Paris and London Hotels Restaurants

Old May 7th, 2019, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris and London Hotels Restaurants

Hi All - we are 2 adults (68 +70) going to Paris in late June for 7 nights. It is our first time in Paris. Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels in a decent area, restaurants and/or other tips, ideas. We are then going on to London for 5 nights and looking for the same (hotels, restaurants, tips/ideas.) APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE.
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:06 AM

ahje, unless you have a preferred area it’s hard to give recommendations, also what do you mean by a decently priced hotel? I’m not trying to be nasty but price and accommodation mean different things to different people. We frequently spend time in Paris and our preferred area is on the Left Bank in the 5th or 6th arrondissements, many find that area too touristy but for us it’s quite convenient. Then there are areas with better/lower priced accommodations not right in the tourist hub. Since this is your first time in Paris my only recommendation would be something closer in, this is only my opinion. As long as there is a Metro nearby and good connections you’ll be fine.

As to London, we like the area near Westminster Bridge, again, touristy but we find it convenient.

I’d take a look at something like booking.com and do a hotel search and book asap. Late June is high tourist season and hotels are likely filling up fast.

i know this isn’t much help but hopefully it’s a starting point. Enjoy your time in Paris & London.
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:09 AM

ahje, you’d probably get more recommendations and help if you posted this in the Europe travel board instead of the Lounge. Good luck.
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:30 AM

You posted in the wrong place. But before you post in the right one it would behoove you to refine your requests. "A decent area" means nothing. Neither does " reasonably priced." There are at least 40,000 restaurants in Paris - what, specifically, are you looking for? All areas of Paris are decent.What do you want to see and do?

Use some adjectives. Get detailed. Otherwise, you won't get any useful answers.
Old May 7th, 2019, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it hard to believe an elderly couple is travelling to Paris and London for the first time next month and they haven't booked hotels yet.

Thin��

Last edited by Moderator1; May 7th, 2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old May 7th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Europe Forum
Old May 7th, 2019, 06:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your questions are waaaaay too broad. Give us some help - What sorts of things do you enjoy? Have you been to London before? What sites have you already picked out?

One of the most important - What is your budget? Can't recommend any hotels or restaurants without knowing how much you want to spend.
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - not sure how to post there, but it appears someone moved the post I made. This is a surprise trip, so we are not as planned as we normally would be. We were told that the 7th or 6th Arr may be good for first time visitors. Looking for hotels from $200-$250 range in that area.
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:14 AM

7th or 6th are fine, but so are lots of other arrondissements. "We were told" usually means by people with minimal knowledge. Start thinking in terms of euros, not dollars.

We still need loads more info from you to provide any semblance of usable advice.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:36 PM

About the Eurostar train between London and Paris - be sure to book tickets as early as possible - often months in advance - to get deep discounts over full fare but those limited in number seats can sell out quickly - www.eurostar.com - www.seat61.com has great advice on booking your own tickets online. General info trains like 1st v 2nd cl, etc also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:38 PM

You did not post your OP (Original Post) in the Europe Forum but in some other forum so Moderators moved it to Europe Forum to your benefit.
Old May 7th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Here is where we ate in Paris last month; all these meals were dinners, and all were under 40€ per person for three courses. Everyone of these was outstanding.

LeMazenay
Pottoka
Aux Buerre Radis
Hebe
L'Ange 20
and lunch at Cafe Central in the 7th. Two of these came from Fodorites.
Boucheron Roulliere was disappointing.
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your list of places to eat and the price sounds great (we live in NJ Bergen County and really good restaurants are usually higher priced) - I really appreciate your input
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:44 PM

ahje, you are very welcome. The effort to research really paid off for us. We were on a tight budget but wanted to eat well.
Old May 7th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Restaurants I have enjoyed a lot in Paris: (check websites for current prices)

La Cerisae in Montparnasse, tiny, reservations essential.

Philou near the Canal St. Martin, also tiny, must reserve.

Neva Cuisine near the Gare St. Lazare. Don’t miss the chocolate sphere for dessert; they pour hôte chocolate over it so it melts to reveal the ice cream inside.

Le Violon d’Ingres, very special and somewhat more expensive.

In London:

Merchants Tavern in Shoreditch

Scully St. James’s, very creative and delicioius

Medlar in Chelsea, French, excellent bargain lunch menu.
Old May 7th, 2019, 09:55 PM

Set the restaurants aside for now. Pepper (Thin) is right. You should be concerned about not having a hotel yet. I just ran this search for you, and saw very few.

What I did: booking.com. Entered June 23-30, Paris. Selected 8+ for reviews. Set filter for top amount of $250. Used Map view.

Below are the results I got. I don't know these hotels, others here will. From a glance, I thought that Vaneau and des Artistes looked really pretty. Your options are limited. If you don't order really soon, you either lower your level to a 7+ on quality reviews. Or stay farther out. Or increase your budget.

Bastille De Launay (11th)
Hotel Albe Saint Michel (5th)
Hôtel Vaneau Saint Germain (7th)
Hôtel A La Villa des Artistes (6th)
Arcadie Montparnasse (14th)
Hotel Acadia - Astotel (9th)
Le Relais du Maris (3rd) -- one room would be more expensive, as it is selling out.
Old May 8th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
start thinking in terms of euros, not dollars. Not sure why when they are only about 12 cents different at the moment.

For Paris I recommend 5th, Latin Quarter as being central, busy, fun and easy to get around. Or 7th which feels slightly more neighborhood-y. You can look up Rick Steves recommendations. He's big on the Rue Cler area. And picks moderately priced places like you are seeking. I have "minimal" knowledge only.
Old May 9th, 2019, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate the input from all of you. We do have a hotel reservation, but I am looking to see if there are better alternatives. At this time my son (who is treating us to Paris) has made a reservation at Hotel 34B. It may be in a busy area and so we are scouting for an area perhaps less busy, but since we have never been there it is hard to tell.

If any of you have a favorite hotel, restaurant or things you do in Paris, please share. We love small out of the way places with good food (like all types) that is most representative of Paris.
Old May 9th, 2019, 04:27 AM

What a wonderful thing for your son to do! I think your hotel is not in a bad area at all. There are certainly lots of local restaurants nearby. If you are a walker you are just blocks away from rue des Martyrs, thé street Elaine Sciolano’s Thé Only Street in Paris is written about.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- where are you booked in London?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -