Paris and ... where else should I visit?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Eric

Paris and ... where else should I visit?

I'm planning on a 2 week vacation with at least 5 nights in Paris. Where else should I visit? Brugges and Brussels in Belgium look great - or would you recommend I spend the rest of my time in France. Any suggestions? Besides Paris, I would like to see historic villages and/or cities with beautiful architecture and excellent atmosphere. I'll be renting a car to get around. Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
nik

dont go to brussels it is really boring and dirty. lille north of paris is a nice city and from paris it is only a few hours to amsterdam which is a city everyone should visit

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Grasshopper

Eric, You will get LOTS of suggestions here. Let me start with Lyon (you can take the TGV there in 2 hours - no need for a car) which is an incredible city with a ton of history. Or the Loire Valley (again, I would take the TGV to Tours and then rent a car) and see the beautiful chateaux. Personally, I didn't think Brussels was at all boring or dirty and it's got all of the European Community buildings and Nato going for it as well as lots of historical areas. Finally, I really loved Strasbourg and the Alsace region.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
BTilke

Much as I like living in Brussels, yes, much of it is dirty (especially compared to Switzerland where I am now) and boring to the tourist. Bruges would be a better bet, especially given Eric's preference for cities with beautiful architecture and atmosphere (to get the most of Bruges atmosphere, you must stay overnight; the city has a completely different feel when the mobs of day trippers have gone home).

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
marj

Take the train to Amsterdam (just a little further than belgium). Don't need a car in Amsterdam. It's a great little city.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Bob

Don't miss Normandy!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Joe

Bretagne!!