Amsterdam or Paris for 4 days in August?

Jul 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam or Paris for 4 days in August?

We are going to Europe for four days. No particular reason. Would love some feedback on which would be a better choice.
THANKS!
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi laura,

Since you are asking, I deduce that you have not been to either.

Therefore, the answer must be Paris.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Absolutely, Paris! I've never been there, but having just returned from Amsterdam, I'd say "skip it!" IMO:The canals and architecture are neat but other than that, it's just another big city.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:54 AM

A third vote for Paris.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Absolutely Paris.

Amsterdam wasn't inspiring at all, I don't particularly care for Paris, but it's preferable to Amsterdam!
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Another vote for Paris.
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Why these two?
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:18 AM
jay

Six for Paris.
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Paris (yes I've been to both)! No contest.
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I vote for Paris. Haven't been to Amsterdam yet but I think 4 days would be more than enough (for me personally).
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:18 AM

I have been to both. I used the Fodor's guide to Amsterdam and found I could 'do' the City in about a day/day and a half. If you include some hanging around, train trip to countryside (Aalsmeer/Volendam) you could use up the four days. It is a picturesque and interesting place, with some good indonesian restaurants.

But....if I had to choose, I would definitely choose Paris. Four days only gets you started to see and 'feel' Paris.
Beautiful streets and buildings, cafés, patisseries, enormous choice of restaurants, great neighbourhoods, history, art,etc...
Mike
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:41 AM

I have been to both and would say that 4 days would be the perfect trip to Amsterdam and 4 weeks would be better for Paris. Also, despite 4 inches of snow on the ground on my last visit to Amsterdam, I would think the weather would be much more pleasant than Paris in august.Amsterdam has at least 3 great museums, varied and interesting cuisine and is the best airport and train convenience of any city of its size. For only 4 days I would go to Amsterdam and save Paris for more time and not August.
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Um, I've lived in Paris -- and if you've found a cheap flight, I would make it A'dam.

You will get the best Dutch weather of the year & be able to stroll the canal-lined streets, just having a 'fluitje' (very small beer) at every cafe terrace you come across . . . and when you tire of A'dam city center, its architecture/museums/culture, you can hit the beach: the scene at Zandfoort is a lot of fun during the height of summer (or daytrip it to Delft, Leiden, Utrecht, etc. etc.) Rent a bike! Cycle out and pack a picnic lunch by some windmills!

Paris becomes even more of a museum during August, as all Parisians not involved in the service trade escape to the countryside. Seriously. The only time I've got surly service has been during high August -- the wait staff are all bitter and twisted they're not lazing by the water with the rest of their family (indeed, the entire country). It can be stiflingly hot, and simply heaving with tourists.

Do A'dam. Paris will still be there for your next trip!
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:24 AM

If they're the only choices than Paris.If your open to suggestion than It would be London.
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

THANKS! Actually it could be London too. We have a good fare and need some frequent flyer miles! I have heard Paris is not so great in August but that is when we have to go.
I have been to Paris twice, London once, and Amsterdam never (except for a connecting flight).
I really appreciate the feedback!
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Hmmm... hearing that (you've been already to Paris twice) and with only 4 days to spend, I'm changing my vote to Amsterdam!! Visit the Leidseplein district, Vondelpark, museums if you like, canal boat tour, etc. Lovely and probably cooler in August.
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Try Amsterdam then (or wherever you can get a direct flight), unless you've a compelling reason for Paris (of course, it's always compelling, but you've been twice, so it'd be nice to see somewhere else for a change, no?).

Also, if you plan the trip well, you can always squeeze in a day in Paris (the train takes about 4 hours from Amsterdam, probably, so it's not that unreasonable).
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:59 AM

I just came back from a week in London-Paris-Amsterdam yesterday. I ranked the cities in this order: London-Amsterdam-Paris. It rained every day when I was in Paris which made it harder to navigate the city.

If you've never been to Amsterdam then I think that's where you should go. I dont know your travelling pace, but I think you can check out the touristy spots (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank Haus, Heineken Brewery, Rembrandthaus) in two days, and squeeze in some time also to check out their open markets. And take a day trip to Den Haag or Delft.

I wish I were going with you. Happy travels!
Jul 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM

A'dam in August for the aforementioned reasons - pleasant weather, French vacation exodus.
Obviously, Paris is in a league of its own (almost, there's this Spanish city called Barcelona) but August is probably the least desirable summer month to visit.
Jul 16th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

We are going to AMsterdam. The decision was made for us because the reservation for the other places cancelled last night at midnight and this one stayed. So we are going on a Fri, get in at noon on a Sat. Come home Wed afternoon. So quick trip.
Any ideas?
THANKS!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO