Paris apt. 100% rent for security deposit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonjour- I'm just practicing my French. So I'm considering the following apartment rental from Sept. 26th-October 3rd. http://www.paristay.com/paris-apartm...is-louvre.html

So upfront, I have to pay the agency fees of 200 Euro and then I have to pay a security deposit to the owner in the amount of 600 Euro, which is the weekly rental rate. Neither is refundable in the event that I cancel. This is my first time with overseas apartment retnal; is this acceptable? I don't necessarily have an issue with the non-refundable, but I think the deposit is a bit high. If it's standard, let me know and I'll book!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM

€600 is very typical. In fact, it's what we've paid (though owner waives for repeat guests).

Typically, the agency fee (if there is one), an initial deposit (often 50% or more of total rent) and a significant security deposit are required upon confirmation of booking.

But, the cancellation policies vary tremendously, usually on a sliding scale depending on cancellation date, and cancellation is required one, two, or three months ahead of cancellation for an sort of refund.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
ira

Hi S,

Apartment owners take a chance on you not showing up and losing the whole week's booking. That's why you are paying a sizeable non-refundable deposit.

Look for trip insurance that will cover your loss if you can't go.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I'm not really worried about not going. I just want to make sure it's not a scam because it's the equivalent of $1k with the fee and everything.

But if 100% of the rent as a security deposit is acceptable, then I am fine with it.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM

You keep referring to it as "rent for security deposit". A deposit toward the rent and a security deposit are two different things (usually). The security deposit should be for potential damage and totally refundable.

Still, it is common for 100% of the rent to be due prior to arrival. Sometimes the security deposit (if there is one) is collected in advance, sometimes on arrival. It's essential to find out if anything additional is due on arrival, particularly if they expect cash.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

then they tack on an additional 60 euro for the cleaning. I haven't seen that in other rental company listings.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM

It is also not uncommon to charge up to €100 or so cleaning charge. Though, that website says it's optional if you leave the place exactly the way you found it.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM

I went through an agency, paid them up front, then sent a deposit of a week's rent to the owner and paid for two more weeks up front when we arrived (the original agreement was that I would get a week's worth - the deposit - back when I left two weeks later, but we stayed an additional week instead and it all worked out fine).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I've rented through Paris Stay. The company is legit. And, yes I paid a security deposit equal to the months rent that was non-refundable, but I was renting month to month and those terms are pretty standard for monthly rentals. I know that for weekly rentals through some agencies the security deposit can be less - around 200-300 euros.

Perhaps, Paris Stay could negotiate less of a security deposit with the owners of the apt. However, if the apt. is in high demand the owners may say "take it or leave it". As an owner of rental property, you would be amazed at the amount of damage some tenants can do to an apartment in a week. If the apt. is very nice, I'd want a hefty deposit.

My owner offered to take the security deposit in Euro denominated travelers checks so that I didn't need to carry thousands of euros in cash with me. I did have to pay the first months rent in cash. She did not cash the travelers checks. Just handed the checks back to me when I vacated the apt.

I also think a cleaning fee of around 40-60 euros depending on the size of the apt. is standard and usually listed as an add-on fee. But, tax is included in the rate which is a good thing.

If you're afraid that you may have to cancel, I second buying travel insurance. - C
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Looks like a nice place to me, and the price seems right. I flinched when I saw it had no air conditioning, but then I saw that you will be there at the end of September, so you should be all right without it.

At least I hope you will be all right. We will arrive on 1 October, and our apartment will not have air, either.

Our arrangement was not through an agency, per se, but direct with the owner, so there was no fee to the agency. We paid 50% of the rent up front, with the option of canceling with two months notice; the rest due one month before arrival. We need to also give the owner a refundable €500 damage deposit when we move in.

Have a lovely stay -- perhaps we will pass like ships in the night.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My problem is not w/ the terms. pretty standard - for a lot of agencies.

My problem would be w/ the apartment itself. it is 310 sq ft. Great for a studio - but teensy for a 1 bedroom. Take a look at the "living room" - it includes a couch that looks to be about 4-5 feet from the kitchen counter/oven/sink/TV. That is the full extent of the living room. The bedroom looks decent sized and the bath looks fine. But that living room looks dreadfully small and the only place to eat is on a TV tray??
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM

She's only there for about a week and on a budget, so this seems like a fair size. It's more the low ceiling in the bedroom and the terms that got me.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM

&quot;<i>She's only there for about a week and on a budget, so this seems like a fair size.</i>&quot;

There are lots of apartments all over central Paris for that sort of price where there is a real living room.

Don't get me wrong - it is modern and has closets and a decent bath so it certainly isn't terrible. And the location is nice. Just me personally - that kitchen/living room would give me cabin fever.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM

I just meant that she probably won't be in the apartment that much if she's only going to be there for a week.

The apartment I'm renting for a month is only slightly bigger... 385 sq. ft. (granted it has balconies), but I sort of like cozy apartments. To each their own, I guess.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM

I've stayed in really small apartments too - but they've had more comfortable floor plans/decor.

But if savannah is happy w/ the price and set up - then the location IS wonderful
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Ok kiddies- I am totally open to suggestions. Here are our my requirements. I would like it to be in the 1st 4th 5th or 6th. There needs to be a sofa, not a comforter covered futon (where people cooties have been breeding!)

Size isn't a factor for me. I've lived in 1br for the last 10 years, don't anticipate throwing any parties so there is going to be maybe me and maybe 1 or 2 others there.Plus, it's my first week in Paris so I don't think I'll be hanging out there all that much anyways! I basically am just looking for a semi cute streamlined apartment that has been recently updated. Maybe has a bit of charm to boot. All and all, I would like the apt to be less than 800 euros everything included. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them here or email me!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Savannah -

Looked at your link. I think you could do alot worse. The location is central to all the tourist spots and the apt. looks like its in great condition. Its your first trip to Paris - you'll only be in the apartment to sleep and shower.

I'm curious what other apartments members on the forum will dig up for you in your price range.

Have a great trip - C
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Just to give you a few examples of larger places w/i your budget and in the areas you prefer. (vrbo would have a lot more)

http://www.homelidays.com/paris-05-s...at92001en1.htm

http://www.homelidays.com/paris-04/a...at26137en1.htm

http://www.homelidays.com/paris-05-n...lat6403en1.htm

http://www.homelidays.com/paris-05-n...lat6403en1.htm

http://www.homelidays.com/paris-04/a...at66716en1.htm
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj, I like your suggestions and would like to look more on the website, but I don't think it's possible to search per neighborhood so it's a bit time consuming. I've found a few that like though!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:08 AM

yeah - I found that a problem too the first time I used the site.

But what I do is plug in a price range which cuts the number of listings to scan, and then just scroll down. The short thumbnail gives enough info to know if it is worth opening the link. There is the arrondissement, a small photo, etc.

It is still a bit clunky but you can skim through about 10 pages of listings in just a few minutes. To me the slight hassle is offset by the generally lower rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -