paris apartment rental help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vacation rental in Paris just fell through. Now I have to look for another one and not much time left. Need it for 3 nights starting 3/27/06 for 2 Adults and 2 kids (4/5yr old). Folks here have helped me a lot to finalize my plans...now this.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:15 PM

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

I'd be interested in how the rental fell through - sounds somewhat disheartening!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Take a look at http://www.paris-vacation-rental.com/neighbor2.html The owner lives in the US and was easy and pleasant to work with. I think the place would work well for you, your wife and 4 and 5 year old (as you mentioned on on other posts.)
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM

why don't you try craigslist? there's qutie a few last minute specials that get offered there daily, as well as on vrbo.com
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Try www.VacationInParis.com

Look at the website and then call them. They are a U.S. company and have lots of apartments all over Paris. We had a very good experience with them. Good luck!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Try these people. They are extremely honest and reliable and have beautiful apartments in central Paris:

http://www.guestapartment.fr/

And try here.

http://viatraveldesign.com/ENJOY/des...11/property/1/

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping for around 120Euro a night. I have a car and will be paying around 35Euro per night for its parking as well.
The rental fell through because in the contract they said they have placed some Cds to hear lullabys at night to compensate for the unwarranted noise you get from the street. I got concerned and told the owners that if we could not sleep well at night my whole trip would be ruined. The owners were kind enough to let me out of the contract and give my deposit back.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Neopolitan

Please tell me you're kidding. So how do you go about finding a last minute place that will guarantee there is no street noise? Or did you have some reason to believe that apartment was on a major highway?

I have yet to find a single hotel or apartment in Paris where noisy early morning deliveries, trash pickup in the middle of the night, or loud people talking in a street or in one of those vertical courtyards wasn't somewhat of a problem. How nice that they were offering the CDs.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM

..why a car? Can't you get rid of it or find a spot near the airport with ltp which is cheaper? With your budget suggest the VRBO as you need at least a 1 br and maybe 2 (a lot of places have a hide abed in the lr which sleeps 2 but your kids would have to be willing to share a bed. It would really be great if the $$ for parking could be added to your rent.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Noisy early morning is one part but to hear lullaby the whole night is another. I checked this forum and another person had the same issue with that particular apartment but unfortunately they did not know before.
I have not been able to find anything cheaper for parking. I am thinking maybe I should find an apartment little outside Paris and commute by train.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM

A flat in the building in which we stayed (same owner) has availablity. It's a bit above your price range, but maybe they would make a deal since it is coming up so soon. The owner is Canadian, making communications with English speakers easy. Here's a link: http://www.parisholidayapts.com/apar...victoires.html

The building was quiet and the location was fairly convenient.

Good luck!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Here's a place with a garage in La Defense

http://www.all-paris-apartments.com/...uctId_472.php#
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Several of these places list themselves as having a garage:

http://www.perfectplaces.com/pp_find.cfm

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM

What you need to do with that link is go to the search section, and in the Quick Search box type: "paris garage"
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Good luck. That owner sounded very nice, I don't think I would let someone cancel a rental with only short notice for that reason myself. They ought to get a white noise radio thing rather than lullabies, however, it would be nicer (some can be adjusted for rainforest, ocean, etc.).

I know a few places I've used that have some last minute specials, but they won't rent for only 3 days.

I'm sure you could probably find a place in one of the Citadines aparthotel and they might have some parking (or arrange it), but I don't think they would have anything for four people for such a low price. You could check, though, at least they have a lot of inventory and a price range of buildings.

My one tip is that in public parking garages in Paris, the fees are more likely 20-25 euro per day (even for short term users, not those with contracts). 35 euro a day is really high, I've never seen one that bad. Here is a website that lists all Paris public parking garages and you can search by postal code or metro station, it's very useful:

http://www.infoparking.com/parking/public/

Some of the info for results do not list tarifs, but it is on the results page for those that do. For example, if you searched near Montparnasse Bienvenue metro, the results for Oceanie Montparnasse garage show a fee of 25 euro a day.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina. I agree the owners are indeed nice and honest. There was not much I could have done if I would have found that out during my travel.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for your help.
I found a studio very close to St Michael that will accomodate all 4 of us. It faces a courtyard so hopefully no street noise. Let me know what you guys think but I really dont have too much choice at such short notice.
Update on my previous apartment - looks like that guys is reading my posts here and has started acting weird...Boy! am I glad I am not dealing with him anymore.