Paris and Amsterdam - 14 days

Oct 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone....My wife and I are planning a trip to Paris and Amsterdam. Ideally we would like to fly into Paris spend around 8 nights and then take the train to Amsterdam for 5 or 6 nights. From Amsterdam we would do day trip (s) to Haarlem and Delft.
We also would like to visit London but are worried it may not be enough time. Any thoughts? Is it worth spending a night or two in Brussels or possible Brugges?
Oct 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM

IMO your question is a little difficult to answer.

Have you been ot any of these places before?

How did you decide that you needed 8 nights in Paris or is that just because you want 8 nights there?

What are you planning to see and do in Paris/Amsterdam? Are you willing to sacrifice several nights from either or both cities to do several nights in London?

I am sure there will be people who will automatically say you aren't spending enough time in either or both the cities. Those assertions are obviously based on their own personal experiences and objectives which may or may not be the same as yours.
Oct 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM

Since, because of the UK's air passenger duty (APD) tax, it costs so much more to fly out of the UK than it costs to fly out from the continent, I suggest you book your flights to land first is London, spend a few days, take a cheap flight to Amsterdam for maybe three days, and take the train to Paris. Fly home from Paris.
Oct 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM

If you are willing to spend a little less time in Amsterdam and Paris, you can spend a little time in London. How about 4 days in London, 3 in Amsterdam and 7 in Paris? I agree that flying into London and out of Paris makes more sense because of the London airport taxes. I would choose either London or Brussels/Bruges. You can't do all of these places in 14 days.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 02:33 AM

Hello Traveller84- my first question is: in what season are you planning this trip?
In Spring allow for an extra day to visit Keukenhof (spring flowers) near Haarlem.

Personally I'm the 'less is more' type and feel that Paris and Amsterdam (with maybe one or two nights spent in between these in beautiful Brussels or Ghent) would be enough. It all depends on your interest. Are you e.g. interested in history and arts then 14 days in the above mentioned cities would be enough. You need to allow time for all the impressions to sink in, to enjoy leisurely meals and to just watch the world go by. I hate it when people try to cram in too much and later on hardly know where they have been let alone what they have seen. In all the aforementioned cities I would choose to stay in Bed and Breakfasts rather than in large hotels but that's me. In Paris I would look for an apartment slightly away from the tourist areas and take a metro.

Here are some links:

http://www.bedandbreakfast.nl/?gclid...FVMftAodsBYAkg (The Netherlands in English)
http://maisondhote.com/en (both Belgium and The Netherlands)

Have fun planning and afterwards bon voyage!
Oct 2nd, 2013, 06:37 AM

Bruges to me is one of the finest cities in Europe in tems of old-worldishness - ancient Flemish warehouses lining ancient quays redolent of the time when Bruges' port was one of the largest in the world until it silted up leaving Bruges high and dry and the port action moved over to Antwerp.

Thus Bruges slumbered along rather untouched until now when it has thoroughly restored its old facades - one great city - try to stay overnight when the city takes on a simple magic feelings when the humpbacked drawbridges are wondrously lit.

Then it is about 3.5 hours by train to Amsterdam.

For lots of great stuff on Benelux trains check out www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com. There is a Benelux Railpass valid on trains in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg to boot - jus hop on any train anytime except Thalys trains which impose an absurd supplement on railpass holders - you need not take any Thalys trains on your routings in Benelux.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 06:40 AM

Bruges to me is one of the finest cities in Europe in tems of old-worldishness - ancient Flemish warehouses lining ancient quays redolent of the time when Bruges' port was one of the largest in the world until it silted up leaving Bruges high and dry and the port action moved over to Antwerp.

Thus Bruges slumbered along rather untouched until now when it has thoroughly restored its old facades - one great city - try to stay overnight when the city takes on a simple magic feelings when the humpbacked drawbridges are wondrously lit.

Then it is about 3.5 hours by train to Amsterdam.

For lots of great stuff on Benelux trains check out www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com. There is a Benelux Railpass valid on trains in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg to boot - jus hop on any train anytime except Thalys trains which impose an absurd supplement on railpass holders - you need not take any Thalys trains on your routings in Benelux.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 06:40 AM

sorry bout doduble post - blame it on Fodor's snail like speeds today.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM

Posted by: Traveller84 on Oct 1, 13 at 2:23pm
Ideally we would like to fly into Paris spend around 8 nights and then take the train to Amsterdam for 5 or 6 nights. From Amsterdam we would do day trip (s) to Haarlem and Delft.
We also would like to visit London but are worried it may not be enough time. Any thoughts? Is it worth spending a night or two in Brussels or possible Brugges?

For an illustrated introduction to riding the trains in Europe see http://tinyurl.com/eym5b. I would cut a couple of nights from Paris and spend them in Brugge on your way to Amsterdam. Skip Brussels. London deserves a week or more. It would be a blur for only a couple of days. Haarlem and Delft are good day trips from Amsterdam.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and information.

We are planning for the trip in the spring. Right now are looking at prices for an open jaw flight or return from the same city either Paris or Amsterdam.

I am leaning toward doing Amsterdam - Bruges - Paris. Depending on what we decide with itinerary and netherlands day trips may skip Bruges.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:45 AM

Traveller84 on Oct 2, 13 at 1:24pm
We are planning for the trip in the spring.

Keukenhof http://tinyurl.com/5nwqzp is a nice visit in April and May, weather permitting.
Oct 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM

Keukenhof Gardens are fantastic - THE showcase of Holland's prestigious flower industry - set right in the center of the largest flower/bulb growing fields in Holland - avoid weekends when the locals flock here for the best experience.

http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/775/entrance-2014.html
Oct 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Skip London this trip, a week in Paris and a week in Amsterdam with day trips is doable, and sounds fantastic, I know, I've done it. Brugges would take at least 2 nights, but squeeze that in if you can, instead of London.
Oct 6th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Amsterdam and Paris with a few places in between would be a perfect trip. The Netherlands is beautiful in Spring. You will be so close - don't skip Bruges, but do stay overnight. Ghent is also lovely. For an interesting novel about Amsterdam, get a copy of Tulip Fever by Deborah Morggaugh ( not sure of the spelling). At the risk of seeming sexist, your wife will probaby enjoy it more than you, but it is an exciting tale.