we just go to one city? ie. Rome or try to see Venice or what? We had a very tough time in Paris this summer and concerned about managing the language barrior again so wonder if Tours would be the way to go if we could get something on short notice. Thanks for any help given.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Ed

First, skip the tour. At least that would be my advice. These, by far, are rarely the best or most enjoyable way to see a country or city. <BR>( See www.twenj.com/pkgtours.htm ) <BR> <BR>As long as you stick to the major cities and mostly to tourist areas language won't likely be a problem in Rome ... more an opportunity. <BR>( www.twenj.com/tipslanguage.htm ) <BR> <BR>With only 7 days I'd spend most of a first trip in Rome. One can take a 'crash course' on visiting Rome in 4 (full) cays, but the city really requires a week or two to fully appreciate, and many spend a month or more. <BR> <BR>If you'd like a little variety, spend a day in Florence which is only two hours away by fast train. Florence deserves more time, certainly, but on a short trip and with so much available in Rome, why lose so much of your valuable time checking in and out of hotels. With the frequent train schedules you can get in a very full day and at least skim the city's major attractions. Time for more later. <BR> <BR>You'll find an excellent introduction to visiting Rome beginning at www.twenj.com/romevisit.htm

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Mike

Europe Newbie. With only seven days I would pic a region and for this time of year I would do Rome and the Tuscany Valley. I would spend 2 to 3 days in Rome and then train it to Florence and while in Florence go to Siena, Sam Gimignano and Pisa (all possible in the seven days). From Florence you can train it to Pisa and Siena. From Siena a bus can take you to San Gimignano. Language will not be a problem in these cities, English is widely spoken. For train service from Rome to Florence I would do the Eurostar (2nd class), it will take you about 3 to 4 hours and the sites are beautiful.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:31 PM
gb

Have you seen England, Ireland or Scotland? Since you were a little stress by the language barriers, you might enjoy the UK. We drove around the UK several years ago for two weeks, and still only visited England and Wales.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 01:16 PM
lisa

Dear Europe Newbie -- Italy is absolutely delightful. Fly to Rome for 4 days and then take the train to Venice for 3. You'll be glad you did.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Karen

My favourite way to travel in Europe is to rent a house for a week in one location, and then do day trips. This past summer we spent one fabulous week in Tuscany, renting a beautiful old house; this also allowed day trips to various hill towns (by car), Florence (by car) and Rome (by train). We speak no Italian, but got along fine with the local's English and an Italian phrase book. There are tons of house rentals available over the internet. It's definitely the way to go!