Paris/Amsterdam Mid-July

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris/Amsterdam Mid-July

I'm looking for any advise, tips, must sees and day trip options. My wife, 16 year old daughter & I will be spending 4 days in Paris & 4 days in Amsterdam, this July. I realize mid-july is not the ideal time to visit European cities but our 16 year old is still in school. Also, is Disney in Paris worth the trip. Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM

We enjoy both Paris and Amsterdam, but Paris has quite a bit more to it than AMS. My first suggestion would therefore be to split it 5/3 in favor of Paris instead of 4/4. Now, did you REALLY go to Europe to see DISNEY stuff?! Get yourself a couple of guidebooks and start picking out stuff you want to see. (I recommend DK Books Eyewitness guides.)
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Been to both, and agree strongly, give Paris the 5th day( and you will still not see 1/2 of what is there) and you will still see Ansterdam easily in 3.
Do not miss Ann Franks house, I saw it the first time when I was 13,, and it was very moving, I saw it again when I was 23 , and it was even more moving,, don't miss. Honestly if I told you what I recall about my trip to Amsterdam at 13 it sounds like a corny tour,, ( but it wasn't , it was just my Parisiene granmother wanting to show me what she thought Amsterdam was) , so we went on tours to Cheese Factories, Wooden Shoe factories, Delf China showrooms, and a Windmill of course.

Now, ask me what I remember of my trip there when I was 23,, LOL< ummm coffee shops and the Red Light District,, two different Amsterdams, and neither one really " real" LOL

Paris , if you can make it at least a 5 day visit I recommend Versailles, have daughter watch the dvd Marie Antionette with Kirsten Dunst in it( she'll know who that is) and she'll be even more interested.
Other must sees in no particular order:
Eiffel Tower
Arc De Triomphe( go UP it, incredible view)
Notre Dame
Lourve
Orsay Museum
St Chapelle( a tiny jewel box of stained glass chapel)
Boat Cruise( I prefer night time ones)

I hope you have booked room,, Paris is busy in July.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM

I like Amsterdam a lot, but absolutely make it a 5/3 split with more time in Paris (I'd even go so far to say 6/2, but at that point, you might as well spend the whole time in Paris.) Paris has ten times as much to see and so.

Skip Disney. I'd say maybe go if your daughter were 6, but she's 16, and your time is much better spent doing things you can only do in Paris. You will have no problem filling 5 days with sights in Paris. Not only doing the "must-sees" listed above but also just wandering around the neighborhoods like the Marais and Montmartre.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:54 PM

My daughter is 16 and prefers Amsterdam to Paris, not for the drugs (in case anyone is thinking that) but because of the people and the culture. Paris is more educational for her, because she practices French there, and she still likes it, but Amsterdam is her favorite. You won't run out of things to do with only 4 days in Amsterdam particularly as there are dozens of possible daytrips. Plus, Amsterdam is likely to have cooler weather in the summer, but no guarantees.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Mambo_

Our family really enjoyed our five nights in Amsterdam. We liked the Hotel Residence le Coin there. They have relatively large rooms, and probably can accommodate three. Each room has a tiny kitchenette, and a rather new bathroom (the hotel itself is new-ish, built in six row houses).
>-