Search

Paris alone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Karen

Paris alone

I am spending four days alone in Paris this weekend prior to my husband joining me. I travel frquently, and have been to Paris several times. I have seen the major sites of the city - and am looking for a few unusual or out of the way museums. Also - does anyone know any cooking schools that offer weekend classes? Thanks, Karen

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:59 AM
lili

there's aren't THAT out of the way, but with all that paris has to offer, they often get left out: museum of modern art in the eiffel tower area palace (NOT pompidou), the dali museum on mont martre, musee marmottan, pantheon (climb to top for 360 view of paris), holocoust mamorial on ile st. louis (very hidden and unusual), catacombs

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Peg

Karen, I have been to Le Cordon Bleu many times and really enjoy their Gourmet Sessions that take place on Saturday. You arrive early for croissants and coffee, have class until around noon when they present a lovely buffet lunch prepared by the full time students and then return to class for the rest of the afternoon. I see on their website that the class offered this weekend is called "Cooking for Friends" and you'll find a description there. You can book online so if they still have space available for this weekend, it can be taken care of in short order. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your time alone in Paris. I love being there on my own to visit markets and just explore different neighborhoods.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:15 AM
elaine

Karen<BR>scroll down on today's messages and look for the thread on Viaduc des Arts, not a museum, but plenty of crafts to admire and buy.<BR>Or try one of these<BR>Musee de la Vie Romantique, devoted to 19th century artists like Chopin, George Sand (the focus of the museum), etc. address. closed Mon<BR><BR>Another "literary" museum: La Maison de Balzac, 47 rue Raynourard, 16th<BR>phone (0)1 42 24 56 38<BR>closed Mondays.<BR><BR>At 158 boulevard Haussmann is the Musee Jacquemart-Andre, formerly a private residence (built 1875) and private art collection left to the state. Closed Mondays. The museum's motto is that it is the most sumptuous residence in Paris, and since I haven't seen the Elysees (Presidential) Palace, so far I agree. In addition to the gorgeous architecture and furnishings, there is an impressive collection of Italian Renaissance and also French 18th century art. You will see works by Tiepolo, Boucher, Titian, Donatello, Botticelli, and many others. It is a user-friendly museum, with plenty of places to sit down. Thre is also a lovely tea room that features lunch foods like good salads and quiches. Sunday brunch is served. Tea room open daily 11:30-5. <BR><BR>Musee Nissim de Camondo: the rooms have 18th century furniture, paintings, and antiques. Even the kitchens are fascinating, restored to their original early-20th century state.<BR>Don't miss Catherine the Great's silver soup tureens. The building's architecture is patterned after the Petit Trianon at Versailles.<BR>63 rue de Monceau, 8th<BR><BR>For music lovers: Look for the Musee Adam Mickiewicz which is within the Polish Library at 5 Quai d'Orleans. The Quai is on the south side of Ile St. Louis, that is, the side facing the left bank. Adam Mickiewicz was a Polish patriot and poet and a contemporary of Chopin. The first floor of the museum is devoted to Chopin memorabilia including a death mask, music and autographs of Chopin. From October to June the museum is open on Thursday afternoons. <BR><BR>Also Musee de la Musique (in the Parc de la Vilette).<BR>From early Stradivarius violins to Gibson electric guitars. Listen to the commentary in English via headphones. You can have lunch at Caf&eacute; de la Musique. 221 Avenue Jean-Jaures, 19th, 01 44 84 45 45 <BR> www.cite-musique.fr<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Bob Brown

I presume you have been to Ste. Chapelle, because I rate that as a major sight or site, as you prefer.<BR>I found the Musee Marmotton interesting because you could see how Monet's thoughts progressed and how he experimented with shades of color and intensity. I could see what he was doing; the same thing any good artist does: he tried ideasand compared until he could achieve just the effect he wanted. And when it was right he knew it! <BR>If you have not been to Vaux le Vicomte, I warmly recommend visiting it.<BR>We took a bus tour with a guide, and by so doing we had transportation to the door and we were able to ascend into the dome, which was a rare treat for me because I could see the extra ordinary engineering that was required to put it into place back before high lift cranes were available.<BR>If you have done all these, then I am out of suggestions. (Of course I would check out the Opera de la Bastille and, failing that, head for the Louvre for some highly incomplete viewing.)<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Karen

These sounds wonderful! I am headed to the Cordon Bleu website next. Marmottan sounds wonderful - as does the Musee Jacquemart-Andre and the Vaux le Vicomte. Thank you for these great ideas.<BR>Karen

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:01 PM
SharonG

I loved going to Malmaison. It's in a little suburb and you take a bus to get there from La Defense. You can find directions on the internet. I am a student of Napoleon so going there was a big treat. Lovely gift shop and grounds.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:21 PM
alex

You may also wish to see the Picasso Museum in the 4th arrondissement,the Victor Hugo museum at Vosges (4th), the Rodin (7th), the Delacroix Museum (and St. Sulpice Church for some of his major works)and the Crypte Archeologique at the Parvis Notre Dame (and the Notre Dame Museum)(all 5th).The Holocaust memorial (Memorial de la Deportation), worth a visit, is on Ile de la Cite, facing Ile St. Louis, I believe.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:27 PM
alex

Could kick myself for omitting the Museum of the Middle (Moyen) Ages, home of some exquisite tapestries (as well as Roman ruins), including the 15th century Unicorn Tapestries, also in the 5th.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:59 PM
bobbie

Elvira recently posted her off-the-beaten-path excursions around Paris that you may want to read about. I think it's called "I see Paris" but if not do a search for Elvira and see Paris through her eyes. Probably not in any guide books but certainly very entertaining.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Karen

I found Elvira's post. It really is quite amazing. When eating out, are single diners likely to get bad service in Paris(as they generally do in the U.S.?) <BR><BR>Once again, everyone's help is greatly appreciated. <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Diana

Musee Gustave Moreau is a fascinating place. It's at 14 Rue de la REouchefoucauld, 9 arondissement. He was a symbolist paper "known for his vivid, imaginative works depicting biblical and mythological fantasies." He converted his home into this museum which he left to the state. In addition to all the paintings on the walls, Moreau constructed cabinets and other ways in which he has available for perusal the sketching on drawings on which the paintings are based. Phone is 01-48-74-38-50.<BR><BR>This past summer my husband and I took the RER train about 40 minutes to Chantilly where we saw the Fouquet miniatures done for the Duc Du Berry in the Chateau Condee, set in a beautiful park. Chantilly is also the headquarters of French horseracing and has an (supposedly--we didn't go there)<BR>interesting museum right near the Musee Condee.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Louis

I want to stress that the Musee de la Musiques already mentioned is truly an unusual museum that few know about It has old instruments on display. You receive a fm receiver and earphones in the language you desire. As your stand near many of the displays you hear a few words about the history of the instrument and then you hear it played. It goes all of the way up the jazz period. There are few people there and you can spend a half of a day enjoying yourself. There is a cafe on the grounds. This is truly worth a full half day but check the hours. Also, check the schedule for concerts at the Chapel in Ste. Chappelle. This is a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Karen

Thanks Louis, I am definitely going to try the Musee de la Musiques. I love music - just wish I could really play one well. <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 09:43 AM
elvira

A part of French history has an impact on women dining alone:<BR>During both World Wars, France lost many soldiers, leaving the country with thousands of war widows who were/are viewed as sort of national heroes. Consequently, a woman alone, for the last 75 years or so, is most likely a war widow and she is accorded great respect; therefore, she is treated with dignity in a restaurant, not as pariah. Obviously the number of war widows is much less than in years past, but the habit is still there.<BR><BR>The only place I've ever had an attitude thrown at me as a single diner was at Jules Verne in Paris - yeah yeah everyone else has had a great experience there, but I didn't as a woman alone.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Karen

Thanks Elvira. That is very interesting. Do you think the custom extends to 30ish women? I just read your post about your most recent trip to Paris - its great!