Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Anyone Know What is Going on the First Week in October

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious if anyone can identify if it is one single event occuring in Paris the first week in October that is causing hotel rates for that week to spike? I was doing some research yesterday for a family-member who will be there at that time and noticed that the week was blocked out by many hotels as having decidedly higher rates, and that there was not a lot of availability.

I know that fashion week is around that time, but didn't know if it is indeed the first week of the month. Also, there is a horse race and a computer game convention, but those two don't seem that they alone could cause across the board changes.

Thanks so much to anyone who can clear this up - I'll feel better in assuring her that she just picked a bad week if I can give her a specific reason for the increased cost. I absolutely love Paris and would hate for someone to go with an existing sour taste based on price.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
cbleigh

I was in Paris the first week in October last year. While it doesn't last the whole week, it may be having an impact on hotels...Nuit Blanche. It occurs on October 1st. Here is a description:
"The French tradition of eschewing sleep in favour of discussion or partying is known as a nuit blanche, or white night. For one long October night in Paris, insomnia is considered a virtue...
Throughout the White Night museums, libraries, monuments, places of worship, tourist sites, cinemas, parks and gardens, hospitals, swimming pools and universities in Paris stay open all night to the public for a cultural night of discovery. At dawn, each district's city hall, local associations and shopkeepers organise breakfasts for those who lasted through the night."

If you can be there for it, it was well worth it. We didn't even leave the neighbourhood we were staying in (the Marais) and still found loads to see and do. We saw an amazing laser light show in an old church, we danced to a drum band beside the Stravinsky Fountain, and saw free art shows by local artists. All the museums were open and free. The streets were filled with people, laughing, singing. Truly a memorable experience.

We didn't have any trouble booking a hotel room for the first 10 days in October, and I didn't do it until May of last year even though I had been warned about it being Fashion Month. Perhaps Nuit Blanche is starting to be noticed by travelers as well as locals and they are snapping up the hotels.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:41 AM
tod

I just happened to book my trip last year which coincided with Nuit Blanche.
I was quite excited at witnessing this event but it turned out to be a "non-event" in reality.
The evening started with a wonderful dinner with two other Fodorites and then we went off to find the action......maybe we looked in all the wrong places but there were no fireworks so to speak. We tried to go on a Seine cruise at around midnight but the only floating device around was the Batobus. Unfortunately the queues were a mile long and we called it a night.
Having said all that, I don't think Nuit Blanche has anything to do with the hotel rates. What might cause a ripple is the Fetes Vendages taking place in Montmarte for 3 days in the first week of October. The celebration of the harvesting of the grapes in Montmartre's famous little vineyard takes place all around Sacre Coeur - now that was fun!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM

One possible reason for a spike in hotel rates would be the two-day festival of Thoroughbred racing at Longchamp, which takes place the first Saturday and Sunday in October, and culminates with the running of the Arc de Triomphe, Europe’s most prestigious race.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I think it may well be that there is a Paris fashion show that week.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:05 AM

A great site for checking on events going on when you are traveling, is

www.whatsonwhen.com

I can search by country, city, event (as in "Opera" for instance) and any other number of search categories. I use this site often to plan my itinerary and events while traveling.

Buon viaggio! (or more appropriately, Bon Voyage)...
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM

The first two weeks are fashion weeks.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies. As it turns out, you are all correct! It is all happening at once,
I would love to experience Nuit Blanch, but, unfortunately, my sister and leave Paris 9/30 after a week. Maybe next year!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Of course, that should read "my sister and I leave"
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:23 AM

It isn't Nuit Blanche, which isn't a big tourist event to fill hotels. It is fashion shows PLUS I think the Paris Automobile SHow is also that week. Hotel rates always go up in the Fall, but I don't think too many hotels raise rates specifically just for that week -- although I know a couple do and it is always trade shows of many kinds.