Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 25th anniversary..,looking for charming,4 star,great location hotel NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE star hotels in Rome...25th anniversary

25th anniversary..,looking for charming,4 star,great location hotel NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE star hotels in Rome...25th anniversary

Oct 6th, 2000, 11:32 AM
margo

25th anniversary..,looking for charming,4 star,great location hotel NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE star hotels in Rome...25th anniversary

Would appreciate any advice? Is it better to be in Spanish Step area,or via veneto area or villa borghese,or campo de fiori? This is first trip to Rome. Want hotel to be 4 star and charming but not too exspensive.Ever hear of Condotti 29 Palio suite? Would appreciate any help. thanks

Oct 6th, 2000, 01:48 PM
donna

Why not the La Residenza--Its 4 star, small, recommended, and rather reasonable, relatively speaking. About $150 for a double room.

Oct 6th, 2000, 01:53 PM
kk

What area is La Residenza in? I also would like to know the pluses/minuses of stasying in the areas Margo asks about--Spanish Steps, Villa Borghese, Camp de Fiori. My last trip (15 years ago--ouch) we were around the corner from the Via Veneto, not too far from the S Steps or V Borghese. But definitely an urban spot.

Oct 6th, 2000, 02:00 PM
xx

Go to Ed and Julies website

twenj.com

Gives lots of hotel info.

Oct 6th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Ed

Here's a few suggestions:
Hotel la Residenza
Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza Minerva
Marriott Flora
Santa Chiara

Flora and la Residenza in the via Veneto area, our favorite. Convenient transport, restaurants, walk to many areas/sights.

Others are in the area of the Pantheon, an excellent location as well for many sites and many restaurants.

Campo de' Fiori also a good area, though no properties in the 4-star category come to mind ... mostly, by far, more bargain territory, though good bargains.

La Residenza probably the best buy of the lot ... you can get a junior suite there for the run of the hotel rate at the Santa Chiara. Flora and Minerva higher yet. However, if you have frequent flyer points or run across a special with either Holiday Inn or Marriott these properties can be real bargains.

We're quite partial the la Residenza so would choose that, but our close second choice would be the Minerva if it fit the budget.

Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Oct 6th, 2000, 02:25 PM
gina

Margo, I have stayed in the Spanish step area and this past summer I made the mistake of staying in the Campo dei Fiori area. I much prefer the Spanish Steps--much cleaner, classier, more charming and close to metro stops. The Campo dei Fiori is dirty, full of grafitti, and very loud at night making it tough to sleep. Your absolute # 1 priority if you are going in the summer is airconditioning so you don't have to leave your window open at night which doesn't work very well anyway. Congrats on your anniversary.

Oct 6th, 2000, 06:10 PM
margo

thank you so much for replys.....

ok so I figured that spanish step and via veneto are best areas. I am willing to spend up to $200.oo per night. Any further suggestions for those areas? Want charm!

Search this Thread